1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we have enough assets to swing for the fences and trade for both Melo and Paul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Sep 20, 2010.

?

Do we have enough assets to swing for the fences and trade for both Melo and Paul?

1. Yes

67 vote(s)
    37.6%
  2. No

111 vote(s)
    62.4%
  1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We've got enough salary to do it. Do we have enough assets. The way the situation looks to be breaking down in Denver is Melo is telling them he is leaving but he won't accept a trade if they are going to break the bank on his new team and make it hard for them to compete. If that is so, then he has them over a barrel. They either take what they can get now or get nothing later. So, with that in mind, what is the least we could trade that Denver would accept.

I am thinking about the idea of splitting the NY draft picks and combining those picks with future Rox picks to make these deals work. Both teams would allegedly want a salary dump and young talent + picks to make the deals work.

Denver: Chase, plus Battier or Jeffries, plus 2 picks, possibly NY's 2011 and a future Rockets first rounder (undetermined year). Would that get it done?

Or possibly a bigger trade including Billups, since Billups could be a potential expiring contract to use in a trade for Paul at the break.

Chase, Battier, Jeffries, Brooks, Hayes (expiring to be released), plus other non-guaranteed deals plus NY's 2011 and a future Rockets pick for Melo and Billups. Would this get it done?

New Orleans: Expirings plus two picks plus ??????

Do you think it is possible if both guys pull the same thing, telling their respective teams that they are going to leave and telling them they can either trade them now or they are going to walk for nothing...in this special year...the last year of the CBA before there is a strike and a drastic change of salary structure in the NBA?

2. jopatmc

I am really talking about enough assets outside of Yao, Martin, and Scola. Scola is BYC. He's going to be difficult to move anyway and a rebuilding team, either Denver or New Orleans has no use for a 30 y/o guy making the money he makes. Yao.....foregone conclusion we aren't trading him.

3. Prince

Prince Member

everyone except Lusi and Brooks.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Only if the Rockets move to LA or NY, because it's obvious that the most important asset, these days, is glamor, and we come up short in that category.

5. ashiin

ashiin Member

Is it possible? Yes.

Will it gut our team? Yes.

6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

This. You might have Melo and Paul, but that's all you'll have.

7. jopatmc

I realize it will gut our team of everything but Yao, Scola, and Martin.

However I would not be worried about "gutting" the team when you have a starting 5 of:

Paul
    Martin
    Melo
    Yao
    Scola

First of all, some of the traded players such as Ish Smith, Alexander Johnson, Jeffries, Hayes, Taylor....are going to get released and could be re-signed.

Secondly,
    there are other guys that could be signed as stop gap players at the minimum, just like Miami did.

So, I'm not worried about gutting the team.

I am wondering if we have enough assets to grab both guys. The problem with New Orleans is they would most likely want to dump Okafor's contract along with Paul. Of course, in a salary dump, perhaps Scola would be aggregated into a bigger trade there.

Another point I want to make, something I am picking up on with Morey wanting to sign another 5, when we already have two legit 7 footers (Yao/Miller) and we have Scola and Hill that can both play minutes at the 5. I think there is an agreement in place with Brad Miller to be able to use his contract in trade with a preset buyout that he has already agreed to before he signed his contract, for the trading team, that will allow him to be bought out and re-sign with the Rox later in the season. I know he can't be traded for a while, but when you look at trade deadline possibilities or even after 90 days, his salary is probably available for trade purposes, especially if we add another big as a stop-gap type.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Guess you didn't hear. C-Bud said it ain't happening.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If Melo is really pulling that, then Battier, Jeffries, Hill, Budinger + 2 NY draft picks would probably be the best deal Denver can get. (I'm assuming, Melo is essentially wiping starters and potential star picks like Cousins or Favors off the table)

10. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I be worry if that is the starting 5 as 3 of them have an injury issue, all 5 does not really play defense and 3 of them is at the end of their contract.

11. Seth

Seth Member

Yes, you can because your assets start at a high risk Yao Ming and go all the way to a Luis Scola or Aaron Brooks.

Yao, Brooks, Jeffries for Chris Paul and Emeka Okafor

Kevin Martin and Shane Battier for Carmelo Anthony

Rox final Lineup

Paul/Lowry/Smith
    Lee/Budinger/Taylor
    Anthony/Budinger/Johnson
    Scola/Hill/Hayes
    Okafor/Miller/Patterson

Most likely both Carmelo and Paul will resign with Houston with that team assembled.

Not going to happen anyway, but that´s what would do if possible. Both are fine offers who include players under contracts and expirings as both teams needs and some younger prospects.

12. Seth

Seth Member

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It's possible...but.....you don't really want to do that. Do you? Think about it. :confused:

14. Seth

Seth Member

Why not? both will resign for sure, and you have a very young core to build arround for years.
    A core that doesn´t have injury issues of any matter.
    And you also get to keep up and comming Lee, Buddinger and Hill to play supporting roles along with Scola who becames a trade chip after his first year of his new contract.
    Getting a third Star would be very easy with that core.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I don't think CP3 is even on the trading block anymore, if he ever was to begin with.

16. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

The assumptions required to make all three teams interested in those deals are too big to really make it worth of a discussion.

With the news on Yao, I'd be surprised if Melo really considers Houston a favorable destination. Way too much risk.

So that means that Paul has to come first. Why des NO want to trade to a divisional rival, especially if it looks to make the Rox better right now? It'd have to be a great offer. I think including Yao would do it, but that's not going to happen.

I think the best course of action is nothing at this point. By the trade deadline, things could look a lot different. Questions about Yao could be answered. We'd know whether Brooks or Martin are all-star quality. We'll have a better idea on Chase. There might be a team willing to give up a lot for Lowry, who knows.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i would dump everyone for both for sure if both are willing to commit to stay. do we need to debate? not at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is weird to debate on it.

we really need to debate on whether they want to come here. i don't see they will come here. they should realize it means rox has nothing but two of them if they come here. all valueable pieces have to be in the trades for getting them. in this sense, rox is no difference from knicks. knicks clearly has advantage over us. i know ppl will list no state tax. however, it doesn't deter any celebrites to avoid ny.

18. jopatmc

I'm talking about acquiring both of them without giving up Yao, Martin, and Scola.

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

no. don't dream it.

20. TimBly15

TimBly15 Member

getting just one of them would be awesome