1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isaiah Canaan is the key to saving the Houston Rockets' offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown's Finest, Jul 22, 2014.

1. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Canaan and Johnson for Love. Get 'r done Morey!

OK. Love and a pick.

2. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Better to play bad in summer league games than to actually play well huh? Why every NBA team has scouts present at summer league games to see if there are hidden gems available is a mystery to me. These NBA GM's are totally clueless and should not use summer league as a determining factor in the player evaluation process.

[​IMG]

3. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

"Saving the Houston Rockets' offseason"

...does this team still have kevin martin and jeremy lin with chuck hayes as our center?

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

smh Isaiah Canaan? so now our offseason can be saved if one of our draft picks develop? Couldn't you write this stupid article like every season? Which team doesn't need its draft picks to develop? You know what would have been a good offseason? If Canaan develops AND we kept CP for a million AND we traded Lin & Asik for actual rotation players rather than cap space and draft picks.

5. archinkent

archinkent Member

Yeah, except the fact hat those being scouted are usually rookies or unknown prospects.

Canaan had already played one season in the NBA. He should be judged against seasoned NBA players.

6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Should he? He spent most of that season in the d-league.

7. archinkent

archinkent Member

Alright, maybe I was wrong to say he played one whole season, but I believe he played enough. One month worth of games before the playoffs when Bev went down, which to his credit he played well.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Eh, Terence Jones played more minutes two years ago than Canaan did last year. Do you not think think teams were scouting Jones last Summer League when he was tearing it up?

To your point about scouting and comparisons, the norm of the Summer League is to have rotational 2nd and 3rd year players who played limited minutes in the big league. A player that performs well, such as DMo or Canaan, does receive increased attention from scouts. This is especially true with teams like the Rockets who are looking to move prospects for a star.

9. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

oh my god, I am dying at this haha I don't know why I found it so funny...

Anyways on topic, I really think DMo is going to be a major surprise this season. He looks like has added significantly to his frame and his defense looked very solid in SL (I know I know... but let's be positive). He was very efficient in the post and was able to hit 3's at a respectable clip. I really think he is going to have a breakout year this and honestly, if he was in the year's draft, he could have been a late lottery pick based on his upside. Anyways, I hope we don't end up trading him just to clear some room for a mid-tier player.

10. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

What games were you watching?
    GAMES 22
    MiN 252
    FG% .356
    3P% .327
    AST 22
    TOV 21
    OffRtg 104.9
    DefRtg 109.7 Second worst on team
    NetRtg -4.8 Third worst on team

11. traveler

traveler Member

Canaan? We are screwed.

12. MR. BEAN

MR. BEAN Member

he is good PNR player but Houston dun run PNR

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You know, I have finally figured out what chafes me about that Carmelo "Key to a Championship Formula" poster: the words.

A formula does not have a key. A formula one racer has a key, I suppose.

Ugh. I do love that we're remaking the sad times into a funny meme. We should just keep badly photoshopping other random players' heads onto it.

14. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

I don't really care to be honest,all I know is that we will waste next Season aswell.

15. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I don't think the Mchale system calls for a traditional PG. So we just need a PG who can play off the ball and spot off for the three, and also play defense. The Mchale system also doesn't require the PG to be a playmaker nor does is it a P&R heavy system. So although it's exciting to see that canaan and johnson did well in the summer league, I'm having difficulty seeing how their strengths will be utilized effectively or significantly under the current system.

16. queazie

queazie Member

Holy cow, we don't need no dragic or Bledsoe! We have freaking Canaan. Move over you lowly point guards. Canaan to the rescue... God bless us all ;)

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Canaan the Barbarian

18. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

It might just be me, but I actually feel like canaan panning out=offseason saved kinda makes sense when you consider that there was only two bad moves mad this summer.

1. lin and a pick for nothing
    2. Not keeping CP for >1mil

2. is hard to rationalise and accept, however if canaan becomes a capable/viable backup player (and i suspect that would be somewhere along the lines of jerryd bayless/mo williams production) out of a 2nd year player, 1. beacuse significantly easier to accept.