1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ARTICLE: Houston Guard Tandem...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IROC it, Nov 20, 2003.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Article I stumbled across, interesting look into Rockets from Mavs followers...

from WFAA.com

Rockets keep guard tandem together
    01:30 AM CST on Sunday, November 16, 2003

Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley have been together as long as any current backcourt pairing this side of Steve Nash and Michael Finley.

They remain a unit on the Houston Rockets, having survived the transition to new coach Jeff Van Gundy and widespread predictions of their imminent demise.

Despite Yao Ming's presence, Francis and Mobley rank 1-2 in team scoring. The two have led the Rockets in scoring average since 1999-2000, the year they first formed a guard tandem.

"It's special, still being together," Mobley said. "They could have switched us up. It grew us closer as a family."

Also Online
    Rockets keep guard tandem together

Around the NBA

NBA Rankings

As good as the two have been, Houston has failed to make the playoffs with them as the focal point.

Van Gundy was supposed to change things, one way or another.

Early talk had him running the offense through the 7-6 Yao.

People wondered about his reaction to Francis launching cringe-inducing 3-pointers off the dribble.

So far, Van Gundy has survived, and so has the backcourt combination. Van Gundy said he tried to block out preconceived notions.

"That's why I found it best to just wait to work with someone to find out," Van Gundy said.

And?

"It's been fine," he said. "I think one of the big misconceptions about the Rockets after watching the games last year and being with them this year is that they don't willingly pass the ball to Yao. That's not true. ...

"It's hard sometimes, because the new rules make it harder to effectively pass to a post player. It doesn't have anything to do with their willingness to do it."

Van Gundy has defended his guards publicly, especially after a training-camp comment was interpreted as a slam on Francis.

He really doesn't have much choice. As Thursday's loss to the Mavericks showed, Yao doesn't yet have the temperament to dominate consistently.

Kelvin Cato is a nice defender and rebounder. Jim Jackson can shoot but shouldn't be a No. 1 option at this stage. That leaves Francis and Mobley.

Van Gundy would like to see the two expand their games. They've already answered his call to work hard on defense, which has reflected itself in team stats.

He has suggested that Francis to look for more catch-and-shoot situations. Unlike many players, Francis is at his best shooting off the dribble, which means he sometimes passes up open shots.

Consistency is a key for Mobley, who ranges from very good to really bad. Both players can be rattled by defensive pressure.

Van Gundy's barometer is likely to be the standings far more than the scoring averages.

Even he admitted that the 5-1 start was as much about the Rockets' weak opening schedule as their improvement.

Mobley says he's happy for the chance that he and Francis have been given on what could be their most talented team since arriving in Houston.

"There's always critics," Mobley said. "But can they come in and play and do what we do? I don't really care what they say – as long as Jeff recognizes it."

E-mail ccarlton@dallasnews.com

WFAA.com

Interesting huh? I realize this about a week ago, but sounds like most of us non-steve bashing, non-JVG bashing, encouragers of Yao to get tough, are right...;)

2. danjojo

danjojo Member

They all get along fine. It's hard not to when you are 8-3 and leading your division.

One comment i wanted to make about that last possesion in Toronto in the 4th quarter. I would not be surprised if JVG had told Francis to hold it and take the last shot himself. The reason he looked pissed is because the shot Francis was from 5ft behind the 3pt line...not quite what he had expected, but i would bet Francis was asked to take the last shot.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member