1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TNT crew says Rockets aren't legit contenders; Howard isn't a great player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Kenny, Charles, and Shaq gave this team some very constructive criticism, and I agreed with everything they said. They all agreed that this team aren't legit contenders. They also called this team one of the worst perimeter defenders in the entire league.

Charles said that Howard is a good player, but not a GREAT player. Charles thought Howard would consistently get better since making the Finals in ORL, but that hasn't happened. He and Shaq also voiced their disappointment in the lack of improvement in his post game (even after getting trained by Hakeem/McHale).

Thoughts? Because I honestly believe everything they said.

tl;dr - TNT crew agrees that the Rockets aren't contenders. Barkley says Howard isn't a GREAT player, and they are puzzled as to why Dwight's post moves still suck.

2. chandlerbang21

We are all watching it man , thread not needed

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

They're right on both accounts. Not sure whats so surprising, its been evident for over a month now. They squeak out easy wins and lose winnable games.

4. Omnipotence

Omnipotence Member

Agreed with everything they said.

5. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Looks like Dwight was about to call out teammates/coaches but held himself back in the postgame. He's irked

6. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

TNT crew is right. I'm glad they didn't give too much credit to OKC either, Rox absolutely blew this game.

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I can't bring myself to watch it. I already know what they're gonna say. As Houston fans being dissapointed is pretty standard I guess.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The TNT crew tends towards bombast and recency bias.

Put the very worst half of basketball played this year in front of them and what else do you expect then to say?

9. rocketsmetalspd

Can't wait to see the interviews.

10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

It would be nice to have Bev and Asik. Lin gave us nothing tonight and our interior defense sucks beyond belief when Dwight is out. Freaking do something with Asik already. BTW, screw Asik for being a little bish.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He should be good enough for this era without many HOF big guys.

IDK what exactly is holding him back or he is just not that guy any more. Or never was because he played in the East where regular season is pretty easy and he could focus on getting to the Finals.

Harden is figured out by OKC. That was about to happen.

Good game, DMo though.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Our problems are not because of Howard.

He is a top 10 player in the league and the league's best center. He's an absolute dominant force and certainly is a great player.

We need to feed the big man. Good things happen when we do and let him establish a rhythm. We waited until we were in freefall offensively to pass him the ball. Too late.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've said this again and again for a while. Of course we aren't legit contenders. Maury didn't think that either. Neither did Howard - he even said it would take at least a year.

This is a very young group of guys. Who make young mistakes. Who cave under pressure defense. It happened tonight and it's happened before.

People say we are inconsistent. No, we're actually very consistent. We consistently struggle in the 2nd half when good defensive teams turn up the heat. We really struggle to score when they take away the fast break and free flowing.

Teams know how to stop us. Dwight is predictable. Lin struggles under pressure D. Harden struggles under pressure D. Parsons struggles under pressure D. They consistently do that against teams that turn up the D.

We have seen it with OKC twice, we have seen it with Indianapolis. We have seen it with the Clippers - twice. We have seen it on the road in Dallas. We saw the knicks come back when they turned up their D. I mean it's not rocket science here. This team collapses under pressure D.

We make bad passes, we take bad shots, we get frustrated - we miss ft's and force the issue.

It's not our defense that is hurting us - it really is offensive execution in the half-court against pressure.

1 person likes this.
  14. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Shaq made an excellent point. he pointed out that he never had the array of weapons that hakeem had but could get his 28 pts a night. Barkley also said that D12 needs a lot of help in order to win.

These statements are right on point. D12 needs to find away to score big with his skill set. He has good enough talent.

I also see D12 doubled and tripled and he needs to learn to pass to the weak side immediately and punish teams that send another guy to him.

This team lacks identity.

15. conquistador#11

howard isn't hakeem, harden can't even carry clyde's seal club, parsons is no horry and lin aint no sammy. I miss the early 9o's. And if a third miracle happens to propel daryl into saint hood with the acquisition of a third star, chances are that star won't be on Lebron or Durant's level. Unless of course, we get durant. =)

Harden+asik+demo+lin+bev+jones+a distillery for Durant and fisher.
    get it done, no pressure.

i was joking about fisher!

16. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

They're right tho, dwight sets too many damn screens on the perimeter. But its hard to be a back down dominant player in this league now when the refs call all these bull**** calls in the post.

17. Swishh

Swishh Member

The only LOL-worthy things that Shaq said was calling Dwight 7'1 on one occasion, and 7'3 on another occasion.

He's only 6'10.

18. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

It is well-known that Shaq hates Howard. He is jealous that Howard has become the best center in the league. He will seize on any chance to diss Howard. Nothing new here.

19. Houston288South

This

20. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Stop blaming it on Lin or Howard specifically. No one came to play come the second half. No one. Did James even scorers the second half? Parsons, while he played okay defense on KD was horrible offensively. DMo had two points, Brooks was bricking. Everything that could have gone wrong happened in the second.

Sure everyone would have liked Lin and Howard or step up, especially Lin who did really struggle but this is on everybody.