1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To be considered a "Superstar" does your team have to make the playoffs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by munco, Dec 26, 2012.

?

To be considered a "Superstar" does your team have to make the playoffs?

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. munco

munco Member

I remember people would question if you were a true superstar if you couldn't lead your team out of the first round of the playoffs (see T-Mac).

But what if your team doesn't even make the playoffs? Most people consider Kevin Love a superstar, but last year the T-Wolves missed the playoffs. Carmelo Anthony was well on his way to missing the playoffs until Linsanity happened last year.

Lebron is obviously a superstar and would be able to take any team to the playoffs, but I'm not so sure about some of the other "superstars" in the league.

So back to the poll question. To be a superstar does your team have to make the playoffs?

2. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Not necessarily, no.

3. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Nope. The word has less to do with production or team success and more to do with how successfully a player is able to sell you sugar water and shoes. Harsh realities itt

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

No. If Lebron played with a bunch of Clutchfans, he wouldn't make the playoffs. It's a team sport.

5. munco

munco Member

It's interesting seeing that no's have more votes. I actually voted no myself, but I think it represents a changing of the times. I think in the '80s you would not dare call a player a superstar if his team didn't make the playoffs. Probably even the '90s too. Can you imagine a prime Jordan, Magic, Bird, Barkley, Malone, etc. not making the playoffs?

6. VBG

VBG Member

I think to be a superstar you generally have to make the playoffs. There are exceptions like KG in Minnesota though.

7. supdudes

supdudes Member

No. However, with that said....

John Wall is a semi-star at best.

Overrated from day one.

8. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

KG made the playoffs in Minnesota!

9. munco

munco Member

What if he played on the Wizards? I bet he takes them to the playoffs.

10. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Sure. LeBron James and a bunch of rec league ballers could make the playoffs, provided their team plays in the East.

I'd use the Cleveland Cavaliers as proof of this, but comparing people to Donyell Marshall and Boobie Gibson is mad insulting.

11. Viola

Viola Member

NBA is not Clutchfans...

12. Optimal6

Optimal6 Member

Kobe missed the playoffs with the Lakers in 2005
    KG missed the playoffs with the Wolves in 2005-2007

It's a team game. Generally speaking, superstars make it to the playoffs because they are usually on great teams but that's not always the case.

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Calderon / Udrih
    Joe Johnson / Ray Allen
    Maggette / Turkoglu
    LeBron / Tyrus Thomas
    Biedrins

Not a playoff team, still a superstar.

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I agree with this for young players.

I think Kyrie Irving is close to a superstar, and the Cavs will likely miss it.

It usually comes down to how much value do you bring. Without Kyrie, the Cavs would be competing w/ the Wiz for worst team in the NBA, so in his case a lot of value.

I think Harden is proving he is close to, if not a superstar, and there is no guarantee the Rockets will win the title.

Once you get to a certain point in your career, for Lebron it was like 3 seasons, for a normal human being it's probably more than 5ish years, you should be consistently making the playoffs barring injuries.

With a >50% chance to make the playoffs in the NBA, 1 superstar player w/ some experience alone should be able to will his team to @ least the 8th spot in either conference.

The only exceptions are cases like KG in minny, Love in minny, and other PFs who aren't the primary ball handler. If you don't control the ball and the game, it is REALLY HARD to will your team to wins late in games.

There is a reason OKC got leaps and bounds better the more Durant learns how to handle the ball late in the game without relying on Westbrook.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not his last 3 years there. Did he just stop being a superstar until he was traded to Boston and then all of a sudden become a superstar again?

1 person likes this.
  16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

That's a playoff team in the east!

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

I thought media hype makes superstars.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No. Because Kareem Abdul-Jabbar missed the playoffs two years in a row,

and

apparently

No one remembers that except the movie Airplane. I think this fact that Airplane recites this fact is the definition of Irony.

19. New Generation

If Kobe Bryant or MJ put up the exact same stats that they did before, but didn't make the playoffs, would you reconsider their skills? What would you call them? "Role players"? Yes, if they do put up those numbers, there's a good chance their team would head to the playoffs, but that possibility shouldn't take away from their PERSONAL achievements that define them as a superstar.

Remember the word is "superSTAR" not "superGALAXY". It's based on one's performance, not their team's success.

20. jvu

jvu Member

Stars don't make playoffs, superstars do.