1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peyton Manning to the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Roc Paint, May 31, 2015.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Like the Packers with Favre, Chargers with Brees and countless other teams - the Broncos like their backup. They believe in Osweiler.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yep.

It's his contract year.

They need to see him play before they commit to him, and potato head is standing in the way of that.

3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

"Peyton can't run the play-action fast enough... Trade him" -Kubiak

Kubiak might just run the Broncos into the ground... Literally.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Broncos Will Start Brock Osweiler for Remainder of Season

Manning's tenure in Denver appears to be done.

He's been adamant he's coming back for at least one more year.

If Hoyer flames out, or just putters along at typical Hoyer levels, do you entertain the idea of a one-year-rental with Manning?

Tom Brady is currently making 8MM a year. Would Peyton take a short-term deal (perhaps 2nd year non-guaranteed) in that range? And do you cut Hoyer or keep him? (will be making 5MM next year with none of it in dead cap)

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd likely say no, Donny....I don't think Manning has anything left. Bookmark this post because I may end up looking like a fool. But at his age, I don't think I'd bet on him...I think what you're seeing this year is real...and it's a product of age and injuries over a long and tremendous career.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

If Peyton accepts a short-term deal, maybe. 8MM is still a lot though if he doesn't work out. That's potentially another quality player at a spot that we could have. But I'd potentially take the risk considering the best QB we're going to get in the draft now is someone like Cook or Hackenberg. If Hoyer doesn't flame out though obviously, then I would keep him moving forward until the rookie QB drafted is ready to play.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I go back and forth on it.

Do I value Peyton Manning @ 8-10MM next year more than Hoyer @ 5MM?

Either way, you're almost certainly just keeping the seat warm until the QB we draft early in 2016 is ready to go in 2017.

It could be a Favre with the Jets situation (poor system fit, nursing injuries, etc) or a Favre with the Vikings situation. (natural fit, finally healthy, etc).

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

If you go with Manning, might as well count on the backup starting at least a few games next year

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I thought this was an actual recent quote... then I saw the date... but now it seems pretty prophetic.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Can't tell who he really is anymore but the stats show an alarming rapid decline. Not a good idea.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

We have an indoor stadium. Bring in Peyton. He hasn't had a good arm the last few years and he was still putting up great numbers.

I am going to blame Kubiak. Just let Peyton run his offense. Not the bootleg crap kubiak does.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Of course you take Manning, because we're that desperate.

But he might not finish the season as the starter. I'm not sure he can capitalize on Hopkins' abilities. Just 2 years ago Manning was money. If he can heal from an injury and get to 70% of what he was then, you have yourself a top 5 QB, albeit, not a very dynamic one.

That short game quick release would suit BOB's typical gameplans though, just worried about the Hopkins jumpballs downfield.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If a dude has bruised ribs and a torn plantar fascia he's probably going to suck at football. Just saying.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have strong feelings on it either way. I hesitate to say he has nothing left because the last time I thought he had nothing left he came back and played at extremely high levels for a couple years. But I also don't think we would get him for more than one year and that doesn't really solve our immediate problem. However, if they drafted a guy that they recognize needs at least a year of sitting and watching, maybe it would make sense to put a guy like Peyton out there who can possibly teach the youngling something. But it wouldn't bother me in the least if the team didn't even pursue him.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I said no last time and feel like an idiot because of it. I thought he was done but clearly he wasn't.

But this time I say no because I'm pretty confident he's really done.

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can hear him now screaming Oklahoma at the line.

Calling Papa...

17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Appreciate it. :cool:

Kubiak was brought in to provide the transition from Peyton. It seemed logical then, and even more so now.

I do however believe Peyton on the Texans can work if he's healthy (next year). If not... then I'll take Hoyer.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I am not sure I'd even take him over Hoyer. Manning this season has looked finished. I'd give him a flyer but 8 million is a lot of money that we could spend elsewhere.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

i mean...you can't not sign Peyton Manning. I get that he doesn't look the same. I'd let him heal up over the offseason, and take my chances. Worst comes to worst, you lose what, a couple mil? Who cares? What do we have to lose? Cut graham and moore, sign peyton, done.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Older players (and older people) tend to take longer to recover from over-use type injuries... and are likely to get another nagging issue that makes him not as good.