1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video released of Cleveland cop shooting 12 yr old with airsoft gun

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Nov 26, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/video-shows-cleveland-cop-shoot-12-year-old-tamir-rice-n256656

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oW-XE10epVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This video is of the actual incident. The complete video, at the link, shows the boy pacing around and pointing the gun for a few minutes.

#1 RV6, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Man, I'm getting so sick of this ****. This guy is a cop and doesn't know the laws surrounding use of lethal force?

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Best video quality ever.

4. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Hate to be that guy but this probably should be in the D&D especially with Ferguson going on right now.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I'm confused as to why the boy decided to draw his pellet gun. It sounds like the dispatcher was responsible for this truly tragic event. I guess you could argue that the officers shouldn't have pulled up directly next to him if they suspected that he had a gun.

This will definitely be moved to the D&D.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah i figured i'd let it ride out in the Hangout, since it does seem like the dispatcher screwed up.

I think the officers may have been trying to cut him off, since he seemed to get up when he saw them coming. They could have thought he was preparing to run.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Bad parenting. Whoever gave it to him should have told him it wasn't a toy. The cops who were doing their job will have to unfortunately live with this on their conscience. Tough job.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Looked like a drive by. I wonder why the dispatcher wouldn't tell them the gun is possible fake. Seems like crucial info

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Probably is D&D material, but, my thoughts on this before seeing the video:
    1. Kid should not be pointing a BB gun around
    2. Cops were justified in shooting the kid if he pulled the gun on them

After seeing the video and learning it was an airsoft gun:
    1. Kid should not have removed the orange-tipped marker to indicate a toy gun
    2. Kid should definitely not be pointing it around in public
    3. Cops made a bad move in pulling up next to the kid
    4. Not as much a white-and-black scenario as I originally though, the video shows a more gray area. The cop did pull the trigger a bit quick, but when they're that close and the kid had been waving a realistic-looking gun, still side on the cops with this one. Cops definitely could have handled it better by having some distance when they pull up to give slightly more time to assess the situation.

#9 Duncan McDonuts, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  10. rudan

rudan Member

Just sad, not really debate worthy. Cop is risking his life out there, no way he can know that it's a play gun. Poor kid probably never was taught proper public behavior.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Very in-depth article about toy guns and the headache they call for law enforcement.

http://time.com/3603087/tamir-rice-shooting-toy-gun/

12. Bäumer

This is a tragedy. Let's just hope that this isn't followed by relentless character assassinations of the kid. When I was his age my friends and I would have airsoft battles in parks and front yards all the time. I had friends who cut the orange tips off too.

When I was 12 I was an idiot, I could have easily mishandled this situation. Kids are dumb and don't realize how their actions are perceived by others.

Just everyone remember how dumb you were when you were 12.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

The character assassinations have already begun with his parents (possibly deserved--this kid appears to have had a tough life):

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/11/tamir_rices_father_has_history.html

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

While true, the suspect's age is not assessed at the time of encounter. And any age is capable of pulling that trigger.

An unfortunate event and loss of life, but I find it hard to blame the cops for shooting a child that was waving around a realistic-looking gun.

The other story a couple months ago at the Walmart where cops fired on the man holding the BB gun was more cut-and-dry than this one. Those cops pulled the trigger way too early and should definitely face repercussions. Not sure why there's more outrage at this story other than the suspect turned out to be a child, that also acted in a more threatening manner.

15. Bäumer

I stopped reading at the word "suspect"

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Cowards

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

***** i remember playings cops and robbers, cowboys and indians. poor kid was probably just pretend playing and got lit up. just because you're a dumb 12 year old kid with ****ty parents doesn't mean you deserve to die.

there is got to be some serious training issues here if cops fell that threatened so easily that they shoot to kill.

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Another case of amazing parenting right there.

Poor kid. So many useless people decide to procreate. As if there wasn't already enough irresponsible people on earth.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you're talking about the rookie cop's parents right?

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Kid should have been open carrying an AK47.

1 person likes this.