1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cops Gonna Cop] Austin police body-slam black teacher, officer tell her blacks have 'violent tenden

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jul 22, 2016.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Arresting her for what, even? Speeding? This did not need to be escalated, and I suspect in different circumstances, it wouldn't have been.

When I saw the video at first, it just showed her being yanked out of the car, and the struggle. I thought "ok, but what led up to that?". Now that I've seen that, it seems the answer is 'not much'.

At the risk of using inflammatory language, it would seem she was being arrested for being uppity.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Arresting her for willfully failing or refusing to comply with a lawful order or direction of a police officer. When a cop pulls you over and tells you to get back in your car and you don't do it, you are committing an arrestable offence.

Like I said earlier, a bit of education and a LOT less BS millennial entitlement and the woman would have just gotten a speeding ticket and been done with it much like thousands of other people who get pulled over every day. Unfortunately she was the right combination of b**** and entitled ******* to end up turning a traffic stop into an arrest.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I guess if you had said hypotheticals, you'd be collecting welfare or done disability in order to support your family while contributing your workload on clutchfans.

Then again, it's easy to judge and digress in made up hypotheticals.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Or perhaps I can just do multiple things at once. Just because you cannot imagine a scenario where you could do something, does not mean that someone else is as limited.

Either way, if this woman was my wife, daughter, or niece, I'd be incredibly disappointed in them for their actions. If you disagree, that's fine, it's entirely possible that you expect less from people than I do.

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Being disappointed is fine. But being body slammed is not a reasonable reaction, and should not be acceptable from trained professional "peace officers".

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Cool. I love being diagnosed by sociopaths. :grin:

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Your clock must be a different clock than the one we use here on Earth.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've said all along that the cop should be disciplined for being overly physical, still doesn't excuse the woman's behavior. She brought this all on herself by being a b****y overly entitled millennial who thought she didn't have to listen to anyone.

The cop did the right thing when he asked her to step out of the vehicle when she wasn't complying with his orders for her to get in and shut the door and then he did the right thing by physically removing her from the vehicle in order to arrest her, where he went wrong is that he was a bit too physical in removing her from the vehicle. He should be written up for it, and the rest is a non-story other than a lesson in how not to act when you are pulled over for speeding.

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

[If it were, it would be your first]

Only if you're getting your "facts" from bigots and racists.

You realize that this number is just as likely to come from racist application of the laws, arresting young black people is easier than arresting people from communities where it is more likely that the families have the resources to defend themselves in court.

No, it is much more enraging when people lie and make claims that aren't true, aren't supported by the numbers they present, and do so in order to further a bigoted and racist narrative.

That's certainly how it used to be until the conservatives started believing everything that a pundit spews off of Bull**** Mountain.

And you close it out with racist rhetoric. I love it when you get hoist on your own petard.

1 person likes this.
  10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Whether or not she posed a threat to him is a0 unknown and b) secondarily important. Is he supposed to stay there all afternoon into the evening sharpening his powers of persuasion? The situation needs resolution and since she didn't offer it, he did.

Yeah probably so but all that happened after she began her stretch of not cooperating. He reached into her car to pull her out when she refused to willingly exit the vehicle... and then SHE orders him not to touch her?!

He is an officer of the law; he has extensive powers that you and I don't have. Yes, she was hurling expletives at him. She tried to evade him by trying to convince him that he had pulled into the parking lot rather than admitting that she pulled in because he had indicated for her to do so by close following with lights on.

She tried to tell the officer that he didn't have the right to stop her because she had stopped voluntarily to shop.... ooops, without my wallet or purse. It's just a shallow manipulation on her part.

It's a terrible thing that happened to your sister, but every event stands on its own merits. Your sister did nothing wrong I would guess; this gal made a series of blunders all of her own doing.

11. giddyup

Well, you claimed 3 seconds. She had practiced almost a minute of verbal evasions and non-cooperation before the officer took control of the situation.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Police Chief Acevedo disagrees with your assessment.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What matters here is what happened from the point in time when he gave her the order to put her feet in the car. The orders he gave preceding that was he asked her to return to her car and hand over her license, which she did. She did nothing wrong in asking whether he was authorized to issue a ticket in that situation. He answered her question, and that was the end of that.

