1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BS Report; Chad Ford guest, high praise for Isaiah Canaan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Beard

Beard Member

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=9464387

Starts around 23 mins. Also lot of T Rob talk before that.

Basically they both think he is great, ready to play immediately, Chad Ford thinks he will replace Lin in a year or two

bummer he is hurt for summer league, would have loved to see him

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I doubt he will ever be a starting point guard. I don't think he has the passing, or court vision for that job. I think his ceiling is a 6th man kind of player

3. AFS

AFS Member

Agreed. He would also have to seriously work on his defense. He has length, but he's still short. His jumpshot is absolutely amazing though.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

How much court vision did kenny smith, ron harper, steve kerr, and derek fisher have.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I forgot john paxson.

6. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Before the season, he was pretty much equal to McCollum as mid-major scoring PGs. McCollum had more size, Canaan was quicker, but both were fantastic shooters and shot-creators.

McCollum's stock rose, while Canaan was kind of forgotten about, amongst the top players at his position. I think he's a steal regardless.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can't say I've watched him play much but there is a lot to like about him. I'm cautiously optimistic that he can be a significant player down the road

8. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

A lot of guys such thought Lillard before he boast in NBA

9. Nook

Nook Member

His court vision is fine in the modern NBA.

Defensively he will surprise people. He is short but strong with a low center of gravity.

He isn't an elite finisher but can get to the rim and hit three pointers. If he doesn't turn the ball over and learns the offense, he has a chance to have a long productive career.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Certainly has potential, but we've seen our fair shares of guys with potential struggle in the NBA. Having a 3 point shot will serve him well, though.

11. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

to be fair, Machado got the same hype last year

12. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

And a lot of that was self-hype too... Lol

13. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

Beverly is our future starting point imo

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If he can be a pest on defense and his 3pt shot comes as advertised, he could be the perfect point guard next to Harden. After all, Harden is the player that typically handles the ball on offense.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Except that this Rockets team is not built around a traditional point guard. We've got two guards in Harden and Lin that are both more like combo guards.

16. dustinb14

dustinb14 Member

I can't wait for you guys to get a chance to see Isaiah perform. Whenever that may be.

17. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

But those guys are actually very good passers

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Not from Morey. We were apparently on pins and needles hoping Canaan fell to us at the top of the 2nd round. Machado went undrafted.

19. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

I'm going to adopt a wait and see attitude with him.

Remember last summer league with all the hype surrounding Royce White, Jeremy Lamb, etc?

Morey's PG selection has been a mixed bag. He's picked out some good ones others undervalued at the time he got them (Brooks, Lowry, Dragic, Lin from GSW). But he's also had his share of mediocre PGs pass through Houston (Toney Douglas). As well as underwhelming guys he gambled on and lost his wagers on (Flynn, Machado).

Time will tell. I'd rather not buy into the hype only to have it turn into a Machado. Better to wait and give him time to adjust to the NBA game first before judging him. For many rookies, the NBA is a difficult transition because they're playing against bigger and more athletic guys than they're used to seeing in college. And it takes a while for the game to slow down for them. It would be unfair to judge him so quickly before he gets a chance to adjust.

I think he should be more than serviceable as a rookie filling in the 3rd string PG spot right now as injury insurance. Let him work out with the Vipers. The Vipers will sort the Royce Whites/Machados from the Greg Smiths/TJones.

Of course, if he starts averaging triple doubles with the Vipers like Jeremy Lin did in his only D-League game with the Knicks, you recall him immediately and put him into the rotation.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Exactly. So playing Canaan at the same time either of them is on the floor isn't going to lead to doom and destruction.