1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DAILY KOS] Why liberals should love the Second Amendment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Svpernaut, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This explains my stance on guns perfectly, and also exposes why many conservatives are baffled by liberal's distaste for the 2nd amendment. Read it from a fellow liberal's point of view.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/07/04/881431/-Why-liberals-should-love-the-Second-Amendment

2. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

You should consider changing that signature.

3. Svpernaut

I don't think you get it. The 2nd Amendment is about the right to protect yourself, however you so choose.

I should point out, that I am just trying to get a better understanding as to why liberals despise the 2nd amendment, yet fight tooth and nail for the others.

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

5. Svpernaut

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You're posting a daily kos article in support of your belief and saying we don't get it?

You've become a caricature.

7. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

You can start by checking your misinformed stereotypes at the door.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Pretty much this. I don't see the point in "debating" someone who has already stated that "XXX group despises YYY".

9. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a childish, terrible article. First of all, explain to me why consistency is inherently good. I never understood that. People point out consistency as an argument, but it seems like consistency is used to undermine the credibility of the speaker rather than making a real argument.

Second, the article takes a liberal argument at a simplistic, face value level. The question that most liberals have is not whether the second amendment should be protected, but rather how best to interpret the second amendment (a point I've hammered home to you many times but you seem intent on ignoring it). So the article falsely assumes that liberals are making an argument against the second amendment inherently. When seeking to critique someone's position, you should always seek take your opponents argument at its best (ie most complex) rather than rely on a simplistic interpretation.

Third, even if you don't think my second point is true, I still think its okay to criticize the second amendment itself. When one is defending a right enumerated in the constitution, a person with average intellect will say "it exists in the constitution therefore it is good." In contrast, someone with higher level thinking skills will say "it exists in the constitution, now let me explain to you WHY it does by normatively justifying the right as good." If asked, I could easily defend the right to free speech without relying on its existence in the bill of rights.

Overall, one of those articles that appeals to people who don't seek deeper justifications for their beliefs. Good for false analogies and emotional appeals.

1 person likes this.
  10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I fully support your right to own an AR-15. Just please don't walk through a grocery store or a mall with it to assert that right. Otherwise me, you, and Thomases Paine and Jefferson are cool.

11. Svpernaut

It's not a stereotype if it is true. Yes, there are gun-loving liberals, so I guess I should have said "most."

12. Svpernaut

Not asking for a debate, just feedback. You believe what you want to believe, and I just want to know why... as I've been pressed by countless people on this very board as to why I believe what I believe.

13. Svpernaut

It is a "progressive" blog just like the beloved Huffington Post that is thrown around here all the time. Sorry if I don't know what is a well-respected news source by lefties anymore.

14. rhadamanthus

That's the thing. You have no idea what I believe. But you think this article should explain why I'm wrong. Or something.

Generically, using the term "liberal" or "conservative" in posts like this illicits an eyeroll and a mouseclick elsewhere.

15. Svpernaut

WRONG.

You chose to believe what you wanted to believe. There is a disconnect, and it is the same across nearly every liberal I talk to, which are many. They will protect the freedom of the press, the freedom of speech the ACLU (a group I actually support for the most part) and many other "defenders of freedom..." until it gets to those pesky guns.

I don't get it, thus the reason for asking.

16. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

FTFY..

17. rhadamanthus

Not really.

I don't consider myself liberal or conservative by the myriad of annoying "definitions" thrown around in american political circles but I'm probably labeled liberal more often than not.

I own guns. I support gun rights. I have no issue limiting those rights when prudent to do so.

18. Svpernaut

I don't see you or anyone else defending the conservative posters here when "definitions" like bigot, racist, gun-nut, wing-nut, tea-bagger, Fox News watcher or any other lame attempts to get a reaction is thrown around... simply because they post an opinion not inline with the majority here. Don't be so sensitive.

19. bucket

bucket Member

I support the Second Amendment, just not a certain whacked-out interpretation of it.

20. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I post an in-depth critique. Svpernaut responds to every post in the thread but mine. Hmmmm...