You're trying to portray at is as if she took "almost a minute" to respond to an order from the police officer, which is not at all what happened.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It sets the stage though, it's context. When he pulled her over, she left her car and started to walk off ignoring him, she then questioned his right to pull her over, she then refused to follow his lawful orders which is an arrestable offense and he went to arrest her for it. The reason he had less patience with her was because of a series of actions that interfered with him completing his public duties. Any normal, intelligent person just does what they are told and gets a speeding ticket. Unfortunately, there's a ton of morons out there.

15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

You wrote asking should he wait for 10 minutes or a half hour. My reply is not even a minute had passed before he dove into her vehicle for not putting her feet in her car fast enough. That also means that half her body was in the car so she was listening to his orders. Just not fast enough to please the officer. Not fast enough is roughly 3 seconds time where he asks her again and then decides to tackle her.

I do agree she was being difficult in terms of avoiding a speeding ticket. She wasn't being inflammatory towards him. She didn't call him names. But she did move back to her car when he asked her to. She did get most of her body back in the car when he asked her to. She just didn't put her legs back in the vehicle fast enough which was about 3 seconds too late even though she actually was complying. I'd have given her 5 seconds or 10. Even 30 seconds because I know my 200 lb. physique could easily overpower a defenseless 100 lb. woman should things ever escalate to that point.

I'd diffuse the situation and tell her no one enjoys tickets but that I'm just trying to do my job as law enforcement and that there's a violation she committed. It'd all be on footage. It'd diffuse the situation and she'd have likely owned up to speeding. His solution on the other hand was to dive into her vehicle, attack her and face plant her on hard pavement. I didn't even finish all of the video but apparently he then lied about her throwing a strike at him according to posts on here and then another law enforcement officer has the gall to say she was being the aggressive one? Do you not see how hypocritical that is?

His lie about her throwing a strike could have landed her in prison for assaulting a law enforcement officer and no one would be the wiser without this footage even though he was the clear aggressor. It would have been that officer's testimony over hers. And your defense to the situation is laughable. When the chief of police acknowledges wrongdoings committed by the officer then what is there to defend? His own boss thinks he goofed up. I get you got a buddy in law enforcement and you've watched some cop footage of situations gone bad, but those aren't the norm. When you're so paranoid that a 100 lb. woman that's unarmed is considered a threat to your vitality then I question your judgment.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I bolded the key part there. You say she refused to follow his lawful orders. I assume what you mean is she refused to follow his orders in a timely manner. This comes down to a judgment call of what qualifies as refusing to follow an order in a timely manner. In my view, he should have waited a little longer to establish that fact. I don't think her actions preceding that, as irritating as they may have been to the officer, justified him giving such a "short leash".

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He doesn't have to sit there and argue with her, as soon as he tells her what to do and she refuses to comply immediately it's an arrestable offense. Your only argument here is if she planned on complying but she either didn't understand what he was asking or that she was incapable of complying. Neither was the case. She could have complied, but she refused. The second that refusal happens, you can be arrested.

When the stop started, he had to tell her 3 times to get back in her vehicle and then confirm that yes she really did have to do it. He then had to ask her 2 times to give him her drivers license where he waited 25 seconds between the first time he asked her and the second time he asked her because she was trying to get around doing it. He then had to ask her 2 times to put her feet back in her car so he could close the door, this time he only waited 3 seconds between requests and then after 3 more seconds of her refusal he asked her to step out of the car so that she could be arrested to which she replied "no".

Police aren't there to play around with people and if you commit arrestable offenses in front of them, they are probably going to arrest you. There's absolutely no excuse for her behavior. Again, education is probably the answer, if she was taught how to act when being puled over and taught how to comply with basic instructions then it would have just been a normal traffic stop for speeding. You have to be next level stupid to turn a speeding ticket into an arrest.

18. giddyup

Yes I know. Softie.

19. giddyup

"Get back in the car" really means "You shouldn't have gotten out of the car" so I would gather that the procedure is for the driver of the car being stopped is for them to sit in their car with the door closed, still with their seat belt on, waiting for further instructions.

I saw a demo video on this with a police chief and one of his officers. With the chief behind the wheel, the officer approached the driver's window and the chief released his seat belt. There was a little nervous laughter and the officer said to the chief "you shouldn't have done that... buckle it back." Oh and his feet were in the car and the car door was shut.... like it is supposed to be.

20. giddyup

We can't see what went on exactly but I think it was more a matter of she wasn't putting her feet in the car PERIOD. He could have perhaps issued clearer instructions but she ignored and or resisted him until he went WWF on her.

Too bad. Could have so easily been avoided.