1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Daily News]: Leave Dwight Howard alone! The Hawks got a steal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wow, NYDN showing Dwight some lovin' . . . looks like Dwert still has some supporters outside of Houston.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/leave-dwight-howard-hawks-steal-article-1.2697026

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is a case of looking up stats and drawing (erroneous) assumptions and conclusions. our PG's and ariza could not get the ball to dwight in his sweet spots -- this much is certainly true. plus the 3pt offense dictated from above, dwights turnovers, hack-a-dwight, and league rules allowing double teams at any time have also made dwight more obsolete down low. to cite only harden as the main culprit here is just stupid/lazy journalism.

1 person likes this.
  3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

How this person has a paid job being a journalist is beyond stupid.

He obviously did not watch one minute of Houston Rockets basketball.

Harden is Option 1 and 2 because he needs to be. He's also Option 3,4,5,6, and 7 before it gets to 'Ariza as the second option'

You think he's take a minute out of writing this nonsense to ponder why did Dwight 'the magnificent offensive 62% machine' get less than half the touches of Harden?

Jesus christ.

4. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Maybe the Dwight hating narrative is switched to a Houston hating narrative

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

I can't wait until the same author of the article writes about how Howard is hurting ATL with his post-play.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'm a big Dwight supporter, but it's way too easy to stop the offense when you can foul him 15 times a game and get little or nothing out of it.

( I hope Capela spends all Summer shooting 1000 a day)

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Dwight will steal the Hawk's mojo

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

WTF why is everyone bad mouthing Howard? He's not perfect but apart from last year he has been extremely productive for the team when he got to play. His deal is actually extremely reasonable, just 3M more than what we're paying Ryan Anderson and LESS than Mike Conley and Parsons are getting. Think about that, Howard signed for less than Conley and Parsons. And it's at a very reasonable 3 years so when he's 33 you can sign him to a much cheaper deal. Honestly if I knew we couldn't do better than Anderson at 20M for 4 years I would have just given it to Howard for 23M at 3 years. The shorter contract really works out for them because then you get his bird rights and sign for cheap for the last stretch of his career. You can probably end up renewing his contract for the same amount as the remaining years in Parsons and definitely Conley

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Literally not one person in this thread has bad mouthed Howard.

10. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Someone didn't watch Dwight play last season...

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This guy has no idea. I can't wait for reality to kick in over there. The Hawks downgraded.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well... there are 150 starters in the NBA which would put him in about the 72nd percentile among starters.

My point here is that "non option" is just cute exaggeration.

13. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Thank god Howard gone. His attitudes on this team was so negative.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is the same thing that happens no matter where Dwight goes. I'm surprised you guys don't recognize the patterns I'm sure some of his baby mommas can tell you about Dwight's patterns of disappointment and betrayal. This the new city hyping Dwight and blaming the old city, just like we did to LA, just like LA did to Orlando. Dwight talks a lot of **** and acts innocent and they want their team to win, of course they believe everything he says. Its like a new baby momma believing Dwight will marry her because she's special and the old ones were just mean b****es to Dwight.

15. basketballholic

.......yeah.....Brewer and Ariza jacking was soooooooooo much better for us.

Last season was a joke. The palpable dysfunction between Harden and Howard goes beyond simply Howard being a terrible post up option. Howard was ignored on offense even when he pinned his man under the net.

I'm not a huge Dwight Howard fan myself. But I could've gotten him an extra 3 dunks a game myself on only 3 possessions. He's too big and powerful and athletic even in his diminished capacity to not lob it up to him for multiple flushes a game, much less simply finding him with the defense on his back at the rim. The plays were there. We ignored him. It was intentional. And he will look like he's 26 again taking passes from Schroder over the top and underneath when he has his man pinned deep.

He'll probably average 17/12 and be ridiculous on the defensive end. He can still play.

#15 basketballholic, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  16. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Dwight has sweet spots? He is the easiest guard in the NBA. Foul him. Done.

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

You got that backwards. He'd be in the 28th percentile if 108/150 starters got more shots than him.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

His only sweet spot last year was uncontested dunk. He struggled to make 1 foot hook shots.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Don't forget, it's 8.5 shots on a team that actually takes a lot of shots.

As a % of his team's possessions/shots I'm sure the numbers are even more ridiculous.

Dwight was a declining player with bad habits in the post, and poor production in the post. He's on and off with motivation, especially last season, but he's always motivated when he gets a low amount of shots, as long as it's not as low as 8 shots. He's also a good defender, rebounder and efficient scorer at the basket. He generates 10 fouls per game against the other team, and then misses 6 of them.

That description right there is why a player like Dwight should take 10-15 shots. There is no rational explanation for why he wasn't given more touches on a team that couldn't find answers all season and desperately needed a motivated Dwight to change the tide.

I'm guessing the team became prideful and started isolating him and then of course when the org and the star player isolate someone, the other players will move away from him too to protect their jobs. It was over, and Dwight is certainly to blame for a lot of it, but we could have done a better job to get more out of that $20m than we did.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hey guys, Andrew Bogut shot 62% last year, on a mere 4 fgas a game

Can't believe the Warriors froze him out like that. Maybe they would be champions if not for their selfish wing players.