1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Smith Speculation: Stromile Swift + No. 8 for No. 2?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stephen1616, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Stephen1616

Stephen1616 Contributing Member

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That's just sam thinking out loud. I guess I would do it, and draft Rudy Gay. But it's not really worth discussing along with 90% of the trade suggestions that Sam Smith will throw out there. This trade just isn't going to happen.

3. docgundy

docgundy Member

Sam Smith was right about us being all over Morrison. We'll see.

4. dream2franchise

In a heartbeat...its always the same line of thinking in terms of swift..
    if (insert coach name here) can inspire him then he can reach his potential...hell even we though the same!

I don't believe Paxson is that dumb though...

5. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I would do it. I'd even throw in our 2nd rounder.

I'd even consider Swift, Head and 8th for #2 and #16.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Let's pretend for a minute the Bulls are willing to do this.......

Do we still go for a perimeter player or should we take Aldridge or Bargnani and make it essentially a swap of Swift for one of those two??

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i would do it and take brandon roy.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

on second thought, offer Jho and #8. he would be a better fit for them. he'll bring vet leadership and someone they can go to in the post. swift and chandler are too similar. I bet the bulls might actually prefer Jho.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This is Smith. He is worth less. As in worth less than Vecsey. Waste of time.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No way.....there is no consensus top pick...number 2 is almost as risky as number 8, and you are getting rid of a talented player too....sure he has not fit in totally yet, but we need more players not less.

Now if it is J-ho...yes.

DD

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think most people missed this. You were the first one on here talking about the NBA switching balls. What have you heard about the Rockets and AM?

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If the Rockets could get rid of Swift's salary I would trade backwards from #8 down to #10.

13. jhou

jhou Member

these 5 draft scenarios are crap, why would the Bulls want Grant Hill, yea he's a veteran, but he has so many injuries. Boston won't think about trading Pierce until theyre garunteed another star player. If they trade Pierce, then who's there the lead the team? Stromile Swift has been proven a bust, so why would Chicago want him. The only way Swift has a chance of getting better is with a good passing pg. Hinrich isnt a better passing pg than Rafer Alston, so Swift probably wont develop well in Chicago. It'll be a miracle if we can get the #2 pick.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I would take Aldridge if available, Bargnani is too risky IMO, and even if he pans out, it wouldn't be for another 3-4 seasons. Aldridge would provide almost everything we need, rebounding/defense/scoring/and actually provides a combination of being able to contribute now and having a ton of potential.

Roy would be my 2nd pick. He's an all around SG that can shoot the ball, he also has good size too.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he may be a waste of time, but to say he is worth less than Vecsey is a little over board. Vescey is not only worthless is at times openly hostile towards the Rockets, and it comes from his own self centered blindness.

Smith is just a waste of time.

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Why? I know we all like to hyperbolize on how disappointing he has been, but he's still on a very cap-friendly contract and is still very tradeable. You don't give up two draft spots just to unload him. He has positive value.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And some coach/GM is always going to look at the incredible athleticism, that "P" thing, and figure they can get him to play the right way. That's how so many crazy trades get made, but enough players do excel in another system, for another coach, to keep teams taking chances on players like Swift. I think this deal is extremely unlikely, most likely BS or a Smith fantasy trade idea, but Swift does have a good contract. Who knows? I'd jump on it if the deal were offered. It won't be.

Wouldn't we have to take a contract back? Who? (just for grins ;) )

18. Swami

Swami Member

I would make that trade with Chicago in a NY second (no pun intended) and be very very happy to add either Aldridge or Gay to the Rockets mix. Stromile Swift has been a bust, and I don't think he will ever fit in with Van Gundy.

19. docgundy

docgundy Member

Back in April or early May, Sam Smith wrote that the Rockets had Adam Morrison number 1 on their list, but of course, many people took it with a grain of salt. This was before the lottery. A few weeks back, maybe 2 or 3, there was another source, I believe ESPN before the lottery, that said that the Rockets would take Morrison if they got a top 3 pick or if they traded up. It's on one of the older threads here on this forum. It's one thing for the Rockets to want Morrison, but its another to actually get him. Personally, I think we can get a player who has just as much an impact as AM with the 8th pick and maybe even with the 11th pick. We'll see what management decides. Juwan Howard and Stromile Swift's contracts really mess things up though.

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

is that a joke?