1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What should we do with the 2011 1st Round Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Nov 30, 2010.

?

Trade or Not to Trade

1. Offer pick in trade discussions

38 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. Make the pick off limits

64 vote(s)
    62.7%
  1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The pick appears to be GOLD right now, sadly due to our play and not the Knicks' performance, so what is the best course of action to take with this pick? Should it be used in a trade package as a sweetener or should it be held off limits and used as part of the rebuilding process?

Keep in mind that the chances of landing Melo, Paul or any superstar is pretty small so the player we would be trading for is probably not going to be a superstar. Also keep in mind the upcoming draft is not very good with only a few, if any, players with superstar potential.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

A BIG MAN

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6YzbhAQGPqk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6YzbhAQGPqk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3. Raven

Raven Member

Keep the pick!

4. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Two choices:

We should trade the pick to get rid of one of the contracts of Martin, Scola, Miller or Lowry.

Package the pick with Battier or Jeffries to get under LT.

5. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Package yao and the pick for a star.

6. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Why are you concerned with the luxury tax?

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Kanter is the one guy in the draft that would make me very VERY happy.

8. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

because Les owns this team.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't trade the pick until you determine the direction you're going to go, likely by February. think you can only trade the pick in a deal that brings in a younger, long-term piece. If that pick is in the top 6 my guess is, even in a weaker draft, that it will have good trade value in June. A team (Timberwolves?) might see someone they like in the draft and be willing to shuffle the deck a bit.

10. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

What a fake fan. I hate you.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Honestly I don't think a single one of those players would be hard to move. Maybe Miller, but there's a premium on size and experience.

I certainly don't think it would require us including a potential lottery pick just to get under the luxury tax.

12. AggieRocketsFan

Hopefully Mr. Alexander would choose to have a first round pick over saving money.

It seems as though you and him have a close relationship. Tell him to keep forking over the cash until he brings home a trophy.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If the hypothetical trade is for a non-star, I think the pick is off-limits (unless you put some protections on it). For a new franchise player, obviously nothing is off-limits. Also, I think the pick probably can't be traded without also trading the NY-swap-option (or else voiding it), which makes the pick more valuable to us and to a possible recipient. If NY misses the playoffs, we very roughly double our chances for the #2 or #3 pick, even if NY ends up with a better record than us.

You seem to underestimate the value of both the lotto pick and our players.

14. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

It's his money not mine. Getting under the luxury tax does nothing for the team but save him money. If you wanna get under the cap that's a different story.

15. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Stupid to be answering the question right now...ask again in 2 months. Despite our horrid start, we're still only 3 games from the 8th playoff spot. All its gonna take is an 10-15 game injury from a player on another team to bring us as high as a 6th seed once Yao and AB are back. Sad as it may be because I like Brandon Roy, his career could turn into T-Mac part 2 without the drama at any moment.

This also depends on whether or not the Knicks can continue playing .500 ball. My guess is no.

16. everyday eddie

The Knicks have had one of the softest schedules thus far. On the pick, I say we keep it.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That would be as bad of decision as the Knicks made to get rid of JJ.

IMO we need to keep the pick and look to rebuild.

18. joesr

joesr Member

sounds like the response of a Celtic or Laker fan imo

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

As a fan im not concerned, but you have to put yourself in the eyes of the businessman behind the business. So lets say the Rockets continue losing consistenly and finish the season aligned where they are now in the rankings. First things first....

1. Out with the Old, In with the New
    - Hayes, Battier, Jefferies, & even Yao must be an afterthought. If Yao has one more injury this year I assume he will announce his own retirement. I would say there is about a 40% chance he plays anything more than a short minute role player after this season, and about a 60% chance he retires. If any of these players are resigned next year it has to be because there is a hole in that position and its at the veterans minimum.

2. Work the Free Agency/Trade Market for top talent.
    -The Rockets are very, very dark horses in the market, but stranger things have happened. They have virtually no shot at Melo or CP3 here but some young player might have a breakout year this year and need a change of scenery or want to move to a team that has opportunity. No complementary/role players here are needed. The youth on the squad and resigned minimum veterans will fill this need easily.

3. Work the draft.
    -The Rockets should be able to get 2 players in the first round and one of those picks should be in the top 8 or 9 unless they turn it around in the second half of the season. So far the best talent might be overseas so due your due diligence here Morey and find us a breakout star who will actually be able to find a spot in the rotation. Im not sure about the details on the other pick the Rockets own but I believe it will be a later first rounder. Its been years since the Rockets have drafted an All-Star player but this might just be the year for a new face of the franchise to emerge.

1 person likes this.
  20. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Morey will most likely trade it for a "Shane Battier" type of player.