1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jellies in corpus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Jun 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is the beach in corpus enjoyable for a family with small children or is the jelly problem crazy there?

Was planning to go down there but got some feedback that the jellies are everywhere.

Feeback? Planning to go mid July

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Just got back from hanging at North Padre -- no jellies, had a great time.

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i have been going to corpus/padre island annually for 40 years and have only been stung once and that was b/c i stepped on it.

there have been a couple times when there was a bunch washed up on the beach, but most years we never see any.

my bigger concern would be pollution and high levels of bacteria in the ocean due to all the rain/run-off...enjoy!:p

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Only time I've really seen it be a problem in the Corpus areas was during the spring time. Otherwise, there might be a few but not an overwhelming problem. We would go to Port Aransas at least once a year for about 15 years. Now that we live in Houston area and not central TX, we go to Surfside for our fix since we can now do it in a day trip.

Beaches in Port A are nicer than Corpus, IMO. Also, staying in Port A is nice. Cheaper and family friendly. It never gets as busy there as you'd figure a beach town would during what should be busy times.

5. justtxyank

How far is Port A from Corpus? We aren't going just for beach, want to go Lexington and Aquarium and stuff as well.

6. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Went to North Padre last month and didn't see any. I have been going to Port A since I was about 14 at all times of the year and don't remember it being a real issue. It is the ocean so they are always there. I would just be ready for a sting (ointment, clean towels, ibuprofen and something to remove the stingers) because that can ruin a kids day.

7. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I think it is about 45 minutes to an hour. I am not sure if it would be faster to go through the ferry or not. Mileage wise it is not far but that ferry can be slow and backed up. We would stay in Port A and go to the Aquarium (pretty cool btw) and go eat at the original Whataburger.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Been on the internet for too long that seeing "jelly" used properly kind of threw me off.

I'm used to "...you jelly?"

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

in 45 years of hanging in Galveston, the jellies are not a persistent problem, you get some one day and not the next. there have been times of high numbers but like one day a summer or something.

saw only a couple over Memorial Day, but my friend got stung...a little

you know what I haven't seen in years though are those little diatoms that get in your suit and sting you balls. those things used to be a b****

no cabbage heads this year either

haven't stepped on a crab in more than a decade and we used to all the time
    you can't catch any in the surf with crab traps either... weird

10. leroy

Depends on which way you go. For the kids, you can take the ferry from Port A into Aransas Pass. It's about 30-45 minutes into Corpus and would take you right into where the Lex and the Aquarium are. If you go the SPID causeway, it would take about as long and through downtown Corpus. If you go over the bridge, there's a cool restaurant at the turnaround on the island side called Snoopy's. My wife requires us to stop there every time we go in for their fish sandwich.

We always do that stuff, too, but wanted to stay close to the beach since that's where we'd spend a large majority of our time.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Before taking the family to Corpus, please watch this.

12. leroy

Well, that's 24 seconds I'll never get back.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm just concerned about exposing small children to... that.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I'm more concerned how you would have found that video, to share it. Are you subscribed to the group's youtube channel?

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

99% sure I first saw it here on CF. And I just have never been able to forget it.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Someone already responded, but it is not far and definitely doable.

The problem, as noted, with the ferry, is if it gets busy. This will be the case on holiday weekends. You can also go the back way.

We don't do Port A, but Rockport, which is just a tad further north. We've made the trip from Rockport to Corpus a number of times. It's 45 minutes. The aquarium there is pretty nice. The Lexington is nice as well, though honestly I wouldn't go with irresponsible young kids that you can't keep your eye on.

If beaches and outdoor activity is your goal, I think Port A or Rockport are the better options.

we were in Rockport last weekend and I didn't come across any jellyfish at the beach. Of course, it was more active given all the rain and it was relatively windy. I have been at the Rockport beach when there were definitely jellyfish... it kind of just depends on the time of year and events. You might be able to find a report online.

17. justtxyank

It will be late July, intentionally skipping July 4th.

Is Corpus ghetto now lol?

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I've lived in Corpus for 15 years. Like any city, some parts are very nice, and some parts are ghetto. That doesn't change.

And it's generally faster to skip the ferry and go the other way, if you're going from Corpus to Port A.

19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

folks, we got a hardcore gangsta rap battle in the CC!

im scared to even contemplate how "only a handful family" responded to this dis track.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r4XKDDndStQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Buck Turgidson