1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Hannah Storm cover the Rocks in the 80's

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Oct 2, 2003.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

For some reason I remember her covering Rockets games with a big blonde afro. Did she or am I going senile in my old age.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Around 87 and 88 I know she covered the Rockets and yes she was a blonde then but I don't remember a fro.

3. rockbox

I'm glad I wasn't going totally senile. How the hell did we go from Hannah Storm to Lisa Malosky.

BTW, it wasn't really a fro, I just remember it being big, round and curly.

4. rockbox

I found a bio about her on the internet. It states that she left town because no one would hire her because she was a woman. Talk about dumb decisions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hannah Storm is a sportscaster for NBC. As a child, she was around sports because her father was commissioner of the American Basketball Association and also president of the NBA's Atlanta Hawks. "I developed self-confidence around athletes. Self-confidence is so important in succeeding in any career." (20)
    She earned a degree in communications and political science from the University of Notre Dame. While in school she worked for local stations. After graduation in 1983, she sent out 175 resumes for a sportscasting job. When that failed to produce any results, she took a job as a disc jockey at a radio station in Corpus Christi, Texas. She learned about the job through an ad. Six months later she got a job at a Houston rock station doing part-time sports work.

During her four years in Houston, she held radio jobs (including co-hosting a radio sports talk show with a Houston Rockets team member), freelanced for Home Sports Entertainment cable, and hosted the NBA Rockets' halftime and postgame shows for an independent TV station.

In 1988 she lost her radio job. She tried to land a full-time TV job but no Houston station would hire her. "... I interviewed for openings at all the TV stations there and couldn't get hired. I had a name and a lot of experience, and one news director there said he wouldn't hire a woman over his dead body. I was turned down for more jobs than I care to think about now, some simply because of my gender." (21)

Finally, when one news director told her she didn't have enough experience, "... I came to the realization I had to leave town.'' (22)

She went to Charlotte, North Carolina for a year, where she was a weekend anchor and sports reporter. Then in 1989 CNN hired her. But first she was given a quiz to test her knowledge about sports. "I was just floored. I asked him, 'Do you give this quiz to everybody?' He said, 'Oh yes, everybody takes this test.'" (23) Later she found out that none of her male colleagues had been tested. At that time, the CNN sports department had 75 men and three women.

Storm was a sportscaster for CNN for three years. She served as the anchor of "CNN Sports Tonight" and host of "CNN Sports Saturday" and "CNN Sports Sunday," and co-host of the 1990 Goodwill Games. "On some weekends, we were doing five half-hour shows, writing all of our own material. You were working 12-hour days, working like crazy. By the time I got to NBC, I had so much experience I felt like it helped me jump right in there." (24)

NBC hired her in 1992. There she covered tennis, co-hosted "Notre Dame Saturday," and was a sideline reporter for college football games. In 1994 she was named the primary sideline reporter for NBC's NFL coverage. She also served as a reporter for NBA games. In 1995 she anchored "Baseball Night in America," making her the first woman to host a weekly network pregame show for a major sport. In 1996 she co-anchored the Atlanta Olympics late-night show, as she had also done in Barcelona at the 1992 Games.

In 1997 she became the host of "NBA Showtime." Bob Costas, who had been host, moved into play-by-play coverage and Storm took over the studio job. "What was really gratifying is that a woman has never had this role in network television, and nobody made a big deal of it. People accepted me as a sportscaster and there was no fanfare, no, 'She does a good job for a woman.'" (25)

In 1997 she also became the play-by-play voice for NBC's coverage of the WNBA. "It's unusual to be doing your first play-by-play in the middle of your career. Usually you take the (Bob) Costas route, starting when you're 20 years old.

"I love basketball, but I was never sure an opportunity like this would present itself." (26)

"You're only as good as your last game. You have to strive every time you go on camera for excellence and believe that nothing short of that is acceptable.

"I never want to sit back and say, 'Now that I am at NBC I can coast.' Everything I do, every time I do it, I want to be better." (27)

''Communication is the bottom line. The key is to project an aura of confidence, knowledge and comfortableness - if that's a word - so the audience is comfortable with you. All that adds up to one key word, and that's 'credibility,' and that goes for a man or a woman.'' (28)

"I'm not going to let someone else's agenda, prejudices or small-mindedness keep me from doing my job." (29)

"You can't control what people's attitudes are towards you, you can't control the way they think about women, but what you can control is your reaction." (30)

"I would say there are still definitely areas to conquer, and I'm certain that they will be at some point. It's just a natural evolution of the ways things have gone and the opportunities that have increased for women. I think at some point you'll see a team hire a woman as its play-by-play or color voice." (31)

