1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PS3 Video Service To Launch this Summer, a New Service Available, and Xenogears

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jun 26, 2008.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5itdjZMUu83fld3q5RpKGjmo6m8gAD91HLURG0
    Some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I guess expect more at E3 next month.

They also showed off a new service called Life with Playstation. Some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It seems like a Weather/News service, a lot like the News and Weather channels on the Wii I guess...just better it seems (prettier, can listen to music, etc.).

Not really related at all, but I wanted to mention that Square-Enix is finally putting up some of their PS1 games on the PSN in Japan, and one of these games was Xenogears. It may turn out to be Japan-only though since SCEA doesn't seem to care about putting up PS1 games (Japan has MGS, Resident Evil, Xenogears, etc., but we don't). Nice to see SE is finally supporting a service like this though. Now we just need to bug the guys at the PS Blog to bring these games to the US Store. :)

edit: Didn't realize IGN had a writeup on the event:
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/884/884551p1.html

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Very cool...It was a matter of time before we got services like this...Will video be in 1080P format? 1080i? I would imagine, otherwise, why do it, at least for me...

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Is that really $6 to rent a digital version of a film? Kind of steep, no?

4. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

I am in agreement with you gamz... Hopefully it will be in full 1080p! :D :D :D

5. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

wait to RENT??? :eek: I thought it was to BUY!

6. RC Cola

I'm guessing no 1080p.

IMO yeah, but I think that is in line with other similar services (Xbox Live, Itunes, etc.).

Technically, that isn't an official price like the IGN article says, but since it is about the same as other services, I don't think the official price will be any different.

7. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Classic PS1 games on my PSP is definitely worth $6 each. I'm not sure how often I'll play them, but I would amass a large collection and one day get around to it. Xenogears, FF7, Parasite Eve, MGS would be bliss on the go.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Well, I may have to get an external HD now. Sony has been touting the PS3 as some kind of media center jack knife for so long... I have been disappointed that its taken so long to get this video rental thing going. Same thing with the DVR type capabilities. Hopefully everything (including Home) is up and running here pretty soon.

9. JD2010

JD2010 Member

ps3 video to launch this summer??
    oh right..

that means

MARCH 2009

as a ps3 owner, we all know Sony loves to delay things ala home & firmware 2.40

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

True. GTA5 will probably be a PS4 title.

11. RC Cola

Since they will be announcing it with not much time left in the summer, I'm pretty sure they'll hit it. Now if it they had announced it for Spring 2009 or something like that (similar to Home or their games), I would be a little more skeptical. No telling when the service will be offered in Europe or Japan either. I guess it would still be best if I stick to my expectations of the video service going up by 2012 though.

I would add that Firmware 2.4 is a little different as well. They never officially announced it, and only random blog sites or posters on forums (IIRC) gave release dates for it (and most of those dates varied). It may have been delayed unofficially but can't really say for sure.

12. JD2010

JD2010 Member

you guys aren't going to get video rental soon.

How do you know that I'm not an undercover sony employee thats been hired to post on forums as a form of advertising??

Here's my sony badge to prove it

[​IMG]

of course i didn't reveal my name, and try to look this image up on a search engine.
    Wont find it.

;)

You guys will get in game xmb July 1-3
    guaranteed :cool:

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

? :confused:

14. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

hook me up with the playstation lanyard jd. i have a xbox360 lanyard...and everyone at work asks me if i have a 360. they end up disappointed when i tell them no.