1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone here fond of computers? I keep getting blue screen'd errors.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

I've had my laptop (Dell Inspiron) for 8 months - bought it brand new. It was having audio issues, so I sent it into Dell to get repaired and received it back yesterday.

However, ever since, I've been getting blue screen errors every hour or so that restart my laptop.

The error is - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL . I downloaded Windows 8.1 since Dell told me to do so because that could have apparently fixed the issue. I now have a different error - REFERENCE_BY_POINTER . Both errors cause blue screens which restart my laptop.

(I.e - the error name prior to downloading windows 8.1 was irql not less or equal, but now it is reference by pointer)

Dell Support has been overall unhelpful, so I'm asking here in the hopes that someone here knows what they're talking about to help me resolve this.

2. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Reinstall the operating system fully. Use it for a while without any crazy programs. If it blue screens again. I would send it to dell and have them sort it out.

Also download whocrashed. It should give you a general idea of what the error is.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Sounds like a driver issue. I would start by reinstalling your audio drivers, since that is probably what they screwed up. Just go to the dell support site, enter your asset tag, and download and install the driver.

4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Ditto. Blue screen could be driver issue. If not not drivers consider possibility of bad hardware, like a RAM stick going bad.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Nobody is really "fond" of computers; we probably have little to a bit more experience than you.

In any case, just google the short error code or phrase, and see if the website you find with the search results will have a solution or at least workaround. At least you knew to call DELL, since they're the ones that repaired it incorrectly. Isn't that under warranty?

The drivers issue is what's causing your blue screen of death but neither Harrisment nor anyone else just knew out of the blue.
    EDIT: I forgot I found this before http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557386(v=vs.85).aspx .

Do some research, man, and you will find out it's easy to find your answers.

You might probably want to try Dell again for support or you should get your money back for their incompetency.

:cool: Good luck.

#5 SwoLy-D, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  6. famicom

famicom Member

This. Uninstall the audio and video drivers. From here you can either go on the dell website and make sure you get Win8.1 compatible drivers or run without the drivers and see if you still get the blue screen to isolate the issue.

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

I have tried updating drivers already. So next I contacted Microsoft. They said a quick fix would be to refresh the laptop.

So, I was going to do this, but it said I'd keep all of my pictures, videos, etc - which is fine. However, it said I'd need to redownload a whole bunch of other apps - things which were already pre-installed onto the laptop such as a bunch of Intel related things.

I'm worried about messing it up even more.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Imagine this thread

--------------------------------
    Hey guys, I took my car into to the shop for an audio system issue, and the deal fixed it, but now it stalls and dies on the road every hour or so, forcing me to restart it.

Has anyone had these problems and how do I fix it?

--------------------------------

We would never attempt to fix a car, if the Dealer returned it with another problem. We'd take it back.

Why don't we just send computers back and say they didn't fix the original problem, it's messed up in another way now?

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on?

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sounds like a faulty hyperdrive.

11. Awesome

Awesome Member

This... had a similar issue with my PC and windows 8 and it ended up being the memory sticks. I couldnt even reinstall the software because of this issue and I found out after putting it in for repairs