1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Houston Dynamo / MLS Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 11, 2014.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Jay Heaps had no "real" coaching experience and wasn't even close to being as proven coaching wise as Barrett or Dalglish. Same with Benny Olsen.
    I think it's the in-thing in World Football over the last few years(and lately the NBA) to just give recently retired players a head coaching job w/o requiring any coaching experience. Meh.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Jay's team has lost more than it has won. :eek:

You don't want to "bring a guy up" with an unestablished core like this. Maybe if we were a new franchise, I'd welcome someone without experience, but... heck even Corey Ashe played with Barrett... wouldn't that be some weird stuff? Unheard of in FOOTBALL or in BASKETBALL... in baseball even less.

Bring in someone with experience.

3. ferrari77

Are you talking about this season or overall while he has been at the helm? Can't be this season because obvy they had a winning record.
    You speak of the Dynamo core like it's something special. Isn't it basically Brad Davis, Ricardo Clark(maybe Boniek, Kofi and Bruin?)
    There's nothing special there and like I mentioned it seems most teams are open more and more to the possibility of hiring unexperienced coaches in both Soccer and Basketball.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think there is anyone on this roster that should be safe. That includes Beasley, Davis, Boniek, etc. IMO, there is no one on this roster that isn't replaceable. Davis is a nice player and a good leader but he is not a guy that can carry a team throughout an entire season. Bruin is trash. DMB is injury prone and on the wrong side of 30. I have never been a fan of Rico. For me, the only redeeming thing he's done in his career is that time he kicked Carlos Ruiz in the head.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Umm. Jason Kidd. Fresh out of retirement, and then coached the nets.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Barnes is the guy to build around right now out of anyone on the roster

But I think Barnes, Davis, Boniek, Beasley, Kofi and maybe Rico if he actually goes back to a more defensive position (he just isn't good enough to justify having him in the attack so much), is a decent enough start to have a competitive team this season. They definitely need to dump Bruin and every center back on the roster. I'm also not sold on Deric.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Barnes isn't any better than the rest of the guys that you mentioned.

Some positions need more help than others (CD, AM, FW) but overall I think that nobody should be safe.

8. Beavis Stiffler

More news and info on the possible Dynamo USL team in RGV

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/rio_grande_valley_vipers/new-stadium-coming-if-dynamo-places-team-in-rgv/article_f0421e6e-6167-11e4-a995-001a4bcf6878.html#.VF03NuOFXQJ.twitter

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Eric Brunner retired today

can't believe he played as long as he did in the MLS, he was god awful

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Dynamo pick up options on Alex, jermaine Taylor and Will Bruin among some more obvious ones

They dump Omar Cummings, Brian Owenby, Andrew Driver, Anthony arena and Bryan Salazar

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dynamo sign Memo Rodriguez to homegrown contract

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Owen Coyle is primed to be the Dynamo's new coach barring a breakdown in negotiations. Check out our Story on <a href="http://t.co/nAwwXN11Qy">http://t.co/nAwwXN11Qy</a>.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/540709457584750593">December 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Interesting choice in Coyle. Wonder if he could convince Stu Holden to come home once he's healthy.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

exactly what I was thinking

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

another scottish reject...

15. ferrari77

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>RE: Coyle reports, have been told he has not signed an agreement and talks are ongoing today. Tuesday announcement is/has been a possibility</p>&mdash; Darrell Lovell (@DarrellLovell) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrellLovell/status/541989761729052672">December 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Blah. I do not like this move. I can't think of the last foreign coach/manager in MLS to go far. Hans Backe maybe. Usually the foreign ones that have success already have extensive MLS knowledge or knowledge of the US Soccer environment already.
    I would imagine(and hope) Matt Jordan is on board with this and this isn't just a Canetti move(although that wouldn't be surprising) because when a foreign manager comes in, it's best if he is on the same wavelength as the GM/Technical director and if the foreign manager can leave his ego overseas otherwise it becomes a problem quickly.

16. ferrari77

I believe Stu will play for LAFC at some point after he returns from his European career(whenever he picks that up again).
    I'd put the Dynamo second on the list and Columbus Crew at 3rd. All 3 are places he has an affinity for but obvy the Dynamo connection is high since he already played for the team.

Hopefully Coyle doesn't try to bring in his old Bolton players-Ricardo Gardner, Matt Taylor, etc.

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I'd be surprised if he came back to MLS and played for anybody but Houston.

Do you know anything about Samuel Inkoom?

18. ferrari77

Don't be too surprised. Los Angeles does things to people and makes them feel "some type of way"(The ones that can afford to live next to the beach and not in the valley). I figure Columbus would be in because of family and definitely Houston but the lure of LA man, don't discount it.

Inkoom, meh. Didn't play much for DC if at all when he came in later in the season. I never thought he was a dynamic player with Ghana in the past. He's nothing special, he can get up the wing and provide width from RB but defending is nothing special. I figure he will be cover on the right but has Sarkodie signed an extension yet?

19. Beavis Stiffler