1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most conservatives see liberals as stupid, most liberals see conservatives as evil.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by langal, Sep 1, 2008.

1. langal

langal Contributing Member

I was just curious if this was the general, over-simplified feeling out there.

Personally I don't think one side is intrinsically stupid or evil. Two smart people can have 2 different opinions. And all politicians are 2-faced liars who pander - after all, they need to get votes to get elected. The system is built that way.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Conservatives think liberals are socially evil and fiscally stupid.

Liberals think conservatives are socially stupid and fiscally evil.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah, I think this is a better description.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've mentioned here before that ~30 years ago, William F. Buckley wrote a great article explaining the thread title. The sad thing is it was true back then but it isn't now at all. The right-wing radio kooks attack the character, motives and agenda of anyone that disagrees with them. In fact, they are the worst extreme of calling their opponents whether evil economic or social issues are involved. Unfortunately, there are millions of people that feast on their words daily and use them as marching orders. I know too many of them.

I completely disagree.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I view liberals as frustrated and angry

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

And bitter.

They view me as stupid.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I view most self-described conservatives (in US political terms) as one or more among: self-righteous, uneducated, apathetic/cynical (nothing really matters in the end, so just take care of yourself), unwordly (not knowing much about the life of people of different cultures AND class backgrounds) or greedy (know the world, but don't care). Saying all this, I have friends who are conservatives and people I detest who are liberals--in the end how people treat each other in daily interactions is much more important than political philosophy. I will also add I use "most" above with those terms, I have encountered a rare few conservatives who critically look at data like I do and have similar experiences, but just have a few different subtle assumptions about people/the world that takes us to very different end states politically. These folks are usually technically Libertarians (if I was still as cynical as I used to be OR not known many persons outside of White middle to upper class I'd probably be one).

Also what should be said is this is within the US political spectrum--which is stilted conservative among democratic industrial nations. I would not consider myself liberal in many W and N Europe countries--and Obama and the Clintons would not be seen that way either (who I view as moderate and pragmatic in the larger scheme of politics among Industrial democracies). In some places I would use some negative or narrow terms to describe "Liberals".

Similarly related, I find it funny for someone to use "Extreme Liberal" and "US Senator" in the same sentence. I don't think there are any. Maybe a couple in the US House. You don't get elected to a statewide office right now being a Extreme Liberal (e.g., you don't here Senators calling for a single payer health system, free higher education for all, dismantling the whole military, or raising estate taxes to 100% after the 5 million). Moderate left/liberal, yes, quite a few of Senators are that. On the other hand you will get Conservative Senators who are for prohibiting abortion under all cases, dismantling the D of Ed or EPA, for flat taxes, and other sorts of things that would fall under extreme conservative measures.

#7 Desert Scar, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think most liberals see conservatives as just unaware, closed-minded, and heartless. Stupid for their social policies and views, and heartless for obvious reason. I think conservatives see liberals as morally brankcrupt and snobish / elitist ivy league kinda thinking. Like liberals look down upon them for their views.

I think in reality, conservatives are more paternal, and see social justice itself as immoral - that is, giving something out to free is almost offensive since others had to earn it. Why should one person have to earn it and another get it for free? goes against fairness. You pay for your mistakes and errors in "judgment". if you get pregnant - have the baby. if you are poor, it's because you are immoral in someway.

Where as liberals see equality in a difference sense - in compassion and helping those who struggle as being good. It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get there. Liberals see mistakes as ok, and that humanity deserves second chances. If you commit a crime, you can be reformed. If you get pregnant, it's ok to have an abortion. If you are poor, it's not because you are lazy or don't work hard, it's because society has let you down and society should try to help you.

9. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

This would be all well and good, except they have no qualms making exceptions for themselves. So I'll call it what it is...BS. The kind that eventually turns a country into one with first world wealth and third world infrastructure and living.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

It depends on your definition of conservatism. In the textbook sense of fiscal, classical conservatism, I have deference for the viewpoints. If you are talking about the relatively recent phenomenon of the religious Right's hijacking of the GOP via social conservatism, I hold nothing but utter contempt and disgust toward the blatantly anti-intellectual, bigoted, ignorant views espoused by those who in many instances stand to suffer from the economic policies their vote authorizes.

Liberals on the other hand come off rather Pollyannaish at times, overly sensationalist, and amateurish.

Both sides have their fair share of kooks - any claim to the contrary would be disingenuous.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

One difference though is the leftist kooks never get elected to higher national government positions in the USA--they simply can't get enough votes to win a whole state or multiple states (though there are some in the House). There are plenty of Conservative kook presidents or senators going around--they can get elected with a patchwork of extreme social conservatives and extreme economic Libertarians (who tolerate/manipulate the social conservatives in the name of their pocket books) behind them.

12. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

So Liberals like Obama think having a baby is a mistake

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNzmly28Bmg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eNzmly28Bmg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Do you think that having a baby or getting an STD at the age of 16 is a great idea, a non-mistake?

14. Zion

Zion Member

Yeah we should be encouraging our daughters to have babies at 16. Hell why wait until 16. If it's not a mistake at 16 why should it be a mistake at 13. Having a baby at 13 is the way to go.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I view the far wings of both parties as self centered, arrogant, self serving, and petty.

16. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

That's true. Never underestimate the greater morality in this country.

17. ROCKET RICH NYC

It's not for me to judge. Having a baby or getting an STD isn't favorable in society but it's not our call to judge especially in an election. Having a baby at 16 can be a mistake for some people. For others, they may view it the complete opposite. The mistake is debatable with what the 16yr old would do? Abort, Adopt, Abandon? Yet again, it's not up to me or my government to tell me what the mistake is. If my daughter got pregnant at 16, I wouldn't call it a mistake but then it wouldn't be up to Obama, the government, or anyone else to tell me otherwise. The mistake would be for the Government or society to tell my family what they "think" we should do. For those that still believe that parents are SOLELY responsible for their kids actions, just take a look at your own life. Did you do everything your parents told you do to when you were 16? I recall Obama's mom being knocked up when she was 17 and Obama born at 18 and unwed. Look at how he turned out. So was Obama a mistake then?

18. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Are there exceptions to the rule? Of course.

If you were a betting man, what odds would you put on a baby from a 16 year becoming successful?

19. ROCKET RICH NYC

I'm not a sociologist nor a betting man. Once again, not my problem.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Isn't she 17?

Obama's mother was 18 right?

My father's mother was 18 at the time of his birth and he became a very successful executive.