1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, like I said somewhere earlier, Singleton is basically back to where he was at the start of last year... needs to prove himself all over again (except he's got a few more $$$ in the bank).

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Pretty much went with the guys who earned it. Moving Singleton to AAA is surprising, but absolutely the right move. Even in AAA last year, he had actually gotten off to a hot start, but had started to cool before getting called up. And he's been bad in the majors and spring training.

AJ Hinch can now set the roster up for the best results with Marisnick able to start and Gattis likely at DH instead of LF.

Woj gets more time to compete for a permanent spot in the rotation.

3. juicystream

Team still needs to make additional 40-man roster move.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm surprised about Singleton but it makes sense. There was really no other logical way to get Carter and Gattis the ab's. If Carter proves the 2nd half of 2014 was no fluke and plays a decent 1B, Singleton becomes great trade bait should Luhnow need to add something to the major league roster later this season.

Very happy to see Wojo make the team. I was already planning on going to that Thursday day game against the Indians next week. Now my kids will get to see a guy they saw play against Round Rock play for the Astros.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Singleton to AAA was definitely a surprise to me. I had not expected that. Seemed like he had more or less proven he could hit AAA pitching and was just struggling with the majors. I don't know if sending him down is really going to help him unless there is just something specific they want to work with him on and it can happen in the minors so he's not K-ing every other AB for the major league team.

#385 RunninRaven, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I doubt Singleton has much trade value at this point. I'm sure we could get something for him, but at this point it wouldn't be a lot. I would think it would be better to keep him and just hope he can turn it around instead of just cashing out for scraps.

7. leroy

If he goes down and mashes, along with having a friendly contract, he does have value.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Astros rotation: Keuchel, Feldman, Wojciechowski, McHugh and Hernandez</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart ⚾️ (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/583271806167064576">April 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What about his contract right now is "friendly"?

And even if he starts producing, and the Astros trade him, I bet they'll be on the hook for a lot of that.

Between the money being paid Singleton (in AAA), along with what was paid Pressley to be DFA'd, that's some pretty good dead money that Crane could be lining his pockets with! (j/k... but the "Crane is cheap" rhetoric has certainly died down enough for now).

10. juicystream

The fact that he is only owed $8.5M, which isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. Teams would certainly take that risk spread out over the next 4 years.

11. leroy

And avoiding arbitration should he blow up in the majors during that time. What about it would be unfriendly?

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure, if it was just the contract by itself... but remember, the team is also expected to be giving up some other "assets" as well.

That + a guaranteed contract based on expected production is why I feel if he is traded, the Astros end up paying that money if they want to get anything of value for him.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again, he needs to "blow up" for it to really work out.

As of now, its not going to be a reason why teams trade for him.

14. juicystream

Teams are willing to pay millions upon millions to amateur players. I don't think his value has diminished enough to where you basically get nothing back. His value is definitely down from the time of extension.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If Wojo can pitch relatively close to how he did in the Spring, then the team should jump their win total up another 5-8 games.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not if they had both a substance abuse history, questionable work ethic, and actual MLB experience where they failed.

Anyways, the original point was that if the Astros do want to get value for him, they're going to likely have to pay him the majority of his contract. No team is going to take a "chance" on him, give up valuable assets, AND pay him $9 million.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did McHugh have a bit of a rough spring, or is it not meaningful that he has been give the #4 starter slot?

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think it means anything... and he is pitching the first road game (which will be a sell-out as its the Rangers home opener), so perhaps that was part of the decision making.

19. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Singleton is only 23, still plenty of time for him to find his groove in the majors. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'd be surprised if they traded him this year; he simply has too much potential and they wouldn't get much for him now. Not surprised he was sent down. He'll be brought up as soon as Carter or Gattis hits a slump.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed, they won't sell him low... but he has had a disappointing beginning to his career.

He probably should have been sent down at some point last season.