1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

We are undervaluing the NOP Pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

One thing I wanted to bring up was that IMO the board is really not placing enough value on the pick we are getting from New Orleans next year. Even if we were to just sit on the pick, we would be able to draft a solid player.

I really believe that the pick is going to fall in the #7-#11 range. I like the players for that team but I am skeptical about their ability to stay healthy and play together. Still a lot of youth on that team and playing in the west will not do you any favors.

Obviously it is like 95% that we end up trading this pick in the next 11 months. Dragic (as an example) would be a decent trade but the chance of that pick ending up around #5 definitely exists.

Obviously we have overstepped this summer and our luck definitely ran out. BUT in all of that sorrow, Morey did pull a HUGE asset. One that very well could cosmically negate the sting of losing out on Bosh or losing Parsons. That may not happen soon but IMO it is likely and we must treat that pick as the absolute most valuable asset we have. We must cherish it more than DM loves candy or flexibility. Cherish.

1 person likes this.
  2. mario_v

mario_v Member

I expect the nop pick will help net us our next star player.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You better hope it's worth something because that New Orleans pick is pretty much the only decent asset at our disposal.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Baqui- I think Jones grades out pretty well as an asset.

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

NOP pick will only worth something if they have a major injury, with the addition aof Asik, they are pretty much set inside. Strong defense. They are now a borderline playoff team

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The value of the Lowry pick was that the year he had it on the market, was a year in which that was the only lottery level pick available from a team that was looking to acquire a star. Back then either no lottery team was wanting to give up their picks (because they were tanking & wanted to score a #1 pick), or the teams that wanted to trade for players were not in the lottery.

The problem with the Pelle's pick this year isn't that the pick isn't good... its that the Rockets will be competing in trade packages with the likes of these guys -

-Phoenix - (+ all of their 1st's)

2015 first round draft pick from Minnesota
    Minnesota's 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-12 in 2015 or 1-12 in 2016; if Minnesota has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Phoenix by 2016, then Minnesota will instead convey its 2016 2nd round pick and 2017 2nd round pick to Phoenix [Minnesota-New Orleans-Phoenix, 7/27/2012]

2015 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
    L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Phoenix protected for selections 1-5 in 2015, 1-3 in 2016 or 1-3 in 2017 or unprotected in 2018 [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012]

Boston- (+ all of their own 1'st)

2015 first round draft pick from Philadelphia
    Philadelphia's 2015 1st round pick to Boston (via Miami) protected for selections 1-14; if Philadelphia has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Boston by 2015, then Philadelphia will instead convey its 2015 2nd round pick and 2016 2nd round pick to Boston [Miami-Philadelphia, 6/28/2012 and then Boston-Golden State-Miami, 1/15/2014]

2015 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers
    L.A. Clippers' 2015 1st round pick to Boston [Boston-L.A. Clippers, 6/25/2013]

2016 first round draft pick from Brooklyn
    Brooklyn's 2016 1st round pick to Boston [Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]

2016 first round draft pick from Cleveland
    Cleveland's 1st round pick to Boston protected for selections 1-10 in 2016, 1-10 in 2017, 1-10 in 2018 or unprotected in 2019 [Boston-Brooklyn-Cleveland, 7/10/2014]

Cleveland -

2015 first round draft pick from Memphis
    Memphis' 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 or 1-5 in 2018 or unprotected in 2019 [Cleveland-Memphis, 1/22/2013]

2015 first round draft pick from Miami
    Miami's 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-10 in 2015 or 1-10 in 2016 or unprotected in 2017 [Cleveland-Miami, 7/9/2010]

Etc.

This year there are more than a few teams that have stacked assets to compete with the Rockets trade packages for the next great player that comes available in trades.

I suspect this year its going to be a little more costly to make a big trade with so much competition..... even though the Pelle's pick does have value.

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

People are undervaluing it, because we don't know what kind of team the Pelicans will be...

Once this is established and other teams start to drop out of playoff chase. The pick will become more valuable. If for any reason Dragic or another player isn't pushing a team towards playoffs or (it's just not working)... a team will want to have this pick. I think it will be a top 10 pick.

8. rocketseagles07

If clutchfans is underrating it now it's only a matter of time before it becomes overrated. Soon we'll see all these trade ideas involing the pick and d-mo for whatever random star is said to be available.

9. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

I don't remember if trade exceptions can be packaged with other players, but if so, I'd imagine a package of the Lin TPE, Dmo/TJones, NOP 1st to be offered to several teams...

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Dobro-Good observation but at a glance the protection on our pick seems favorable to almost all of those.

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i think we are undervaluaing that pick in respect to what value is has held over the past few seasons however the players taken between that 8-12 range IMO the hitrate is shaky at best.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The Lin TPE isn't a tradeable asset. You can't send a Trade Exception to another team.

It does come in handy, however, if your team is willing to take on a player whose salary does not exceed the value of that Trade Exception.

For example, if we wanted to trade for Ricky Rubio (just as an example, mind you) or Kevin Love (ain't gowanns to happen, but again, it's just an example), Minnesota might insist we take Kevin Martin or Chase Budinger. Each makes less than the Lin Trade Exception (8.3 million) so we could take one or the other along with our trade target. (We might have to give them a nominal 2nd rounder in "exchange" for the player we acquired with the Exception, just to make that part an "actual trade".)

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The thing is it could easily be a #18 or #19 pick if the Pelicans are the 8th seed in the West.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

True... Morey put amazing protections on that pick, but I just wanted to point out that the market for teams NEEDING to trade picks this year is much higher than normal years.

Given the higher competition on the trade market, price will almost surely go up for any quality player that comes on the market. Competition for the seller (the team trying to trade a star player) is good, competition for the buyer (the teams with the picks trying to acquire that player) is bad & means they are going to spend more.

This is also another reason why Flip Saunders hasn't traded Kevin Love yet. He sees the market out there, and has no real reason to trade Love yet. The longer he waits, the more potential he has for teams like Houston to acquire more picks, or put more into a trade package offer to compete against the likes of a Boston or Phoenix.

Its gonna be a tough year for Morey to compete with other buyers for a true superstar talent. I believe in Morey still (even after this rough offseason), but I hope people are realistic about the market.

15. bmd

bmd Member

I don't think it's a good pick.

Last year, even with the most injuries in the league, there were still 9 teams with worse records than the Pelicans.

With another year of experience, Anthony Davis improving at an insane rate, the addition of Asik, and a healthy roster, the Pelicans are a low-seeded playoff team in the West.

The pick just isn't very good.

16. GranvilleWaders

Honestly I see it as a #14 or #15 pick. The Pelicans remind me a lot of the Rockets team of strong mediocrity. Back when they had Chase Budinger, Luis Scola, Trevor Ariza etc..

So they will be fighting for the 7th 8th seed in playoffs...and probably end up at 9th or 10th in the West out of the playoffs... that will net the Rockets anywhere from 14-16. Now if some of their guys get injured...I think we could get as high as #6..but you can bet on 14-16.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Even if the pick does turn out to be good, its useless on a team like ours unless we get an NBA ready player or flip it for a vet.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If we are going to add a superstar, Morey needs to give up his most talented young prospect: James Harden. :p

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Is T Jones even on the block? Trading him would leave a huge hole at the 4.

20. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

How underrated of the pick partially depends on how overrated is Asik. I expect a top10 pick given how loaded western conference is.