1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[PC Culture] NJ Elementary School Calls Cops On Third-Grader For Saying ‘Brownie’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Jun 30, 2016.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/29/n...alls-cops-on-third-grader-for-saying-brownie/

Welcome to leftist America where crap like this is the norm.

2. Cranberry_Juice

Would a legal counsel onsite for every school diffuse some of these situations?

3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Common sense would. Stupid teacher.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is it really the norm or are you speaking out of your ass? If I posted multiple stories of Muslims being harassed does that merit me stating "America has un rampant with Islamaphobia?"

I mean it seems like the only justification for your premature accusation of America are **** little anecdote stories that you can count with your fingers and toes and somehow this is a rampant problem of America?

This is the problem with the internet and media in general today. Problems have a larger perception of being a rampant issue because every small story from any hickville town across the globe can be read by anyone around the globe.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Rocketslegend of course more concerned with white people being called racist than the actual issue of a police intimidating minors.

If he were actually concerned with the latter than we'd have seen him in other threads about that issue...

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Article doesn't provide any clarity on whether brownie was used in a racist way or not. Obviously, having the police come to handle even the most vile racist epithet out of a third grader sounds pretty dumb. But, I don't see how this is an anecdote about PC culture when it's not clear whether something racist was said or not. I think most people (though maybe not OP) can agree that actual racist expression by third graders should be discouraged by the elementary school. If you can't find a way to leverage the presence of brownies to make hateful remarks about blacks or hispanics, than you lack imagination. I don't know if he did, but I imagine how he could.

But, if this is a public school, why in the world are they serving brownies? Are they trying to murder our children with sugar?!??!?!11

Lol, they can't even afford nurses.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Lol, always chuckle at what right wing cultural warriors trot out as important talking points. Case in point, we have a kid who makes a comment which may or may not have been racist (who knows from little was reported here). The article quickly launches into a broader and even less focused discussion on police at school. And all this is a criticism of leftist America.

I find the war on Christianity far more compelling...

8. likestohypeguy

Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Clutch fans lost their **** when someone was kicked off a plane for talking about martyrdom in Arabic. Cops called on third grader for potentially misunderstood comments: grounds for jokes and attacks on the "right".

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Saying racist things isn't criminal, so the police should never have shown up. Stupid.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If this is real, particular teacher and school admin making the decision to call in cop shouldn't be in those job.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya, think we all agree on that. I think Rocketslegend was expecting us 'libtards' to defend the calling of the cops here.

#12 fchowd0311, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He would have been immediatley expelled if he chewed the brownie into the shape of a gun.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The great zero tolerance system. Who is still for that?

15. Buck Turgidson

This story sounded ridiculous so I did a little reading...

The incident, which has sparked outrage among some parents, was one of several in the last month when Collingswood police have been called to look into school incidents that parents think hardly merit criminal investigation.

Superintendent Scott Oswald estimated that on some occasions over the last month, officers may have been called to as many as five incidents per day in the district of 1,875 students.

This has created concern among parents in the 14,000-resident borough, who have phoned their elected officials, met with Mayor James Maley, blasted social-media message boards, and even launched a petition calling on the Camden County Prosecutor's Office to "stop mandated criminal investigation of elementary school students."

The increased police involvement follows a May 25 meeting among the Collingswood Police Department, school officials, and representatives from the Camden County Prosecutor's Office, where school officials and police both said they were told to report to police any incidents that could be considered criminal, including what Police Chief Kevin Carey called anything "as minor as a simple name-calling incident that the school would typically handle internally."

The police and schools were also advised that they should report "just about every incident" to the New Jersey Division of Child Protection and Permanency, Carey said.

Previously, the school district, following the state's Memorandum of Agreement Between Education and Law Enforcement Officials, had only reported incidents it deemed serious, like those involving weapons, drugs, or sexual misconduct. Both Carey and School Board President David Routzahn described the protocol set forth after that May meeting as a significant change in procedure.

"It was a pretty clear directive that we questioned vehemently," Oswald said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/educat...o_a_South_Jersey_third_grade_class_party.html

And who runs the Camden County Prosecutor's Office, you ask?

Mary E. Colalillo was appointed Camden County Prosecutor by Governor Chris Christie in June 2014.

http://camdencountypros.org/staff/

1 person likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

^^ Surprise, there was more to the story. Big left wing PC culture war... SMH.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've reported your racist post to the Admin.

;)

They went overboard in both cases.

I agree with can all agree with RL that having the police handle the matter sounds grossly inappropriate. It's not clear from the article, but I hope the officer was not questioning the boy without his mother present.

Thanks for bringing the context. That article, though, makes me wonder if there's even more to the story on what prompted the prosecutor's office to ask something so unusual of the school district. Did something happen in Camden schools that went under-reported before?

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Teacher should be arrested for wasting the police's time, and instead do her freaking job.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Given the context Buck Turgidson provided - no. But this is a general problem of taking decision and responsibility out of the hand of teacher and school admin. Zero tolerance and such are too dumb.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I too and SHOCKED that there was actually more to this story than originally "reported"..................