1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(NY Post) Carmelo: Dwight 'tried extremely hard' in Rockets Recruitment

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dream2franchise, Nov 24, 2014.

1. dream2franchise

http://nypost.com/2014/11/24/carmelo-dwight-tried-extremely-hard-in-rockets-recruitment/

HOUSTON — Carmelo Anthony said he has no regrets about turning down the Rockets this summer, but acknowledged he took “a long, deep look at it’’ after Dwight Howard sold him hard.

Anthony made his first trip back to Houston on Monday since his ballyhooed recruiting visit July 2, when he met with the Rockets representatives in the morning and afternoon. Later that night, he met with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban in Dallas, where the Knicks play Wednesday.

The Rockets have recovered from Anthony’s rejection and are off to a 10-3 start.
    “All that stuff was intriguing, all that stuff I took a real good look at,’’ Anthony said at the Knicks morning shootaround at Toyota Center. “The weather, the tax situation, things that come along with being here in Houston. I took a deep look at it.’’

The Rockets placed behind the runner-up Bulls in the Melo Sweepstakes, and some reports suggested even the moribund Lakers piqued his curiosity more than living in Texas. Entering free agency, Anthony said in a video interview with Vice Sports that moving his young son, Kiyan, to a different spot in the country would be a potential deterrent.

But one persistent center known as “Superman’’ kept the Rockets in the hunt. They were able to open cap space for a max deal by trading Omer Asik and having a tentative deal in place for Jeremy Lin.

“We had some great dialogue back and forth,’’ Anthony said of his discussions with Howard. “I talked to him. We talked about some things. Ultimately it came down to what I really felt and really wanted at that moment. We had some contact and conversations. He tried. He tried extremely hard. It didn’t have anything to do with Dwight or James [Harden]. It came down to my own personal decision.’’

The Rockets are off to a great start despite not netting Anthony or second choice Chris Bosh and letting Chandler Parsons leave for Dallas. Instead of Anthony, they signed Trevor Ariza, a former Knicks draft pick. The Knicks have stumbled to a 4-10 record and look more like a lottery team than a playoff contender.

“Of course I know they’re playing very well,’’ Anthony said. “[But] it’s not something I say to myself: ‘I regret doing this, regret doing that.’ I can’t do that. It’s not my nature as a person. I would never sit down and ask myself: ‘What if?’ ’’

Controversy was attached to Anthony’s visit when a mockup of Anthony was shown on the arena’s billboards in a No. 7 jersey — which happened to be the number of then-Rockets point guard Jeremy Lin. The former Knick tweeted his disgust.

To Anthony, the whole week was a blur and has said he prefers not to go through a free-agent tour again.

“It was quick,’’ Anthony said of the Texas whirlwind. “I got a chance to meet some people, the owners. See some players I already knew. As far as memories go, there’s really no memories — just kind of the atmosphere that took place outside the arena, the whole week.

“It wasn’t just that week. Everything that led up to that week along with that week. It was a long offseason for me.’’
    “I can’t expect anything other than fans cheering for their own team,’’ Anthony said. “I don’t know if they feel disappointment. Even if I didn’t visit, I don’t think I’d be cheered anyway.’’

The Knicks get a break as Howard (knee strain) will sit a second straight game and point guard Patrick Beverley is also out with a hamstring injury.
    Andrea Bargnani made the trip but coach Derek Fisher downplayed the chance of him suiting up in any of the three games after suffering a new injury — a calf strain.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Blah blah blah...

New York, Chicago, LA [Two Texas teams not even in sight]

3. hakeemthagreat

Wish we couldve got him but I understood him wanting to stay in NY with PJ running the show

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

I didn't. knicks need alot of work and its not something they can fix in a few years

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Good choice.

The New York Knicks should be contenders soon.

1 person likes this.
  6. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Why is everyone assuming Phil Jackson is going to be a good GM?

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Just crush Melo tonight. He and JR Smith deserve each other. And Phil Jackson.

1 person likes this.
  8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i lke melo but i dont want him here. if we do get a big 3 the thrid guy has to play without the ball. there's no way dwight/ harden/melo could coexist out there.

9. s.b713

s.b713 Member

At the end of the day, winning wasn't his top priority. Sad to say he might never win a ship' with NY, not mad at him though. Its all about that $$.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Players are foolish to pass up millions of dollars so unless Howard was offering him cash what was the point?

11. HRox832

HRox832 Member

LOL! We ALL know Carmelo chose New York because of the $money$. You guys know damn well he doesn't care about winning a ring. Knicks suck, and the dude says "I don't have any regrets about my decision"... That should tell you something.

12. hollywoodMarine

PJ's in a win win situation. If they get better, he can get all the credit. If they keep sucking, people will just blame Dolan (like even PJ couldn't fix that situation)

13. Entropy

Entropy Member

so TLDR he just wanted to stay in NY for the money and because he thinks the city of Houston sucks and hates humidity. Got it.

14. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Yea the team looks promising and they're on their way to the top in about a decade

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Should have signed Lowry TBH

16. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Yep. The Knicks are one move away from being up there with the 96 bulls. Y'all don't even know!

17. Solaris

Solaris Member

Melo is soft.

18. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Parsons is offended.

19. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

We tried, Lowry turned us down.

20. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

"The only thing that matters is winning."