1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Mavericks, Rockets have discussed Rajon Rondo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

most of his missed games was a broken hand, are you going to peg westbrook with that same moniker over a broken hand? jj redick? paul pierce? mkg? what about robin lopez?

Now if his knee goes again, we could have an issue on our hands.

2. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Are you saying you want to see HERO/ISO BALL again in the post season when defenses tighten up on everyone else? We all know how well that works in the playoffs. Dragic in Houston will elevate him to All-star status just by giving PT. He's scoring 16/gm 3.4 rb 4ast a game splitting time with bledsoe and Thomas this year. Bev is nowhere on Dragic's league.

3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Style of play not over the kind of injury.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Beverley is giving 13, 5.6rb, 3 assists and is a vastly better defender, but more than that, Beverley generates additional possessions, and he does it late in games almost all the time (just this game, that rebound that led to Dwight (miraculously hitting 2 free throws), this isnt the first time, he did it 3 times against phoenix, the value of generating extra possessions doesn't show up on a stat sheet but it is incredibly valuable, especially in crunch time, we'd be cutting off our nose to spite our face. And Dragic's decrease in production should give you some idea of what happens to his production when it isn't about him, and here, it would never be about him.

He's also a better off ball player and catch and shooter, what do you think will happen with Dragic? all he does is stand around and wait for the ball when the other guys have it, so Harden will pass it to him and create his own iso/hero ball set? only without all those hustle plays.

#284 Aleron, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I haven't seen him play the style of defense this year that he played his rookie year or second year. He's a little less aggressive, but his position is a little better. He's a smarter player now. By evidence of him leaving it in 5th gear and not touching 6th.

I still question whether or not his style of play was bad for his knees. I'm not a sports medicine guy, but maybe you are. However, if you are you know it's not an exact science.

Hey Morey! Why haven't you used the data collection to analyze preventable injury? Like angles of the knee over a prolonged period, etc. Pressure on a back when landing. I know Underamor is itching to make stretchy pants with data collection sensors. It might help with shot mechanics as well. Add a net with it and some predictive software that knows if it was a make or miss (because of timing) and software could analyze that data and tell that player after practice/game what was working and what wasn't.

6. baubo

baubo Member

Dragic doesn't play team ball any more than Harden. If you watch Phoenix games, you'd see he doesn't play well off of Thomas or Bledsoe. He's just as much a P&R/transition type of player Harden is, except not as good.

Dragic will be awesome for the Rockets because Harden needs possessions off. But at end-game, he's only a slight upgrade over Beverley. And even that's questionable given Beverley's propensity for the offensive rebound.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Pretty much sums it up.

Better hope Dallas doesn't find a way to get Rondo.

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think Dallas will be formidable come playoff time, but with Rondo they would be downright scary.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not necessarily. I don't think everyone here really wants the Mavs to get better by acquiring a stud.

I think alot of people are intrigued with the idea of bidding up the offer for Rondo only to let them overpay with multiple future firsts, and major bench depth (assuming Brandon Wright and Devin Harris are gone) given the risk factor with Rondo's health, lackluster offensive play this year, and the fact that he's expiring and could potentially max them out this Summer or leave....

I think folks are in love with Cuban going all James Dolan on the NBA and screwing the future of the Mavs to put together max contract players who don't fit together, forgetting the value of good bench depth, and raping their draft pick stash.

I don't think anyone really WANTS the Mavs to acquire Rondo. I just think they are willing to take the bet that it screws them long term.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I want them to get him if they have to give up some key pieces.

11. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

How can rockets acquire rondo without using tpe?

Since he doesn't fit it seems like he is more of a feb trade deadline deal
    For us.... Otherwise we have to prob deal papa and jet to make money right.... Correct?

12. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Is there a way to do a 3 team trade with the trade exception ?

Like something involving philly s Jason Richardson and us sending picks and trade exception, and absorbing rondo into phillys cap space?

Just trying to figure out how we do this trade

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Correct. Well Terry almost for sure. Pap, maybe.

I def. think the Rockets would much rather prefer to trade for Rondo at the deadline. That way they can acquire expiring salary NOW that they can later flip to get Rondo, and only have to give up players like Dorsey, or Daniels to get roster spots.

If the Rockets are forced into trading for Rondo now, it means that the Rockets will almost sure have to give up -

A. Terry

&

B. Either Papanikolaou, or a combination of young players. Most likely Pap.

Both players have been instrumental for the Rockets this year. I guarantee you that Morey would rather wait until the deadline and flip whatever contract/s he gets for Rondo rather than giving up such key pieces now.

14. TheJet

TheJet Member

Maybe it's just me but I don't think Rondo hasn't been "star" Rondo for at least two seasons. I think most folks have the 2008-12 Rondo entrenched in their memory. Yes he's been injured and on a bad team but is he worth the risk of trading away assets and future options? He's never been a good shooter but recently some of his previous strengths have been overrated.

A few assumptions that I've seen folks making:

1) He's dogging it because the Celtics suck.
    - Why would he lower his trade value by intentionally sandbagging? Just to get moved quicker? Why would the Celtics want him to lower his trade value? If he really is tanking is that the attitude we can expect when things don't go his way? We all know the rumors about his locker room persona.

2) He's still coming back from injuries and still getting into game form.
    - Quite possible. But will he ever return to his old form? He doesn't have the same supporting cast. He's missed quite a few games over the past couple of seasons.

3) He's an elite defender and facilitator.
    - He's still dropping dimes but it doesn't look like he's the same defender he was in the past. Again, possibly due to missed time but it's still a factor.

Unless the asking price is ridiculously low I wouldn't risk this version of Rondo. Maybe he comes back on a new team and lights it up. It's happened before and certainly we'd hear all the "I told you so"s. Personally I'd like to see what we can do with all of OUR guys healthy. We're playing very well right now and the chemistry seems to be getting better every week.

As for Dallas, the same really applies to them. If Rondo is damaged goods they might get him cheap. But if he's no longer the star caliber Rondo is it that big of a deal? And if he IS star caliber Rondo they're not going to get him cheap.

The nightmare scenario is that we get the perfect storm. He's dogging it, he goes to Dallas for next to nothing, then becomes all star Rondo again. THAT would suck.

1 person likes this.
  15. benvolio007

benvolio007 Member

Offensively, the team is built around Harden. I don't see how he could have a backcourt mate who didn't shoot the 3 well.
    Rondo is a difference maker but how does he fit next to Harden?

16. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think the most important question here is if we trade significant assets for him would be be willing to change his name to Hondo or even Hajon. Because without that committment I do worry about how he'll fit in with Harden and Howard. Triple H FTW

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Best post in this thread.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Brandan Wright really is the center piece. :eek: Dallas should jump on it and not look back.

#298 J.R., Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I read "rising player" and did not see a mention of said player anywhere in that quote. Wright and Crowder are rising players? :rolleyes:

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I wonder if boston would ship wright to us? than could we still obtain brewer?