1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Announce New Broadcast Partnership(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Oct 8, 2002.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_Announce_New_Broadcast-54739-34.html

Rockets Announce New Broadcast Partnerships

HOUSTON (October 7, 2002) – The Houston Rockets today announced a pair of partnership agreements with KNWS, Channel 51 and KHWB, Channel 39 to broadcast preseason and regular season games for the upcoming 2002-2003 season. KNWS will air the Rockets’ first preseason game on Tuesday, Oct. 8 when the team travels to Memphis for a 7:00 p.m. tipoff. KHWB will televise its initial Rockets telecast on Saturday, Dec. 7, vs. Philadelphia.
    Under terms of the individual agreements, KNWS will air at least four preseason road games and 34 regular season road games. KHWB will provide coverage for at least nine home games and six road contests during the Rockets regular season. Rockets fans will have the opportunity to see every Rockets home and road game through local or national broadcasts.

“We are extremely pleased with these new associations and expect them to be rewarding for both the Rockets and our fans,” said George Postolos, chief operating officer for the Rockets. “KNWS and KHWB are very valuable partners in the Houston market. We are always looking for ways to improve the viewing experience for our fans and these new broadcast partners are committed to producing a first-class broadcast. We look forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship with both Channel 51 and Channel 39.”

Bill Worrell returns for his 17th season as the Rockets play-by-play announcer and will be joined by Hall of Famer Calvin Murphy in his 13th season as analyst for all Rockets telecasts on both stations.

KNWS, Channel 51 is a locally owned, independent station. Game coverage on KNWS will also be available on satellite beginning with the regular season. KHWB, Channel 39 is a member of the Tribune Broadcasting Corporation.

The Rockets will open their home preseason schedule on October 15, at 7:30 p.m. against the San Antonio Spurs.

2. edc

edc Contributing Member

I wonder if they mean the coverage will be free to all DirecTV satellite subscribers in Houston?

The games have to be uplinked for NBA League Pass, but that signal would normally be blacked out...

3. HaYnBoi

HaYnBoi Member

Does this mean that Fox Sports NET (ch 37) isnt going to air anymore Rockets games?

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

it says every game will be aired so i'm guessing most of the home games will still be on fssw. i don't think they had to make a new contract with them.

5. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

As soon as the game started the interference on 51 cleared up. I am picking it up without an antennae:eek: . Did they boost their signal for game time?

6. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

The signal BLOWED for me tonight. Channel 51 is channel 2 for Time Warner, and you could see the original channel 2 (NBC, channel 12 on TW) in the background. Wonder what that means. :confused: Must have some kind of relationship there.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I think FSSW still has some of the games....

Signal looked great for me on TW except for a couple of momentary hiccups insignal....

This offseason has been sooo long, damn I'm glad its over!

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

hope they show a number of games on fssw. its all i got to watch them. :(

9. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Here's your answer.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1609669

Oct. 8, 2002, 10:48PM

Rockets get two-headed TV deal
    The Rockets signed a one-year over-the-air broadcast agreement Tuesday with KNWS (Channel 51) and KHWB (Channel 39), which will combine to show 49 of 82 regular-season games.

Channel 51 began its relationship with the Rockets by airing the preseason game from Memphis on Tuesday night and will show the next three exhibition games plus 34 regular-season games. Channel 39 will air 15 regular-season games.

The remaining 33 games would be on Fox Sports Net, assuming the Rockets can reach agreement on a new contract with the cable channel. Rockets president George Postolos said talks are ongoing.

"We wanted to carry a full schedule of over-the-air games, and we think this is the best way to get that done," Postolos said.

Postolos said the stations will promote each others' broadcasts, so fans will know where to tune in.

Channel 39 last carried the Rockets' complete over-the-air schedule in the 1999-2000 season but opted not to renew its contract because of conflicts with the WB network.

"We told them three years ago that we would love to continue but couldn't," said Channel 39 general manager Tom Ehlmann. "But we told them that if they were in position to let us split the schedule with another station, we would be interested."

-- DAVID BARRON

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

rocket kid.... you arent the only one... i've had the same problem many a times.. the channel 2 showing up in back

11. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Can Time Warner do anything to fix this? Cuz it made me dizzy and my eyes can't focus even now. Oh, what I do for the Rockets. :D

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

well I"m c urrently away for college.. so at least ur seeing some of it hehe...

I was wondering if it was a problem with channel 51 but it seems to me like it must be a time warner problem... ? they could probably fix it.. if enough people complained..... since 51 isnt' the most watched station they probably havent gotten that many complaints..

13. RedTurbo

RedTurbo Member

At least you get Ch. 51 :mad:. I got 39 and FSN (FSSW).

14. jamfan74

jamfan74 Contributing Member

According to the Chronicle, it said Ch. 51 will be available on satellite. Does this mean Dish Network? Damn I hope so!