1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers, Raiders propose to share stadium in Carson, CA

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 19, 2015.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

2. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure there's a benefit to a 3rd team in a city. 2, I can see - you develop some local rivalries, etc. But at some point, you're just losing other markets without much incremental benefit to the city or the NFL. A 3rd team in LA doesn't bring more TV eyeballs there and loses some in whatever city gets left behind. The games will sell out wherever they are, so you're not gaining more people in seats. I'm not sure what the major benefit is to adding a 3rd team while having none in St. Louis or San Diego or whatever.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This whole Chargers/Raiders partnership seems weird to me.

The moment either team secures a new stadium, the other team loses all leverage.

The Raiders are likely going to be left without a dance partner when this is all over.

If the Chargers stay in San Diego, the Raiders will either have to share the 49ers stadium or move to San Antonio if they want change.

No way in hell Kreonke is letting the Raiders into his stadium.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I feel ANY team in LA will inherently be worth more than a team in St. Louis or San Diego.

Overall increases in franchise values help the NFL, and will eventually help the owners. Also, the games do not currently sell out in St. Louis.

But again, I doubt they get "3" teams... to me, the Chargers are the ones most unlikely to be able to move (and if they do move they will still be heavily promoted/shown in the San Diego market, thus still keeping it "their" team by default).

5. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

What's up with the ghost turf at 00:50 mark? Peds walking in knee-deep turf? Someone forget to pay for quality rendering. Typical Raiders, of course.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Los Angeles stadium could bring shift in NFL divisions

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dean likely has nine votes to block Stan. Stan likely has nine votes to block Dean. The NFL will manage the outcome, not put LA to a vote.</p>&mdash; Sam Farmer (@LATimesfarmer) <a href="https://twitter.com/LATimesfarmer/status/633324566979305472">August 17, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm still convinced one of the teams will be the Rams. Still no where close to a stadium deal in STL and Kroenke owns the Hollywood Park land. I think it will ultimately be the Rams and one of the Chargers OR Raiders...and I'd lean towards the Chargers.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The AFC West has stayed the same for over 50 years when it was created in the AFL. Would be a shame to change that.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Except for when Seattle was in the AFC West.

They could move them back there for some consistency (with one of the AFC West teams likely having to go to the NFC if they are sharing the stadium).

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Rams LA stadium has already begun construction in Inglewood.

My new prediction is that since the Rams called dibs on LA, the Raiders must settle for San Antonio. I do not see Oakland paying for a new stadium. The Chargers will get a new stadium in SD.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

LA is still a better option for the Raiders than San Antonio (and the overall goal for the NFL is to have two teams there, regardless of shared stadiums or not).

Too many NFL owners see how much more depleted the franchise values are in smaller cities (Nashville, Jacksonville, St. Louis), and then add the Cowboys factor... and it will be very tough for San Antonio to garner enough support (unless its a last resort).

But hell... they could always build another useless Alamodome and pray that somebody will come use it.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It's official: The San Diego Chargers have filed for relocation to Los Angeles.</p>&mdash; Michael Gehlken (@UTgehlken) <a href="https://twitter.com/UTgehlken/status/684210160848392194">January 5, 2016</a></blockquote>

13. Buck Turgidson

As long as they don't change those helmets, 'cause those helmets are baaaad ass.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chargers?src=hash">#Chargers</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rams?src=hash">#Rams</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Raiders?src=hash">#Raiders</a> have filed for relocation.</p>&mdash; UTKevinAcee (@UTKevinAcee) <a href="https://twitter.com/UTKevinAcee/status/684212160340180992">January 5, 2016</a></blockquote>

15. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

From no team to as many as three calling dibs on the city is f LA.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why do I get the sinking feeling the Texans are somehow going to be involved and moved to the NFC West?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ha, that's funny.

If realignment is needed, they'd probably keep it amongst the teams in each western division. Raiders/49ers still have somewhat of a natural rivalry... hell, the Saints also used to be in the NFC west, and still have long-standing ties to the Rams and 49ers (much like Houston fans have rivalry ties to Pittsburgh/Cleveland).

But, unlike the Astros... if the Texans have to move (which is highly unlikely), it won't be that drastic. The Tennessee "rivalry" has fizzled out due to their incompetence, Jacksonville is a joke, and Indy probably still misses their AFC East foes more than they'd miss playing the Texans.

18. Buck Turgidson

Dallas in the East kills any logical realignment.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep.

There are certain divisions that are basically untouchable as is... and one of them is the NFC East.

AFC North is also pretty set along with the NFC North (the old central divisions).

The AFC West has some heated rivalries... and would be great if they didn't have to mess with it. Kansas City being in the west makes no geographical sense, but they're entrenched due to their long-term rivalries.

The South divisions are the "new" divisions in both conferences... filled with teams that either don't have any long-term ties to any particular division, and minus Indy... they actually do make geographical sense.

Honestly, the divisions are perfect as is... hopefully they minimize as much realignment as possible.

20. Buck Turgidson

The dirty south division: NO, Houston, Atlanta, J-ville