1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] For Rockets' Hill, defense no slam dunk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Jul 12, 2010.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7103943.html

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

throw it down hill ;)

3. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Certainly hope TYY's recap on tonight's game will show more insight on what went on. We all know by now that Hill's been struggling. Wonder how Patrick did though?

4. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

He won't start the season as the backup c but he will develop enough during the season to earn the position from _______........ I guess chuck/anderson (depending on matchup) starts the season as backup c with the roster as is, correct?!

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I just watched the game again, focusing on Jordan Hill's defensive effort and it wasn't that bad. Most importantly he appeared to be hustling the whole time not taking breaks. he clearly is adjusting to his assignments of rolling over for weakside help and he needs to box out better for rebounds but overall he is giving a good effort. When you consider how much work his been doing lately and how tired he must have been, I was impressed.

I expect you will see his best effort yet on wednesday. I still would like to have a better back up for Yao but I do not want to break the bank to do it. ANd if Hill can strengthen his lower body and listen to everything the coaches teach and hangout with Hayes learning how to slap the ball away. And also how to take a charge I think he might be better anyone else we can get cheap. Maybe a lot better and that would be a pleasant surprise for me.

I thought he looked a lot more in the game then Patterson who seems to be a bit lost out there. Of course he is a rookie with a lot of knowledge to absorb. But he is a hard worker and I am not worried about him.

I am becoming less worried about hill who I think just might be the best backup we can get. maybe even a better defender than Miller if bulks up a little more.

2 people like this.
  6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Hill is far from Kendrick Perkins in tenacity and toughness in patrolling the paint. He certainly doesn't show much go-to initiate to score with the ball in iso situations, what we're used to seeing in Scola and from Landry's tenure. He's best scoring off putbacks, kickouts and cuts to the basket. What he did last year with the Rockets.

Hill benefited from being a little better on defense than Landry, which didnt take much effort to do. At least we assumed he was. Also from being better on offense than Chuck and Jeffries, again NOT difficult. Setup by his lonesome going against true centers, Hill's looking overmatched. And curiously tentative, listless and disinterested at times. Or maybe he's thinking too much, paralysis by analysis.

Patterson seems the type to eventually absorb the playbook and figure out the little nuances of the position. A very safe option. Hill shouldnt feel set that he'll get minutes next season.

1 person likes this.
  7. MD_in_Training

Maybe the Knicks were right about Hill. I guess we'll find out soon.

8. Raven

Raven Member

He's going to be a solid bench player that we essentially got for free. I'm not wigging out over his "lack of progress". There's a reason Morey wanted Bosh, folks. He knows what Hill's upside is and it's not all star caliber. So what?

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He does not look like a center, at this point NBA centers are going to eat him alive. Not sure he has the frame to bulk up either.

10. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

thank God yao is coming back. I'm in Vegas now for a tradeshow but luckily missed the game last night. I did get to watch the last half from the hotel and it wasnt pretty. First thing I noticed was Hill getting burned by the first 2-3 plays I watched. Def not a true center.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

At least we weren't the ones who burned the #8 pick on him, ahead of Brandon Jennings.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Hill, still has a long way to go. Very raw on offense. Luckily, we won't have to rely on him as a go-to low post scorer. I laughed out loud when somebody said he was going to be better than Bosh.

13. valorita

valorita Member

Hill seems to be confused in summer league right now because they are asking him to do too much. He needs to focus on two things: Rebounding and protecting the paint. Let's get a whole season where he does those things well (ala Birdman) then maybe next summer we can ask more from him. One thing at a time...

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I disagree. It's obvious he sucks and doesn't have the drive, determination or skill to make it in the league. We should cut him now, he sucks and can't be a backup C or even a PF, and the knicks were right, and we should LOL at him because he isn't dominating summer league like that dude a while back, Colvin Keto who totally dominated summer league.

Srsly, OMG, we should this guy is a LOL cat and ORLY he can't play. Totally. Dude.

15. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I am not going to pass judgement on a guy after 3 summer league games. We are asking him to play a new position and learn new responsibilities this summer. Like be a go-to-scorer in the post. This is new for him. He has only been working on it for a couple of months now. Give him time. Looks like alot of you guys are wanting the 2nd coming of Dream. He will not be that. We just need him to be a solid player for the next couple of years while Yao is still playing. I think after more work this summer he will be fine. When he plays with better players on the floor it will be easier for him.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

So the Rockets do not like Jordan Hill. We got it. How else can you explain that in his report JONATHAN FEIGEN didn't mention Pat Pat's name even once when the new draftee sucked more than Hill?

Player Min FG/FGA REB PTS
    P. Pat 32:22 0/5 7 2
    J. Hill 29:21 4/9 9 10

17. rocketschamp3

rocketschamp3 Member

its just summer league i think he will get it together before the year starts if not hopefully jefries plays good defense

18. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

Maybe because the article was focusing on HILL and not on Patterson. Why would he be talking about Patterson when the article is about Hill that makes no sense.

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Feigen himself wrote in the report: "... But the Rockets big men struggled."

I didn't know the entire Rockets big men crew consists of only Jordan Hill.