1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that would be a mistake, I don't know that he's an upgrade over Mallett or even Fitz for that matter.

2. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Agreed. Even with his rookie season, I was just left with an awful taste in my mouth from his sophomore year, even when healthy. Still, if they bring him in with a reasonable trade(which likely isn't possible), I wouldn't mind a competition between Mallet and Foles. The loser still provides solid depth.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Foles has always impressed me, but so has Mallet, even Keenum. I am not big on Fitz or Savage. Both Foles and Mallet are going to expect to start. I think Keenum would thrilled with a solid back up job. Mallet didn't get much of a chance.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's unlikely that Mallett would sign back here if another QB like Foles was brought in for a QB competition.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

As much as I've grown to respect/like Fitzpatrick, I think Foles has a much higher ceiling.

Fitzpatrick never put together a stretch as good as Foles' rookie season. If you trade for him, you have to believe that level is not only again attainable but sustainable, as well as. Otherwise, yeah - it's not really much of an upgrade.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes down to it, I'll trust what BOB thinks is the right course of action at QB because he hasn't given me reason not to trust him yet. Pretty much everyone was skeptical when we signed Fitz, me included, and he had the best season of his career despite it being ended prematurely.

7. Hey Now!

Agreed. I'm not sure many fans are aware of how aggressively mediocre Foles was this past year. Having said that, he was really, really, really good in '13. If BOB can find the middle ground (IOW, consistent above-average production), I'd be happy with Foles.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I agree, it's nice that he had the guts to trade for Mallett when you were calling him a waste of time, or that he decided to start Mallett against Cleveland when you predicted that he would be awful.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah Foles this year had a few good games against REALLY weak defenses and some really poor games against good defenses. Maybe there is talent there, but I don't think it will be realized in that gimmick Chip Kelly offense now that the league has some film on it in action at the NFL level.

The best way to gain my trust is to prove me wrong. He succeeded with Fitz when I didn't think he would and he got one good game out of Mallett when I didn't think he would. As a result, I now give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to QB's.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Had we not knocked him out of the game when we played them, we probably end up beating the Eagles and finishing 10-6 and in the playoffs.

11. Hey Now!

That's being pretty generous, frankly. He had a really good half against the Jags and then a terrific game against Washington. Other than a good start against the Texans (his final game), his other five starts (+ the other half against JAX) were below-average.

I went back and looked at his '13, though.... I knew he had a good year but wow - it was an exceptional year. 119 passer rating; 12:1 TD/INT ratio; 9.1 YPA..... I mean, I'm not buying stock in the guy, per se - but if he's *any*where close to that, he'd be a terrific get for this team, depending on the cost.

I think he upgrades Fitzpatrick, for sure - and as much as he's a crapshoot, he's far more of a known quantity than Mallett.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think his 2013 numbers have more to do with the league being unfamiliar with Chip Kelly's gimmick offense. You can fool people for one season, but next season that ends.

13. Hey Now!

Eh... there are likely many reasons...

But that offense didn't take off with Vick when it truly was brand new to the NFL. Foles is the guy who elevated it. Sure, he's probably a better QB than Vick. But Foles' first start was 7-games in; they had film. Not of him, and new offensive systems sometimes just need time to gel, etc, etc... (like I said - lots of reasons)...

And while I absolutely think systems can elevate players... Foles was having perhaps the single greatest QB season of all-time. I mean, he was on a full-season pace of 38 TDs, 3 INTs . The numbers are a little too staggering to simply be a product of a system.

He'd be an intriguing get. I'm obviously not insane enough to think we'd get 2013 Nick Foles; but I'd feel pretty good about BOB getting more than 2014 Nick Foles.

Of course, if the rumor is true, and Tennessee is interested, it's likely a moot point as I assume a swap of 1 and Foles lands Philadelphia Mariotta.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If you had a chance and think that Savage could be that guy in the future, would you roll the dice for an aged Peyton Manning for at least 2 years???

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

25th ranked roster by Rotoworld
    ...and team needs

They have 50/1 Super Bowl odds according to @RJinVegas

Only 10 teams worse

16. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

looks on point to me. i would agree with those odds. everyone ahead of us is either better or has a higher ceiling of winning the super bowl (as currently constructed), regardless of what the records may show. the only ones debatable are STL (maybe the best D-line in the game though), KC, and CIN (dalton will never win anything). NO and NY were horrible, but they have SB-winning QB's. SD was slightly above-average, but Rivers is a top 10 QB so I can understand those odds.

just shows we have a lot of work to do.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I wouldn't. I don't think the team is better then the Broncos QB aside. Peyton has won 1 Superbowl. Any Houston pro football fan would take that of course, but given how much he generally struggles in the playoffs - relative to other greats - and given his age, and the state of the Texans, etc. I just don't see how it'd be much more than a band aid that gets them back to where they were at their best - 2nd round-ish material.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

I thought Swearinger WAS the gaping hole.

19. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Yup. Swearinger reminds me a lot of Patrick Beverley. The potential and vitals are there, but they both just took waaaay too huge of a step backwards this season. I love what Swearinger (and Bev) bring to the table with a fiery swagger mentality, but NONE of that means crap if they can't even back it up. Swearinger becomes a HUGE liability when he talks crap about the opponent and then constantly fails to back it up in coverage, and Bev just annoys PGs with bad defense, which leads to them manhandling him with their offense. Swearinger also has a nack of killing defensive stops with stupid taunting penalties and other ridiculousness. As a guy who likes seeing fiery defenders and smack talkers (I.E. Richard Sherman), I simply can't overlook the fact that Swearinger's play simply does not back up his mouth AT ALL. He really needs to take a step forward next season, because that hole becomes a damn Canyon if he doesn't.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Arian Foster wants new uniforms, he's been talking about it on Twitter. Anyone else agree with him? Not sure i do.