1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Astrodome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MrRoboto, Apr 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Every year, let's have people submit ideas on what can be done to the Astrodome, vote for those ideas, and then do absolutely nothing about it. This way, every year we give ourselves something to aim for, something to look forward to, something awe-inspiring, but we don't have to shell out ****loads of money to do these things.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Real, I'm good with that. It's a global landmark. The roof sparkles like a diamond when the sun hits right. NRG can't say the same.

I'm really surprised people older than me, people who actually lived its prime, talk so badly about it. It's literally the COMPLETE opposite of what usually happens among age-difference conversations. Oscar (and whoever played 50's-60's) can't not be lower than 5, if you actually lived to experience him. Ask somebody age 20-30, though.

#1062 Houstunna, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

how old are you?

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm just giving you a hard time. Your posts have not bothered me in the least over the years.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think tearing down the scoreboard and bringing the 42,000 seat stadium up to 55k made it lose its charm for a lot of people who grew up with the dome.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course it did... and in the end it became obsolete like most old sports stadiums do, because it didn't possess the vital money-making amenities that newer stadiums now have.

I don't know a single person who preferred watching baseball games at the dome vs. MMP (especially when you take into account parking, the roof/outdoor effect, seats literally right on top of the field, and downtown having more to offer than the mammoth Astrodome parking lot).

I also would say that the Astrodome was one of the worst football venues in the NFL, even in its hey-day.... from the sightlines to the playing surface to the lack of tailgating. The experience at NRG is literally night/day (as most football games are more like major events now than just another game).

#1067 Nick, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

No question... I went to hundreds of Astros games in the dome. The experience at MMP is 1000X better. I miss the dome... all of it. The smells, sights, the giant concrete ramps... but I am SO GLAD we have Minute Maid.

It's a real gem... and underappreciated outside of this city.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

MMP is definitely one of the best venues in the MLB. I'd say just a tier below all of the historic parks such as Wrigley, Fenway, etc.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

sorry but nothing will ever beat the $5 outfield in the dome. it would be packed and full of crazies!!! i used to love that and sadly MMP hasn't recreated that space.

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The only good thing about the dome was the $4 general admission outfield tickets (you could sit in the front row if you got there early enough). Right on the field.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes! The Pavilion, right? My dad and I were always there.

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

At one point some of the days were only $1.00 I remember my parents dropping me and my friends off so we could go get tickets and hang out for batting practice etc.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I seem to remember field boxes being $8 on Sundays.

But yeah, putting aside all the sentimental memories, it was actually a miserable place to watch a baseball game compared to MMP.

15. Buck Turgidson

That was my day game ticket when I could get away from work. Sometimes solo, sometimes with the boss. Change from suit to shorts in parking lot, pound 2 tallboys, smoke a bowl, head inside. Read the paper, have some dome foam, chill for a couple of innings and then move into the field boxes right past the 3B dugout and make new friends.

"General Admission" was badass (tried googling but couldn't find a pic, so here's this one)

[​IMG]

16. Buck Turgidson

Lefty's Pub on the floor in the corner was all kinds of kickass. Dante Bichette and I are close personal friends. One of my 2 or 6 greatest heckling events ever.

17. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Still have 2 Cigarette burns on my arm from walking around the Dome as a kid .... Ahhh Memories

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i was there every Sunday afternoon in the GA outfield. so much fun!!! i was also there the first time randy johnson walked out of the dugout. i'v had never seen the dome FULL before the game started. when he walked out the dugout just to warm up in the pen the place went crazy!!! the energy and buzz was electric, you had to be here!!!

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was there for that game as well. In Lefty's Pub. We traded for him and started him the same day, which added to all the excitement.

I was also there for the division clinching game in 99 that was on the TV during the live episode of ER. We stormed the field after it was over and I almost gave myself a hernia trying to slide into 2nd base without spilling my dome foam...

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Live ER/division clinger was 97, IIRC.

Hoping memory doesn't fail me yet... I'm not that old, am I?

The Randy Johnson/97-99 era of the Dome was by far the best years of the post renovation dome (for baseball). But by then, I was also brimming with anticipation for MMP, which made the final years of the dome that much more palatable.