1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gaming] Tom Clancy's The Division

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by EssTooKayTD, Sep 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-US/home/index.aspx

[youtube]njfj6KwEAfg[/youtube]

Check out the gameplay trailer.

This just came across my radar a couple of days ago, and it's a game about as close to one I've been wanting and actually designing (on paper and in my head) for the longest time.

About as close to a military 3rd person, over the shoulder MMORPG as you can get. They seem to be frowning upon putting the MMO tag on it, but...well, check it out.

I did a search, and didn't come across any threads. Sorry if it was already discussed.

#1 EssTooKayTD, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Hopefully Ubisoft don't downgrade it for the sake of the Xbone.

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Embedded trailer (maybe you can quote me and edit it in):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/njfj6KwEAfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just copy the code that is under Share (next to "About") -> Embed.

I think there might have been some discussion about this during the E3 thread (where this was revealed), but not a lot IIRC. Definitely looks good. Very ambitious game.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Looks awesome. Like a triple A verison of DayZ without the zombies and just focused on PvP.

5. EssTooKayTD

I believe the take on this game is more like an MMORPG (though again, they are staying away from calling it an MMO for whatever reason), but with guns and such. So PvP being a big part of it, but not like every other "shooter" out there. Obviously, there's the over-the-shoulder 3rd person view more in line with your more common fantasy-based MMOs. You also have roles, tank, healer, damage, support...though no classes. The last time I game attempted no classes, I, personally, didn't like it. But I like that they are sticking to the roles.

The gameplay video really hints at a lot of very cool things. I'll try and not put everything in one post, since it's already getting TL;DR.

The story of the game is certainly an interesting one.

[youtube]KT_05h3EQ98[/youtube]

DarkWinter
    Directive 51

6. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

Looks and sounds very interesting. Can be hit or miss. My 2014 PS4 game purchases may consist of this game, Destiny, and Final Fantasy XV (please come out already) .

Some people actually speculated the division would be f2p, but ubisoft brushed that aside.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Looks interesting, will be following this one.

8. RC Cola

Doubt FFXV will be in 2014, and I can see The Division missing 2014 as well (it was probably going to be late 2014 as the earliest anyway). But maybe Destiny could hold you over...maybe.

9. EssTooKayTD

My first thought on the business/purchase model was since it is on PS4 and XBoxOne (along with PC) that it would be the game and any DLC. I also read a hint that one of the consoles would support a subscription based game?

I personally don't care what way they go with it. If the game is good enough, I'll pay a sub. If it's Free-To-Play with Microtransactions, I'm good with it since I like convenience items with my playtime not being what it once was before marriage and kids haha.

Anyway, do any of you guys or gals know if the consoles would support subscription based games?

10. RC Cola

PS supports subscriptions, or pretty much whatever the developer/publisher wants (F2P, subscriptions, cross-platform play, etc.).

MS tends to be more restrictive on allowing this kind of stuff. I don't think it is the subscription itself, but I think publishers often end up not releasing these types of games on Xbox because of certain policies MS has. I might be remembering wrong, but I don't think there are many subscription games on XB platforms.

FFXIV is a recent game on PS3 (and eventually PS4) that supports subscriptions I believe. Square-Enix was also able to get FFXI on Xbox IIRC, though I think that might have been a special one time deal/experiment.

There is this fitness program for XBO that has its own subscription plan (on top of XBL), so maybe MS will change its plans with XBO (or...maybe only fitness games can have a subscription, but "real" games can't?).

11. EssTooKayTD

Interesting. I believe they have teamed up with MS on this game for distribution. So...it leaves the possibility that it could be a sub on this game. I think they will go with box + DLC though.

12. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

:(

Revealed before the PS3's release, still not out yet. :mad:

13. RC Cola

I don't recall seeing the deal with MS for distribution (not sure why Ubisoft would need them for that), but I might have missed it. I know MS secured some "exclusive content" though.

14. EssTooKayTD

I could be, and am probably, mistaken, let me see if I can find the info I'm thinking about.

15. EssTooKayTD

Oh ok, he just said that they will be "partners with Microsoft at launch."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tQ_2QRQmf7U#t=222

So that's probably just the exclusive content. I found it a bit odd when it registered in my brain, haha.

I am hopeful for late 2014. I mean what they showed seemed to be a fairly polished game. We'll see though.

16. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I'm guessing that was just a "vertical slice" as they call it. Polished up one part of the game in order to demo it. I'd love to be wrong about this lol.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be underwhelming like Watch Dogs was.

19. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Awesome, thanks!

Yeah, I saw the first public look at Watch Dogs at PAX Prime 2013 and knew it was going to be more hype than delivery. With that said, I finally picked it up for $12 bucks this week so I'm looking forward to playing it after Arkham Knight.

This game, along with Quantum Break, is going to be either really awesome - or a huge let down. I don't think there is much gray area for either.

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

This game has me super stoked for some reason, am really hoping I'm not getting suckered by the trailers.