1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Extend McHale and Give Him a Pay Raise Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 18, 2014.

Tags:
?

Should the Rockets extend McHale's contract and give him a substantial pay raise?

1. Yes

43.7%
  2. No

56.3%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

When Harden tried and failed to take Arthur 1-on-1 a couple times, McHale called a timeout and switched around the offense. Harden quit trying to get a switch on Arthur and the team went after other opportunities at the end of the 4th period and during overtime. On one play, for example, the team ran an action that resulted in Harden getting guarded by Lawson and Harden promptly got to the basket. We also saw DMo and Howard getting opportunities in the post (DMo scored twice on Faried, which, IIRC, resulted in Faried getting benched for Gallinari).

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Chris Finch anyone? My body is ready.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What do the Rockets have to lose by giving McHale an extension now?

There is no impact on the salary cap. They can still fire him at any time if they want to. The only cost is money out of Les Alexander's pocket.

And Morey spent millions building wiener walls and other upgrades to the locker room because there is a chance that it might help the team.

4. Ghost_of_Akeem

McHale hasn't earned an extension yet. When we beat up on SA, Portland, and OKC in the playoffs he will have earned it.

5. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

Arthur on Harden started halfway through the 4th quarter. Even when Harden hit the clutch 3 with 10 seconds left in regulation, Arthur was still on him. Harden driving past Lawson didn't happen until halfway through the OT, when McHale finally changed it up and started running a Beverley-Harden pick, which also led to a later Harden pull-up jumper against Chandler when Denver did not switch. It took McHale a full 8 minutes to make that adjustment.

During that 8-minute span, the most recognizable coaching move by McHale was putting Black in for 1:18 to give Howard a breather when we were up by 5 with 5 min left in regulation. By the time Howard got back into the game, the 5 point lead was gone because (1) Black stinks and (2) we kept running Harden against Arthur.

I guess I'm just too cheap to give a pay raise to this kind of "coaching".

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's been better this year, I'll give him that. But the real test comes playoff time.

We had a good regular season last year too.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

After the playoffs.

8. rockets belle

rockets belle Member

I say yes based on this season so far. And please stop with this Mcfail comments, it's childish and it's getting old fast.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Let's wait after the playoffs for his extension

But McFarland comments and hating needs to stop now

10. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm not against waiting for the playoffs. Nor am I against jumping on it now and locking the guy up. Seems like he wants to be here so I don't think he'll be leaving either way unless he gets swept in the first round or something crazy.

I guess the real test is going to be, when this roster is 100% healthy does it take a leap and get even better, or will it stop overachieving and drop back to "properly achieving", which would be about the same record but probably wouldn't contend for a title.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

For me, a first round win in this brutal Western Conference would be enough. Another first round loss(especially if they have home court again) would make me think it's time the Rockets look elsewhere.

Look, I thought the Warriors overreacted in firing Mark Jackson last season given he'd had at least some success with that franchise in getting them to the second round, but now we see where Steve Kerr has them.

McHale has done a great job this season, but he has to guide this team further into the postseason than the last 2 years or else we're just spinning our wheels.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His job this season is above reproach, there is literally nothing I can complain about.

But last season, I simply cannot forget the grievous tactical mistakes he made. Particularly allowing Terrence Jones to get slaughtered by Aldridge. That inexplicably poor decision is the reason the Rockets lost the first 2 games, and for all intents and purposes the series, to a team we were better than.

I've retired McFail, but I'm still not drinking to Kool-Aid until I see him in the playoffs.

13. rocket_phem

rocket_phem Member

Uhmmmm we should trade him to the clips for doc rivers plus a first rd pick

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Might as well wait until after the playoffs. No benefit in doing it now. Plus, Les is still reeling from the millions invested in wiener walls.

15. scottie brooks

Does he count against da cap doe?

16. juanm34

juanm34 Member

How about a paycut and a lesser role.
    Unless he gets us to the WCF.

17. hakeemthagreat

So what happens when he's outcoached in another playoff series? Do we get to renig on the extension?

18. baubo

baubo Member

Can't someone just make a "Discuss Kevin McHale the Rockets Head Coach" thread and avoid all the necessary annoyance?

19. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

This.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Guy is a gimmick coach. Harden is carrying this team playing at super star level. Lets see what happens in the playoffs when defenses tighten up and there is more time to scout.

He has done ok this season. The results are there but let's see what he does come playoff time in crucnh late game situations.

Either way, i'd say let him go now when his stock is high. Attach Dorsey and a bag of chips.