1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White ready to make NBA debut with Kings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tim777dawg, Mar 21, 2014.

1. tim777dawg

tim777dawg Member

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but I apologize if it was and please lock it if so. I saw this on the NBA.com hangtime discussion just now. I'll believe it when I see it:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/03/21/morning-shootaround-march-21-2/#kings

No. 3: Kings’ White ready to make his NBA debut – Royce White, the 16th pick of the 2012 Draft, has experienced a long and winding road in and out of the NBA since that night. White, who suffers from generalized anxiety disorder, never played in an NBA game with the Houston Rockets (the team that drafted him). He was traded to the Philadelphia 76ers in the offseason and while he played in the preseason, he was cut before the opener of the 2013-14 season. The Sacramento Kings signed White to a 10-day contract on March 6 and to a second 10-day deal last week. He’s spent time with the Kings’ NBA D-League affiliate, the Reno Bighorns, and was called up to the team and could play in an actual NBA game tonight against the San Antonio Spurs, writes Jason Jones of The Sacramento Bee:

Players signing 10-day contracts usually isn’t big news.

But most players who sign 10-day contracts aren’t fewer than two years removed from being a first-round draft pick and have never played in an NBA regular-season game.

White, 22, was selected by Houston with the 16th pick in the 2012 draft. White, however, never played a game for the Rockets. White and Houston never agreed on the best way to deal with his mental-health concerns. White has been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, which leaves him susceptible to panic attacks and having a fear of flying.

White said those issues are not a problem with the Kings after his experience with Houston, which eventually traded White to Philadelphia. The 76ers waived him before the the start of this season.

“I think (the issues) kind of resolved themselves over time,” White said Thursday after his first practice with the Kings. “Just me being in the league for a year and a half and having things be on the table with the league and the union and discussing it put this organization in a better position to handle things. It’s been so good we haven’t even had a discussion about anything. That’s exciting.”

The Kings went into the first 10-day contract with a plan of how to bring White along, beginning with a four-game stint in the D-League. He spent last weekend working out in Sacramento before signing his second 10-day deal. White said the process of joining the Kings has gone well, and that it began with a workout in late February.

“It happened really quick, but we still did it in a way that was really thought out,” White said. “We took a number of things into account. (General manager Pete D’Alessandro) has been great and understanding with me, where I’m coming from, where I want to go and how that fits into the Kings’ organization and being real flexible with me, and I really appreciate that.”

After White’s first practice with the Kings, coach Michael Malone said he was impressed with his strength, passing and basketball IQ.

Malone said White would be treated like every other player on the roster. When asked if there were any concerns, the coach said, “Not at all.” Malone said if White doesn’t play tonight, he would against Milwaukee on Sunday.

“This whole process between Royce and the Sacramento Kings is about him as a basketball player,” Malone said. “He did everything that we asked him to do up in Reno. He’s been tremendous while he’s been in Sacramento. No problems at all. No worries from our standpoint as a coaching staff. We’re going to expect him to do what everybody else is expected to do. Show up on time, work hard, pay attention, be disciplined and buy in to what we’re trying to do. He appears to be ready, willing and able to do that.”

Regarding rumors and stories that have been written about White and the issues that have delayed his pro career, White said: “Read what you want. There’s nothing I can really say in a sentence. There’s a lot of things I want people to know.”

2. The Drake

The Drake Member

Not a fan of how he handled things in Houston, but I hope he's able to #BeWell and re-start his career in Sacramento.

3. valorita

valorita Member

Rox should sue him

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

FIFYA

5. The Situation

The Situation Member

He got his anxiety under control, how convenient.

Did he keep the bus tho?

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Now we know how L.A. feels. :p

7. AFS

AFS Member

Sue him for what?

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's always about me with Royce. How i feel, that they know how i feel, that the league should know what I feel. ****ing drama queen.

9. kastuul

kastuul Member

He will show his true color after getting a guaranteed contract.

10. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I really want to see him play. Was dying for him to play here, but all that #BeWell crap was getting annoying. I know it's fear of his to fly, but that's all the NBA is about is flying from city to city.

11. rocketsmetalspd

Will be watching. See IF the Spurs play all of their big 3 since they will play GS tomorrow night off a B2B.

12. AXG

AXG Member

Translation: He needs more money for all them baby mamas

13. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Can't believe I actually thought he could be our LeBron-lite after watching his highlights

SMFH.

14. Classic

Classic Member

With the direction of soft drinks, we can modify:

Lebron-Zero

15. BonziWellsGOAT

The bottom line is that I really hope you can.......

#BeWell

16. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I knew he would suddenly lose his fear of flying once those 5 digit pay checks stopped coming in. Funny he now goes to a city where his flying miles will be the most of any team in the NBA.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If that is true, we will never see his "true color" in the NBA.

18. Honeybager81

Honeybager81 Member

I don't think the fear of flying was the main issue. He did not like that the team sent him to the d-league and he was using his mental health issues as excuses to stand off with the rockets organization. He did not realized that as a rookie, he had to pay his dues to earn minutes, just like what d-mo and Tjones did. He could not beat out Tjones and dmo anyway. He only went back dleague after the organization was about to cut his payments for not working. Remember playing in the dleague does not require air travels as many as in the NBA, and the team did not force him to play away games with long distance travel. He was out of shape, he did not work hard to get ready. He is really immature and unprofessional, although he is a smart guy and very talented. Frankly speaking, he never even faced the real travel issues last season. Hopefully he will grow up, finally make the NBA, cause he needs to be now, otherwise he will not have the luxury paycheck anymore. He knows it, lets see how he work his way up in the nba.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Can't get the honeys without the moneys.

20. Doktor Mndbndr

He was a bit slow to wake up to reality. But it'd be interesting to see if Royce White is good for anything basketball-wise.