1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford - Chat on ESPN Insider Today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zcity, Jul 21, 2005.

1. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

Sorry - Link Wont Work B/C It's from ESPN INSIDER

J.R. Altenglan Germany: What does Swift do for the Rockets? Bring false hope, or fill the need?

Chad Ford: Some of both. I love Swift's tools. He's long, athletic, runs the floor as well as any big man in the league and he's a shot blocker. The Rockets need all of that. But he doesn't always player hard, lacks motivation and is inconsistent. In other words, he isn't the answer to all their problems, but even a half-hearted Swift is an upgrade at the four for them.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Chad Ford = dumbass

Screw him. He said the same crap when T-Mac came here. He ate crow. He's going to do the same when Swift becomes a viable asset to this team.

3. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Ford earns his paycheck because he has good contacts with the agents and GMS (so THAT information is good stuff).

But being a cool guy and buying drinks for agents to get inside info, does NOT make you a good basketball analyst.

That being said, his comments are fairly accurate - Swift is a good pickup, he HAS a history of not showing up, the Rockets STILL NEED another piece or two.... but he IS better than what we threw out there last year

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If Swift can't get his work ethic into shape w/ a guy like JVG being on your ass every single day throughout the year... he will not make it in this league much longer (especially not long enough to see his major $$$ once he hits his prime).

Something tells me that JVG (and the potential $$$) will get him to work just a tad bit harder these next 5 years.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I just wanted to say that that was NOT me :cool:. GermanRoxFan?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I wonder how much of the "not working hard" label was because he just didn't play much behind Gasol?

Tmac had that label and he busted his ARSE for us....

I am thrilled to have Swift, and JVG should get him to work hard.

DD

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

We lost the Dallas series because we had plenty of motivation but not enough tools. I'll have some tools, waiter.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I fully expect to see him work hard this year....he came here for less money knowing that VG was gonna require him to play hard and play smart.

If he wasnt prepared to do that...he could have easily got a better deal elsewhere.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There's a reason why they hide him with Insider duties. He's the Fredo Corleone of ESPN.

"It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!"

10. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

In this case, Ford's comments are valid. We all hope Swift's energy level and concentration will become consistent.

11. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

Chad Ford makes comment...

Sura Faints

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Swift will have an awfully hard time trying to play half-hearted under JVG. Besides, he was clearly unhappy his last year or two in Memphis (hence his taking a one-year tender to skip town). I'm hopeful that McGrady helps get him into the system quick.

Evan

13. haven

haven Member

Dude, everything he said about Swift is true. He may change, but Chad Ford's comments are accurate. Just because we like a player, doesn't mean that he's perfect.

Does anyone really believe that Swift is a dedicated, focused worker?

14. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

I would agree that everything Ford has said is true about what Swift has demonstrated on the court.

That said, I think the fact that Van Gundy is a known entity as a demanding coach, the fact that Swift apparently by all accounts took less money to come here, and the fact that one of the league's biggest superstars likes the acquisition and has already committed to doing everything in his power to help Swift succeed, suggest to me that major improvement this year is very likely and that the willingness to work and the vision that the big three (McGrady, Ming, Swift) could be a dynasty with hard work all are very realistic possibilities.

Here's hoping the stars align for us.