1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Political Impact of the BLM Movement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by El_Conquistador, Jul 13, 2016.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No. Why would I do that? This isn't a race war. That's a graph about murders committed by black people and white people. The graph itself is inherently divisive, lacks context, is a total red herring, and it brings no insight for the community relations of police departments. It's irrelevant to BLM.

I'd like to see a graphs on how often blacks are questioned and searched by police compared to whites, and what are the success rates on finding evidence of a crime in these interactions. I'd like to see a graph of categories of reasonable suspicion police have used to initiate these encounters with whites and blacks. I'd like to see a graph comparing police leniency for blacks and whites and how often cops 'look the other way' for things they know they could ticket or arrest for but choose not to.

2. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

So you don't think that the extremely high difference in the incidence of murder per capita by one group vs another would have an effect on the way a cop looks at that group?

I think the chart does a fantastic job of explaining why one group is looked at differently. They are committing violent crimes at a higher rate per capita and there is no denying it. It is mostly within their own group.

Cops tend to hang out where the incident of crime is higher... I've never seen one on my street ever so I don't even get a chance to be looked at, much less looked at differently.

I will say this, there is a speed trap on a big hill near my place that those guys sit and pay the bills... they give tickets to EVERYONE.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I've been thinking and had to bump for some real talk...

BLM? let's be honest, not all of them. now of course the same can be said for WhiteLM, BlueLM, AllLM, etc... we all know a few that don't and if you check any daily LEO blotter you'll find plenty that don't matter.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I know this is the year of the Trump, but this is your real talk? Some people -- white, black, and blue -- don't matter. If they've committed a crime or otherwise attracted the attention of law enforcement, they don't matter. Maybe you're being more discerning than that; maybe it's just the really low-character people, hardened criminals, and the like that don't matter. You're ready to just do away with them. Now that political correctness has been defeated, we no longer have to pretend to respect people's inherent humanity, or the civil rights we guaranteed to everyone in the Constitution. I get it about Trump, but when Cruz and the rest of the comparatively-mainstream Republican establishment declared war on political correctness, was it for this purpose? So that we can be plain-spoken about how we really don't care about the ideals of our forefathers, like how all men are created equal and that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. So that we can say that's all fine and good for talking theory, but when we're talking for real, the actual truth of the matter is that some people don't matter, we don't give a **** what they want, and it'd be better for the rest of us if they just didn't exist.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member