1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Mechanized Warfare against U.S. Citizens on Domestic Soil?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In - THERE IS ALWAYS A GOOD REASON TO DO A BAD THING - News

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...e-first-time-police-used-a-bomb-robot-to-kill

Is this any different than using a Drone? If so, how?
    Is this our gateway to using Drones?
    Are we comfortable with the idea of using Drones domestically now?

I am sure there are some very good reason to use drones here . . .but should we?

Rocket River

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I know, it's tragic that your hero was killed by the racist cops. Let's march on Washington.

1 person likes this.
  3. Exiled

Exiled Member

I thought you 'd say something like : every citizen has the right to own bomb robot & drones ...but meh you are totally unpredictable :)

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bobby needs a hug.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I honestly do not see a problem with this.

7. CometsWin

It's a real slippery slope actually. Police power knows no boundaries, they'll take and take until it's too late for all of us.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

OK.
    Would you have a problem with the police using drones to drop bombs on .. .say drug houses? Cults?

Would you have a problem with police using Drones with super res cameras and mikes to spy on 'criminals'?

Rocket River

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good Question: If I have the right to bear arms . .. . could that include my right to have an armed drone?

Rocket River

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Maybe this is actually a good thing. Using machine to do an officer's job removes the coward element where an officer fires 20 rounds into you because you flinched.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Is it really any different than drones? No not in any really substantive way that I can think of. I am mostly surprised it has taken this long for them to use robots to kill unsuccessfully negotiated surrenders by spree killers/terrorist.

In a vaccum I would have no issue with. The problem is that I do not have the kind of confidence in police forces that I had years ago. I think it is inevitable. So I can't really give you a definitive answer. I think some police officers need to stop dehumanizing citizens, especially poor and/or black males. I know statistics show black males with a gun are more likely to shoot an officer than the rest of the population under the same circumstances, so I understand fear...But killing black men for any movement? That is murder and it has happened entirely too often.

1 person likes this.
  12. CometsWin

Until super duper AI there'll always be a cop controlling the machine so I suppose you remove some of the immediacy of fear and stupidity but not altogether I'd say.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's no different than using a drone.

Whether this is a slippery slope to something terrible ("militarization of police", etc) is TBD.

14. Duncan McDonuts

That's a far way aways from what Dallas PD did. They used a remote controlled bomb drone to neutralize a significant threat who supposedly fortified himself behind explosives, making any manned siege dangerous. They tried negotiating with him for hours and that went nowhere. Johnson would not surrender peacefully and had every intention of taking down more law enforcement with him. Dallas PD neutralized the threat with little collateral damage and with no further risk to officer's safety.

It's nowhere near the same as using a UAV and dropping a bomb on the garage.

1 person likes this.
  15. CometsWin

They used a robot to blow a man up and kill him. Don't soft pedal it.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As stated . . there is always a GOOD REASON to do a bad thing

Rocket River

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean would it be more 'humane' to shoot him then? He was armed and murdered multiple people. Neutralizing the threat at that point is the most important thing.

18. Duncan McDonuts

I'm not. Would you rather the police risk their lives bum rushing into a potential trap? Johnson said he had explosives placed everywhere.

19. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I'm all for giving police officers more weapons. It's a jungle out there full of animals!

20. Duncan McDonuts

The terrorist just killed 5 officers and wounded 7 others. How exactly do you solve the problem with a "good thing"?

1 person likes this.