1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nowitzki doesn't want Dwight Howard with Mavs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden's beard, May 8, 2016.

1. Harden's beard

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...y-nowitzki-want-dwight-howard-mavs-dirk-right

Basically calling out on Dwight that he's not a true rim protector anymore

2. Charles Barkley

Dirk is a smart man. He's been very unlucky over the years but he will still go down as one of the all time greats, in my opinions.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's great. Good thing he's not a GM, an atrocious defender himself and we don't give a ***** what the Mavs say.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Lol, that's not what the article implied at all

Apparently Dirk is concerned with getting a guy that the team can build around

Dwight's no longer that guy

5. Harden's beard

The context suggests that the reason why Dwight is not considered as a guy you can build by around by Dirk is his decline in defense/rim protection. That makes sense since what makes Dwight valuable is exactly that, and if he's no longer good at it, then Dwight cannot be that guy anymore.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is Howard a mere Dampier?

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

i'd rather Dwight go to the east, the west is tough enough as it is. Dwight may not be a star anymore, but he still is at least 10mil+ a year guy.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

who the hell wants to be on a team where dirk is the starting pf? he needs to move down to 6th man or backup pf/c

9. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Actually I read it as the opposite. Here's my interpretation.

"The team needs a rim protector." (Dwight), but "Howard isn't someone you could build around anymore"

Basically, we shouldn't pay that much for someone who we cannot build around.

10. Harden's beard

okay, that's one way to look at it. I didn't read it that way but your interpretation is also possible.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Dwight should go to Dallas.

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

No. He said "this team needs a rim protector" but follows that by saying BUT. He then gives the actual reason why not wanting Dwight which is a true statement. Dwight isn't the type of person you can build around anymore. He's now a complimentary player, and the Mavs sorely need a guy who can easily be the guy. Dirk is too old and while still great he can't do it anymore. Parsons has proven he is a great #3 while healthy but he needs to be a great #2 or for sure #1.

Heso not saying Dwight isn't a rim protector. The team needs a rim protector and Dwight could fill that role BUT that's nothe what the team needs to build around. Doesn't mean I agree with the statement, but that is what he was translating. The Mavericks need a lot to be honest. A full rebuild or gathering of assets to maybe pull off a good trade.

Dwight won't make the Mavericks significantly better because all though he's good he is already on the decline. Jordan was still relatively young. I think if the Mavericks really want to fill that position their best bet is Whiteside.

13. Harden's beard

yes, but why would anyone come to the conclusion that Dwight is no longer that guy you can build around anymore? Dwight's value as a player mostlly come from his defense, not offense. AT LEAST, Dwigt's decline in defense & rim protection has to be part of why he is no longer considered a central piece player. But, you're right, my initial interpretation may not be 100% correct, but if you think about it, Dwight's defensive decline has to be part of the story here.

14. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

id like to see dwight in orlando if the rox cant assemble a squad - but ya, dirk sucks

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I agree with Dirk. I don't want Dwight Howard on my team.

16. BackdoorHarden

Dwight doesn't play defense anymore

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I read it completely the opposite. I read it as saying they need a rim protector like Dwight, but Nowitzki doesn't want him, and they can't build around him, either.

Doesn't sound like a knock on his defense, or his theoretical fit for their needs. Sounds like Nowitzki just might not think it will work out for other chemistry reasons.

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is the interpretation of someone who wants to be very generous to Howard. Dwight is only 30, you should still be able to build around him. Anyway, when you don't want someone on your teams it means you have little to no confidence in their abilities to say the least. I think the first interpretation was correct.

19. heypartner

as an aside: I wonder how this jives with the rumors prior to the trade deadline regarding Howard and Mavs having backdoor conversations to feel out the market. Anyone else remember that long thread?

20. heypartner

very "generous?" Not sure what that means. I could say that it is completely about his offense, and Nowitzki doesn't want him demanding the ball and clogging the lane...things DJ never would have done had they signed him last year, and things Tyson Chandler did not do when they won the championship.

All that could be true without any knock on his defense and rebounding. Nowitzki's worries could be about the offensive end, solely. Not saying it is, just saying that it isn't "generous to Howard" to disagree with the OP's take on the comment.