1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelvin Sampson discusses the Rockets' growth on offense, the Jeremy Lin-James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mr. 13 in 33, Nov 13, 2012.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

1 person likes this.
  2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

At the 2:08 mark, Sampson stated these words, "With the minute left in the game, the last thing we wanna do is bleed the clock down to three or four seconds and get boxed in to a tight shot that we gonna take".

I hope they make him move more in the next couple of games. Harden is talented, but he doesn't need to hit those contested shots. The reason why I was amaze by him during games one and two was that he didn't take contested shots. He was smart to think which shot to take. If he didn't have a good shot, he passed the ball. I hope I see that Harden once again.

3. slickster

slickster Member

Perhaps sampson, as acting head coach, should draw up a play, so harden doesn't dribble the ball aimlessly for 20 seconds before chucking up a series of bad shots.

Perhaps if harden had any idea what he was doing under a competent coach, responsibility would be distributed upon all player's shoulders rather than on those of one.

Sampson does an amazingly fine job of calling his players out, when it's the coach's fault that the players have no idea what they're supposed to be doing out there due to a complete lack of intelligible coaching.

Perhaps sampson should call a play instead of complaining about these things the following day.

4. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Sampson said that it was on him.

Don't know, I am warming to Sampson. Yeah his decision to not bring in Asik, no excuse there. If he did not have a time out he could say "Well we were going to need shooters in there." but he had a time out to bring in Asik for the rebound and take him out.

With that said, I like that he realizes the potential for a let down game. New Orleans is not a terrible team, played the Spurs of all teams tough and beat the bulls. Rockets go in and sleep on them they will lose, period.

6. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

I am wondering what Mchale interesting comments were on the phone after the game.

1) even my grandma could have hit that wide open shot.
    2) is that beard blocking his vision that he can't see the open man?
    3) too bad for the players, but I think you are better coach at losing than me.
    4) Wft you are doing? you know Asik is our best rebounder, right? Don't be so obvious, by leaving him out on those fts when you know we needed the ball.
    5) why can't Morey trade all our players for lebron?
    6) good job coach, we just need 65 more losses. Keep up the good job.

7. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

After listening to that interview it seems to be clear that the directive for Lin to give the ball to Harden and go stand in the corner is coming from the coaching staff and that this is unlikely to change.

So basically Lin's future on this team looks bleak because he's going to continue to be used as a spot-up shooter in who's PG abilities the coach have less faith in than they do in that of TD.

I hope for his and the Rocket's sake, they trade him soon to a team that actually wants to play him as a PG.

I wish some reporter had the balls to ask Sampson if he believes that using Lin as a spot-up three point shooter is what's best for the Rockets?

1 person likes this.
  8. slickster

slickster Member

Yeah, sampson is trying to come across as a bad ass take no prisoners type. A false front for a complete lack of coaching ability. This is the MO of sociopathic frauds everywhere.

9. slickster

slickster Member

As in: "harden f--ked up, he shoulda yad yada yada. He knows that's not the right thing to do. LONG. PREGNANT PAUSE.

"Oh yeah it's on me."

Sampson's an idiot.

10. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

This is why JLin needs to say f it and just stop deferring to harden. Just dare sampson to sit him. Otherwise the rox will ruin what is otherwise a promising career. It just sounds like the rox have mistakenly built up a player who is an excellent sixth man but not ready to lead his team.

11. slickster

slickster Member

Harden comped Sampson at da strip clubs for the entire season. He'll get the rock on the rockets.

12. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I'm not sure what you expect Lin to do? I don't think he has the kind of personality to just go against the coach. Remember a few games ago, Lin started of strong, making plays and he had like 3 assists in no time at all.

Then you see Sampson chewing him out on the sidelines. I can guess he was telling Lin that he needs to stop playmaking and give the ball to harden because that was the plan and so that's what he does.

I don't know why Sampson is so prejudiced against Lin, but it's worse here than with Woodson. Because in NY, Woodson HAD to let Lin be the playmaker as he was a huge fan favorite and had been playing well. Lin being new to the rockets and a lot of fans no really understanding his game or supporting him makes it easy for Sampson to treat him like this. I gotta say I feel really bad for the kid.

13. bongman

bongman Member

Is it possible that coach Sampson responded to the question based on the context of a late game situation? That was their topic when the question was asked.

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Harden can still lead a team. You have to be patient though. Harden is going to make mistakes, lots of them. What do you expect? This is the first NBA team he has had on his back and he is doing it with an incredibly young team that has about a 3:1 ratio of new faces to old. This is the product of being the youngest team in the NBA, not a product of inadequacy.

1 person likes this.
  15. slickster

slickster Member

Kelvin Sampson Is A Joke!!!!

There's no bigger idiot in the state of texas than sampson. Here are some of the idiotic goofs this clown has foisted upon this fine organization:

1. claims toney douglas, shooting 7% from the field, is better "in some matchups" than JLin.

2. blames the heat loss on harden, saying harden shouldn't have dribbled down the clock on 3 consec. possessions. Idiotic sampson, in his infinite stupidity has a rare moment of lucidity and then coughs up: "but that's on me."

Yeah, you dumbf---, it IS on you to call a play so harden knows what he's supposed to be doing.

3. installs iso ball rendering every other player on the court useless. Meanwhile, harden is equally useless as he's left to chuck up bad shot after bad shot with no cutters or passing options.

4. attempts to channel bobby knight by bad mouthing players in the media after games, again, too stupid to realize he should've called some plays for them DURING the game.

I don't know how this buffoon became an asst. coach in this league, but it will be a glorious day when both mchale and sampson are banished from the rockets' bench.

Even the most simple minded basketball fan can see that sampson is kryptonite to this team.

16. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Anything is possible. But if you look at the way Lin is playing and you listen to Sampson's comments previous, about this not being 'democratic ball' and how 'Lin had a lot of freedom in NY which he wasn't going to get here,' add to that what he said the other day about how he thought TD 'was a better match-up against Bynum' and 'better at 'leading the transition' as well as his comments today, to me the conclusion is pretty obvious.

And that is this, the coach simply doesn't rate Lin as a player, period, and he never has to begin with.

Or to put it another way. If Lin being this passive is not down to the coach, then why isn't Sampson saying anything about it or doing anything about it? He said PPat needs to rebound better. Sampson is a guy who likes to speak his mind and I think we can be fairly confident in taking him at his word.

17. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I thought Clutch stopped posters from making knee-jerk, idiotic threads.

18. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, join date is Oct 2012 and he only has one bar :confused:

19. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

There goes the forum.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly