1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] Bungie's new game "Destiny"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobmarley, Nov 29, 2012.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Sorry for the long post. So I included lots of pictures.
    <iframe src="http://widgets.ign.com/video/embed/content.html?url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/11/27/news-bungies-destiny-story-details-concept-art-leaked" width="468" height="263" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bungie's Destiny Story Details, Concept Art Leaked
    First details on the next game from the creators of Halo.
    by Andrew Goldfarb NOVEMBER 27, 2012

Leaked materials provided to IGN by a reader have revealed story details and concept art from Destiny, Bungie’s follow-up to the Halo franchise. Bungie has confirmed to IGN that the document was prepared by an advertising agency and represents an outside look at Destiny’s plot, key values and more.

According to the document, “Our story begins seven hundred years from now in the Last City on Earth, in a Solar System littered with the ruins of man’s Golden Age. A massive, mysterious alien ship hangs overhead like a second Moon. No one knows where it came from or what it’s here for, but only that it’s our protector. Meanwhile, strange, alien monsters creep in from the edge of the universe, determined to take Earth and the Last City. We are young ‘knights’ tasked with defending the remains of humanity, discovering the source of these monsters and – eventually – overcoming it.” Elsewhere in the document, the massive alien ship is referred to as “the Traveler.”

[​IMG]

Destiny is further described as “fun and accessible to all,” aiming “to create a universe as deep, tangible and relatable as that of the Star Wars franchise.” Based on the language in the document, it appears that Bungie aims to create a universe accessible to multiple demographics, perhaps suggesting that Destiny will be less mature than Bungie’s efforts with Halo. A quote from Bungie co-founder Jason Jones says “Destiny is designed for your inner seven year old. We want to make it feel like a mythic adventure.”

Destiny’s gameplay is described by the document as “social at its core,” offering “a world to explore with friends, both old and new.” It’s unclear whether this confirms comments from Bungie in 2011 that the game is an MMO, which Bungie later called a joke. The document also includes a Destiny logo along with Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 icons, as well as the URL Destiny.com. While Destiny.com is currently password-protected, if it is indeed a URL that’s been purchased by Bungie, it could suggest that Destiny will ultimately be the game’s final name rather than a codename as previously speculated.

[​IMG]

We reached out to Bungie regarding the information and received the following statement:

“We’re not quite ready to take the wraps off our next universe, but in light of recent events we thought we’d give fans something a little more official over at Bungie.net. Feel free to drop by and say hello! There’s much more to come.”

Shortly after, Bungie posted the following image on its official site:

[​IMG]

In addition, the document provided to IGN includes several pieces of concept art from Bungie, seen below:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Four additional images were also provided by Bungie's agency:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It's worth noting that the agency-provided images do appear to be mock-ups for advertising purposes and are likely based on previously existing imagery. Eagle-eyed readers have pointed out that the second image appears to be based on artwork from canceled Command & Conquer game Tiberium.

The name Destiny first emerged in May when court documents revealed details on four games in the series. At the time, installments in the Destiny series were revealed to be coming in fall 2013, fall 2015, fall 2017 and fall 2019. In 2014, 2016, 2018 and 2020, downloadable expansions known as “Comet” were also said to be planned.

The contract suggested the first Destiny game would be available first on Xbox 360 as well as “the next successor console platform released by Microsoft,” which the contract referred to as Xbox 720. Releases on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC were said to be planned in the years following, though today's information suggests a more closely timed release could be a possibility.

For more information on Destiny, keep an eye on IGN's Destiny wiki guide.

1 person likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Can't wait. From the concept art it looks like this is going to be one beautiful game. Interesting that it has a "social core." Don't knwo what to make of that considering it won't be an MMO, because something like Mass Effect would be very cool if made by bungie. And that protector ship looks like the didact ship from halo 4

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Looks cool. Interested to see what type of game it is.

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Believe it is a MMOFPS...though can't remember if that came from one of these leaks, or if it is just assumed.

Really like the art.

5. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

much different from the squeakers on their other games.

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

They said they want to create an in depth world like how Star Wars is.

7. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

the concept looks real cool. if they make another revolutionary game, its nice that it happens after i graduate. halo 2 got me kicked out of college.

8. RC Cola

BTW, it sounds like Bungie might show this off at the upcoming VGAs next week (December 7th). At least that's what Internet speculation is telling me (i.e., Bungie saying they'll show it soon, Geoff Keighley making an interesting tweet, etc.).

Not sure if that was mentioned in the video in the OP since I didn't watch it.

9. RC Cola

So I was wrong in my last post in this thread. But I'm making up for it!

Bungie will show this off on the 17th:
    http://www.bungie.net/en-US/View/community/blog/News?aid=10219
    I think they already started their viral campaign (similar to the awesome ones they did for previous games).

10. RC Cola

Some leaks on this. I'll just link to a NeoGAF thread since everything is summarized there (plus new info is still coming out):
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513574
    Sounds like you'll be able to preorder this next week. PS3/360 mentioned (what about PC?). Some tidbits of info on what to expect with the game. One retailer listed 10/6/2013, but who knows?

11. RC Cola

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EwOUi4JDC4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lots of stuff to check out. I'm lazy, so I'll just point to NeoGAF thread that sums everything up (and updates with new info):
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513873

12. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

whoa.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I would give anything to work for this company; they just "get" how to weave believable universes.

14. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Skyrim with guns? :eek:

[​IMG]

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Mass Effect is still lingering on my mind. Totally different premise despite the similar futuristic setting.

I think there will be comparisons...

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hmm...looks pretty dang cool. Will definitely check it out.

17. RC Cola

That would be Fallout (or Bethesda's Fallout). And not sure this is even a good example anyway (especially with this being a MMO).

Probably "awesome MMO Halo" or something.

(assuming Bungie can meet their ambitious goals of course)

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Not a fan of MMOs...but if it's a FPS, I might just give it a go...it looks awesome.

19. dback816

dback816 Member

Looks great but...all these talk about "10 year plan" makes me kind eh about it.

20. RC Cola

It is a FPS.

A MMO FPS. :)

Just think of an "always online" Halo or something, where you're always connected to other players and a persistent universe (think that's how they describe it).