1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe VS. Lebron

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsAstros, Jan 13, 2005.

1. RocketsAstros

RocketsAstros Contributing Member

Kobe comes out tonight, and proves to the everyone, and especially the 20 year old, that he is still the best all around player in the game!!! Lakers win! Lebron gets a moral victory in that he got to take lessons from the best!:cool:

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

When Kobe dreams at night...he dreams that he has half the court presence and basketball IQ that Lebron already possesses at a far younger age.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That, or he dreams of cheating on his wife with teenage girls.

4. MadMax

Kobe is the best husband in the world....

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!

[​IMG]

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have no idea where you get that from, Kobe Bryant is one of the smartest players in the NBA, has been for years. Lebron is smart too, but the only thing Kobe might dream of having that Lebron has is his passing ability and vision.

7. MadMax

I think you might be taking my post too seriously.

Having said that...if I'm starting a team, I'd take Lebron over Kobe every day of the week.

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Me too!

9. RocketsAstros

I'll take Kobe, and tomorrow I'll recap points from the game to prove why he is the hands down better choice.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Interesting things to be aware of:

Kobe is in the midst of his worst season FG%. He's notably below even his rookie year (40.6% vs 41.7%). He's also playing more minutes than he ever has in his career (43.1 vs his typical 38) - this is worth watching, since he has proven that he can wear out as the season goes on (especially in 4th quarters).

His FT% is a bit lower than his career avg, so are his steals. He's making up for that in turnovers, averaging an alarming 4.5 per game. This would be bad for anyone, and his career TOPG is 2.8.

In the believe it or not category though, Kobe's not shooting more than he ever has. He's actually shot more twice already in his career (though with better precentages and thus higher scoring averages). And his assists have jumped up by a fair margin: almost 7 a game, well above his previous high of 5.9 and career 4.4.

All together, what does it say? I think he's due for a 5 game stress injury or two. I also think the Lakers will be paste in the playoffs if Kobe runs out of gas and defenses ramp up.

As far as comparing Kobe to LeBron, I'd say it's an easy call that LeBron is far ahead of where Kobe was at year 2. He's at Kobe year 4, only minus the bratty attitude and add a much higher team concept and instincts. Something I'd consider - do the two have teammates of different caliber? I'd argue that Kobe's got the more talented/athletic cast, but I don't think I can say that they benefit from his presence - something that jumps at you with the Cavs and LeBron.

Kobe today is a better scorer, a more accurate marksman, and has a major advantage in experience. LeBron's gaining ground awfully fast though, and looks to have a higher ceiling.

Evan

11. RocketsAstros

Nonsense! Kobe does not wear out in 4th quarters. He gets stronger!! His #'s in the 4th qtr on the year best the other 3 quarters. With that said, I refuse to believe your take that Lebron will eventually be better than Kobe.

12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

kobe may dream of lebron's passing ability/vision and everyone in the nba dreams of his size and athleticism (his explosion is unreal and the biggest reason for his dominance) but kobe definitely doesn't dream of his IQ. kobe is smart. perhaps selfish, but not stupid.

that said, lebron is already very close to kobe and should surpass him fairly soon. his growth is just unbelievable.

as for their supporting cast, neither has a spectacular one, but at least lebron is in the east.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

kobe went down with a serious ankle injury. well it could be minor, but he was helped all the way to the locker room so it looks pretty serious, while i dont wish injury on anyone this opens the door for the rockets to move up in the standings.

14. RocketsAstros

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Phil Jackson openly put that out there in his book, and I'd be willing to take his word. As far as the numbers, Kobe (originally under Phil's direction) follows the Jordan philosophy: play a team game for 3 quarters, than put on a personal show in the fourth. I don't have them in front of me, but numbers to look at (past points) are assists and FG% (first 3 quarters vs 4th or first half vs 4th quarter).

No one has to believe me. Just be careful about wearing blinders.

Kobe out for a week with an ankle injury? Who would have guessed?!

Evan