Like other women in sportscasting, Storm has talked about the demands on her personal life. "I had a problem as far as long-term relationships because a lot of the men I dated weren't secure with what I was doing. They weren't secure with the fact that I was on TV, that I worked every weekend, that I worked with all men, that I went into locker rooms -- it was the whole nine yards." (32)

In 1994 Storm married Dan Hicks, a fellow sportscaster she met at CNN. He also moved to NBC in 1992 and currently covers golf, the NFL, and Olympic sports. Said Hicks, "Having her as a wife has been ideal because she understands the demands and intensity of the business. When we go out on the road or research an event, we each know from firsthand experience what it's like." (33) They are both frequently on the road and have to juggle running a household between them. "Nobody is anchored here taking care of all the little household things.

"It's a pretty wild situation but somehow we get it all done," he noted. (34) NBC cooperates by making sure Storm and Hicks are never kept apart more than three weeks at a time and the network has accommodated them in their parenting of two young daughters.

5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Come on, someone has to have a pic of her '80s hairdo somewhere. :D

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

What ever happened to McCoy McLemore??

7. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yep.

She was on a channel in Houston called: 20 Vision (KTXH-TV), now called UPN 20. :)

But though she started in the early 80's (83-84ish), not late 80s.

Anyways,
    Here's a story on her...she's come a long way since the "fro!" :)

[​IMG]

(CBS)_In her 10 years as an anchor and reporter for NBC Sports, Hannah Storm, 40, has hosted that network’s broadcasts of dozens of major sports events, including the Olympics, the National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball and Wimbledon.

Storm has hosted coverage of four Olympic Summer Games: the late-night programs from Barcelona and Atlanta, and the daytime and weekend programs from Sydney and Salt Lake City. She became the first woman to serve as the solo anchor of a network’s major sports package when she hosted NBC’s coverage of the NBA (1997-2002) and Major League Baseball, including three World Series (1995, ’97 and ’99).

Storm also was the primary play-by-play announcer for the inaugural season of the Women’s National Basketball Association (1997). Her extensive reporting experience includes work for NBC’s coverage of the National Football League, the NBA, the PGA Tour and golf’s Women’s U.S. Open.

Storm received the Gracie Allen Award from the American Women in Radio and Television for her work as a reporter. She is also the only woman to have been nominated for an Emmy Award for Best Sports Television Host.

Storm’s recently published book, "Go Girl!," a sports guide for parents, is in its second printing (Source Books, 2002). Before joining NBC Sports, she anchored "CNN Sports Tonight" and weekend sports programs for the cable channel (1989-92). Previously, Storm was a sports anchor and reporter for WPQC-TV Charlotte, N.C. (1988-89); KTXH-TV in Houston; Home Sports Entertainment; KNCN-FM Radio in Corpus Christi, Texas; and WNDU-TV South Bend, Ind. (between 1982-88).

Storm was born on June 13, 1962, in Oak Park, Ill. She was graduated from the University of Notre Dame in 1983 with a degree in political science and communications. She lives in the New York area with her husband, NBC Sports anchor Dan Hicks, and their three children.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hannah Storm was pretty horrible in her own right when she started out, although she did improve. And that Bozo the Clown fro she had will haunt her for life... :D

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

It's funny you guys call the "teased big hair look" a fro...

She had the standard look that most women (especially Texas women) had in the early to mid 80's.

It s the same look you used to see on every "hair-band" on the planet in the 80's.

10. DavidS

Heh...Yeah but it was HUGE! :)

No, really. It's just funny seeing her now, and then seeing her then.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes and we know those hair bands don't have to hang their heads in shame. :D

The fro Hannah had was from the 70's. It was a Flo "Kiss My Grits" fro. That wasn't just big hair, that was a monster.

12. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

Where is she now ?

13. DavidS

Works for NBC, in NY.

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

All I remember was her being a DJ on Rock 101 KLOL during my junior and senior years in high school.

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Or was it 97 Rock she was on? I lost a lot of brain cells around that time....and the twenty years since.

16. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Wasn't it Starr97, with Moby in the Morning? Did she follow Moby to 101?

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Moby and Matthews were on 97 Rock and I believe Hanna too. I don't remember Starr97.

Damn, I feel old...

18. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

I remember seeing her on HSE and Channel 20 doing the halftime and post game shows in the mid 80's. As the good Dr. already mentioned, she was REALLY bad when she first started out. But she improved.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

How come we didn't hire this Lisa Guerro girl. Hot damn.

20. MONON

MONON Member

Robert Reid had a tv show late in his career that featured Hannah Storm. I believe it was on Saturday or Sunday nights. It didn't last long.