1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Stuff to See in America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 21, 2015.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was just re-reading Arno-ed's thread about favorite places to travel and was reminded about how little he's interested in visiting the US. While we get a lot of tourists he's not the first non-American I've heard from who doesn't want to visit the US. I think for many our reputation for being ugly Americans is a turnoff and many people think of America as being loud, commercial and tacky. There also many Americans who think that our own country isn't as worthwhile to visit as others.

I've been fortunate enough to travel a lot of the world and this year plan on doing more travel with a possible trip coming up to Turkey and Nepal. Even seeing a lot of the rest of the World I will still put the US up as one of the best places to visit. This country spans a whole continent and has environments ranging from tropics to arctic glaciers. There are environments here that don't exist anywhere else in the World. We are a melting pot of cultures from around the World and from that fusion have developed unique food of out own. In my own humble city I can get moose meat tacos on frybread, Pho and carnitas within a mile of where I live. I can walk or bike to several tap rooms where I can get world class microbrewed beer. Within a few hours I can drive to see what are essentially freshwater seas with wolves, moose and eagles living out in the wild. This is just in Minneapolis, a medium sized land locked city in the middle of the continent.

Help me convince Arno Ed and other Clutchfans out there who might not be interested in coming to see this country about some great stuff to see in America.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

James Harden

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

A lot of foreigners want to visit the United States. Getting them to leave is the hard part. Seriously though, the biggest problem with vacationing in the US is that everything is so far apart. In Europe, you can visit 3 countries in a week and see 3 distinct cultures. In the US, it takes days just to get out of Texas or California.

My favorite places in the US in no particular order.

Florida beaches. I think they are the most underrated beaches in the world especially the ones in the panhandle.
    Rocky Mountains in any state.
    Southern California - the weather is as nice as any place in the world
    Grand Canyon

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

lol :grin:

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Autumn colors seen covering entire mountains. Not too many places with that vast of a view.

Maples in the Northeast and Aspens in Colorado.

It's stunning to see mountain upon mountain (14ers in CO) painted in yellow. In fact, the largest terrestrial, single organism in the world is an sspen grove in central CO.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Grand Canyon
    Fall foliage in New England
    Mall in DC

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would really love to hear about the not-so-obvious places. Maybe some really great towns, small cities.

Maybe a group of places close enough to each other to be able to experience in a short period of time.

It's not only about sights. There are places with no great touristy spots but people still have a great time maybe because of the people or the city life or the fishing or the surfing.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

To see even the main places in the US will take about a month and you'll need lots of $$$ per person. I'm not sure many people have that kind of time and money esp coming from abroad

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That would be Colorado.

Ouray (quite possibly the most stunning tiny city in the continental US), Telluride, Durango and then Mesa Verde. All in day.

Start with breakfast in Durango. Go to Mesa Verde in the morning, before it gets too hot. Return to Durango and get on the Siverton train probably the best train ride in the US...have lunch in the club car. Get a beer in Silverton's famous micro breweries. Rent a Jeep for the short drive over the pass to Ouray. You will never forget that drive. Chill in Ouray for an hour or so gazing at the iron cliff box canyon. Then for those who are good off roading, take that jeep over the other pass to Telluride for dinner. And get a cabin at the resort.

The next day you do it in reverse (except Mesa Verde) and spend more time in Ouray (you'll want to) to try the hot springs.

Also love the Rio Grande valley drive in CO that takes you to a city called Lake City. It's at the foot of the Alpine Loop which is a summer playground for Texans who love off-roading.

Crested Butte, Aspen (of course), Salida, and too many to name. All stunning in Summer and Winter.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I mentioned there are a lot of things to see around Minnesota and also in the Upper Midwest in Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula Michigan. Lake Superior is pretty impressive with rocky shores and forests along with sea caves. Best time to come to this part of the country is when the leaves change.

[​IMG]

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Would you grab a beer with me and the wifey if we come there in December? Colorado seems to be a recurring theme in places I get recommended, and you seem to know it inside out!

Edit: wow, Ouray is beautiful!!!!

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Nice! Would you spend more than a day there?

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

14. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Just curious, but what are some of the other beaches you've been to in the world that has lead you to this conclusion?

15. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I just spent the weekend in Acadia National Park in northern Maine. It was okay, but rather underwhelming. No one in NZ charges $25 to drive through a park.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What conclusion is that? They are underrated?

The islands around Phuket and other Thailand beaches
    Costa Rica
    Cancun
    Cozumel
    The beaches around Sydney Australia
    Nice and Cannes, France

Though I haven't gone to Hawaii myself, several members of my family think the beaches in Florida are more beautiful.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

We can't even get tourists from Mexico.

18. JTQ

JTQ Member

in America?

Macchu Picchu of course :grin:

19. davo

davo Contributing Member

I'm not American, and have traveled my fair share of the world. I can tell you that in my opinion, the USA is an incredible place to visit, with virtually limitless opportunities for tourism.

There is a reason American's don't travel overseas much - they don't have to!

Ugly Americans? Not in my experience - at least they are not outright rude, like in France for instance.....

20. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

If you like the outdoors you can easily spend more than a day there. A couple of years ago I went on a five day backpacking trip along Lake Superior and then a couple of more days of car camping at one of the state parks.