1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CHRON: McGrady's return May Send Francis to Bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Nov. 19, 2007, 11:21PM
    ROCKETS SUMMARY

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The Francis question

Tracy McGrady's return to the court Wednesday against Dallas could lead to Steve Francis' return to the bench.

Rockets coach Rick Adelman said Monday that he does not plan changes to his rotation, calling Francis' first playing time of the season Saturday "a one-game situation."

"I don't think there's anything different," Adelman said. "It's not a problem with our rotation. It's just a problem with how we're playing as a team. I don't have any plans to change that right now.

"It's a one-game situation. He (Francis) played and I thought he did fine the other night. If you're going to make a change like that and incorporate somebody into the rotation that hasn't been in there, you need to have to decide who it is you're taking out because they didn't give me 20 more minutes to deal with.

"That's the bottom line. I think you have to be real fair and be sure when you make a decision like that.

"Losing four in a row ... you might make changes, but you have to remember you didn't have Tracy for 2 1/2 games in that losing streak. I think I have to be more patient than that."

Francis made three of 11 shots, scoring eight points with two assists.

Yao frustrated
    Rockets center Yao Ming met with coach Rick Adelman after Monday's practice and without sharing anything from their conversation, sounded frustrated with his play in the losses to the Suns and Spurs.

"Particularly, the last two games, I didn't play my game," Yao said. "In San Antonio, I didn't get the ball because of the fronting defense and against Phoenix because of their speed and my foul troubles. It took me out of the game. I was gone, like I never went to the game.

"I just (have to) work (to get) my game back."

But Adelman described Yao's struggles as team problems.

"There is a combination of factors," Adelman said. "Without Tracy (McGrady) in the game, they really concentrate on taking him (Yao) out of the game. They're fronting him every time, they're doubling every time he touched it."

Rockets Summary

2. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

3. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Give Steve more time. If the play of Rafer is as bad as some think it is(and from my PoV the only thing he is doing wrong is missing the open 3 too much), Adelman doesnt seem to agree with them. I think Adelman may be wanting more from that spot, but Steve's positives dont outweigh the negatives that would be introduced. Also, it will be doubly tough for Steve since he is technically in line to replace the starter(since it makes most sense to have James come off the bench) because the backup is solid in what Adelman wants.

4. pli777

pli777 Member

I don't think its fair to say Rick is as stuborn as JVG was just yet since we are only 11 games into the season and Francis did see some game time. Though I don't know if all coaches are like that in the NBA, when your point guard is stinking it up that badly. A change wouldn't hurt, you don't have to bench rafer, but at least give a small portion of his minutes to SF. Who could possibly play worse than him at this point.

5. kwng

kwng Member

Patience? 5 games .. still refuse to change .. there is not need to take someone out for the game .. just 10-15 min of PT reduction when it is not right or when we starting to fall behind ..

6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

You dont get it I guess, because that 10-15 min of playtime IS taking someone out of the game, be it Rafer, James, or Head.

7. kwng

kwng Member

I can see Dallas will try to take Yao out tonight and Tmac hand is bothering him causing him to have an off night, we'll be in trouble.

8. kwng

kwng Member

Can't that 10-15 min be distributed. No doubt it is like taking someone out
    mathematically but I don't see why practically all four guys can get PT.
    For example, assuming normally Rafer (25min), James (23 min) and Head (15 min) but when they are losing their focus anytime throughout the game,
    Rafer (20min), James (18min) and Head (10 min) that means Francis can play at times as PG or SG getting a total of 5+5+5 = 15 min.

There is only need to take someone out if coach is sticking 8-9 man rotation
    i.e. I won't play more than 8-9 different guys (in this case, for 9 man rotation the bench would be James, Hayes, Bonzi and maybe Deke).

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It is tough to do the right thing.

But Adelman is a strong man who will not cater to the whims of fickle fans.

I believe in you, Rick.

10. battousai

battousai Member

we need to trade. only trade will resolve SF's problem.

Alston, synder, or head.

I was hoping head would become like kevin martin but he is becoming more and more like a spot up shooter.

morey get a trade deal done, now!

11. blastaway

blastaway Member

I think Rick Adelman just doesn't get it. MOST of Houston Rockets fans KNOW that Rafer Alston is not the answer for us at point guard and that he SUCKS! We would rather see Matt Maloney come back. (Okay..that's a big exaggeration, but you get my point)

Rick asks who is to be replaced? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    Rafer needs to be completely replaced...BENCHED FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR! I would rather see Aaron Brooks starting if Rick really has something against Steve.

Just watch tonight, Devin Harris and Jason Terry are gonna eat Rafer lunch, and Mike will only do a little better than that defensively on them. Hopefully Mike can have a good offensive game to offset some of their point guards scoring.

If Rick Adelman doesn't change his starting lineup, the fans will ask for his head about 20 games in.

12. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

this is what i've been saying all along. we arent changing the rotation anytime soon. rafer will still be starting, and francis will go back to the bench once t-mac is back.

13. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

also i'm REALLY proud of adelman. the guy knows how to coach and knows what players give him the best chance to win. he hasnt felt pressured by the millions of francis fans here. :D

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I can't disagree, it is still early. But if Alston continues his horrid shooting, I don't see why RA wouldn't make a change. If I had it may way, Francis would be seeing some time so he get can get back in his groove and be able to really contribute. In Steve's first game, he has played as well as Skip did so far this season.

15. Pringles

Pringles Member

rick is confusing me.

he is either

(1) too nice... too nice that playing rafer is the number one option.

or

(2) stubborn. not stubborn as jvg. but still stubborn.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

(3) smart and doing the right ting.

17. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

yea and we all know the fans are aways right :rolleyes:

18. kwng

kwng Member

If we win, Rafer will stay in rotation longer and will continue to stay if we win more. Winning games like those against Bobcats secure Rafer in rotation longer but actually these games provide a deception on the reality of Rafer's weakness. Hence, when come playoff, it will be fully exposed and changing rotation then will be too late and disruptive. That is why strongly hope that Francis get some PT in a 9-10 man rotation so that when Rafer's weakness is exposed we can change the combination without significant disruption and the bench players (francis or brook) are well-prepared.

19. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

hopefully we can trade francis for someone who can actually contribute. im not ready to give up snyder yet. right now he contributes more to this team than francis, but if we were to package them to get someone who could actually make the rotation then i'm all for it.

20. kwng

kwng Member

By all means, I still want us to win and continue to win but hopefully Adelman will think of these circumstances.