1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Major Climate Skeptic Scientist Paid $1.2MM by Big Oil

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/u...-climate-change-researcher-Wei-Hock-Soon.html

Wow, just goes to show that science is battling the oil industry and the oil industry is winning. This guy was a major force in shaping the entire climate skeptics argument and now we see he is just a paid lobbyist and a quack scientist who lied about who paid his bills.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Is this a surprise to anyone??

It is clear that big corporations are terrible and use their money to push their agenda forward. And since Climate change is the biggest danger for oil companies this is to be expected. This is also why I am also amazed that many climate change deniers actually use the argument that Scientists made it up to get paid.

3. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

What about all the money the scientists who blame climate change on humans take from the kale industry, hmmm?

I am tired of living under the repressive regime of big kale.

4. bongman

bongman Member

From the same article, it is important to also note....

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

the guy sounds pretty smart. he lies and has im assuming plenty of money.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Is anyone really surprised that this sort of thng is happening? After all, big business, far too often, cares more about quarterly profits than they do about what their company might be doing to the planet. In my humble opinion.

7. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

$1.2 million is a small fraction of what Al Gore and other climate profiteers have cashed in on with their hysterical and false predictions.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Can we stop calling them "skeptics" and start calling them "deniers" now?

We don't call them "vaccine skeptics" or "holocaust skeptics".

You don't get to hide behind the concept of "skepticism" when something is a proven fact.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

FIFY.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are you really that lazy? Apparently.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I started a thread on this story two weeks ago. Why not add to the discussion there?

12. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I think the biggest issue here is conflict of interest. Good scientific researchers won't compromise their research just to gain funding. If this guy wants to prove that CO2 isn't causing climate change, he should do it without funding from oil companies. Of course, Soon is probably receiving even more money under the table, which makes it worthwhile for him to ignore ethical research standards.

Companies need to be more ethical while not compromising profit. I don't think it is naive to say it is possible to accomplish both. In fact, companies that have higher ethical standards usually find themselves doing quite well (e.g. being environmentally friendly and heavily advertising about being green).

Edit: Also adding my post to Cohete Rojo's thread.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You are better at dancing around a ring than a rodeo clown

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Didn't see it.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are comparing a corrupt scientist to Al Gore???? Give me a break. What serious climate scientist pockets that kind of money?

THis is proof you don't care about science and just care about politics

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Didn't see it! :)-

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Why would an oil company fund climate studies if not to discredit climate change? The Pentagon, hardly a bunch of hippies, sees climate change as a national security risk but Exxon is just revealing the truth of climate change as a hoax out of goodwill to society. Mkay.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

won't trust peer-reviewed consensus of scientists for suspiscion of profiteering from "governement funding"

trusts massive oil and gas industry with trillions of dollars at risk just becasue... america?

i just can't handle this type of reasoning... it literally bottles the mind.

19. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

lol @ thinking the oil industry is at risk of anything even if draconian global warming legislation gets passed.

When the oil industry is at risk they start wars.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just going to post this again.
    [rquoter]But the Limbaughs and Hannitys of the world have done a great job convincing Americans that climatologists have entered into this massive, incomprehensible conspiracy to fool the world that there’s a problem. The reason, they say, is that climatologists are doing it for the money, so they can continue to live in their climatologist mansions and drive their climatologist Ferraris. (For the 26 percent who might not get it, that was sarcasm.) Meanwhile, the people who selflessly fight for Americans—the billionaire industrialists and oil-industry magnates—speak only truth because, you know, they have no financial reason to suggest climate change is a fraud. After all, they have dedicated themselves to a modest life so they can advance the truth, residing in their tumble-down, billionaire shacks and driving their billionaire 1994 Chevys. (Once again—sarcasm.)[/rquoter]