1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hancock.corey, Jan 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. hancock.corey

hancock.corey Member

This is completely off topic, and I'm basically wondering if it's just me or not. The commentator Bill Worrell: does anyone notice that he seems to constantly confuse players out there? Or is it just me? I love his commentary, though, it's just that sometimes he thinks Luther is Rafer and Brooks is Head and vice versa, sometimes, lol. It's not just those guards, either. Sometimes it's the opposing team, or anyone. I'm almost afraid that if he were asked about this, he'd say they all look alike (naa, he's smarter than that, I hope). I was just wondering, though, because I love his commentary.

2. stingray88

stingray88 Member

He's not as bad as dick stockton. That guy couldn't even get shack's name right.

3. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

apparently you can't get his name right either...

4. yobod

yobod Member

He's been doing play-by-play for over 25 years so maybe they all DO look alike to him? I don't think anyone would hold it against him though.

5. hancock.corey

hancock.corey Member

Lol. I'm not sure who Dick Stockton is. I really like Worrell, though. I think he's a great contrast to Clyde and Bull who both played together and then you have Worrell who did not play at all (I don't think, at least, because he rarely talks about it if he did). He's a funny guy, entertaining, just has a habit of calling the wrong players sometimes.

6. hancock.corey

hancock.corey Member

Lol. 25 years is a long time. Good for him. Thing is, would you really call what he and clyde do now "play by play?" Maybe it's just me. Have you ever listened to the game on 610 with Jim (and that other guy, can't remember his name). That is what I think play by play is.

7. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

How is this off topic? If you create a topic and then comment on the topice isn't that not off topic? Or is it on topic?

Too many topics I'm confused . . . . .

8. hancock.corey

hancock.corey Member

Lol. I'll tell how it's off topic. My first post was originally going to go in the Sonics @ Rockets post analysis thread, but then I changed my mind and decided to make it a thread, and forgot about that part.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

He's not the only one who makes that mistake... the stat trackers do as well and it seeps into the official box score. The Hornets game, Rafer had a layup blocked with 7 seconds left and they said Luther was the one... it reflected in the final box too (Luther should be 4-10, Rafer 4-14).

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=280113010&period=4

It's funny you started this topic though because I've noticed a few mistakes that Worrell has made lately... but overall he's still great, in my opinion. Clyde and Bullard are growing on me too.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you blame Bill? Sometimes Luther shoots like Rafer.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Bill is letting us know that we have too many undersized guards who cannot shoot. He doesn't want to come out and say this so he calls them by the wrong name because they are all the same type of player. Very, very clever.

Ok, maybe not but I think he is great at his job and to be honest, I really like the chemistry he is building with Matt Bullard.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If Bill is getting names wrong from time to time, it's because he's doing two jobs... his and Clyde's. :p

13. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Is there an underlying jab at Rafer here? ;)

14. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

hey, what do ya expect? when ya getting old, ya'll be like that too :)

Clyde needs to come up with some thing new rather than "the great wall" all the time...."nothing but net" :)

15. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

Melvin "Eelie" (Ely)

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Radio play by plays have to be just that since you can't see the action.

Bill and Clyde don't have to give you every little detail as it's right in front of you on the screen.

All announcers get mixed up from time to time so it's no biggie one way or the other.

17. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

We need a thread about Gene Peterson and Jim Foley if there isn't one already. They're amazing radio announcers and are going out together after the year is over. Their voices are forever burned in to my brain...legendary voices of the Rockets for upteen/twenty-some-odd years.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He butchered his name in 2 different ways actually. It was so funny.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Joe Paterno can't even remember his players names, he refers to them by their number. And Vince Young? Joe Pa always referred to him as "that Vick kid at Texas".

Anyhoo

20. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

there was another thread about bill recently. i think somebody said that those who work with him think he's an *******, and possibly an alcoholic???

i don't care about his personal life. he has some good one liners and a smooth delivery.

'aaron brooks is quick as a hiccup'