1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tmactoyao, Dec 18, 2009.

1. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Look at his stats today against the Nuggets:
    30 points, 9 rebs, 19 asts, 4 TOS( still a 5:1 ast/to ratio!!)
    he nearly had a triple double 30-20-10!!
    he shot 65 % (13-20) and hit a three.
    chris paul is amazing, and the best thing is, they beat the nuggets.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Would have been more amazing if he actually had GOTTEN a triple double but sick as usual.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It takes monstrous games like these for the Hornets to beat good teams. Paul needs some help, but I don't think he will get it with the Hornets' bad contracts.

5. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

In my opinion, Deron Williams has surpassed him as the best PG in the NBA. If it's not Deron, then It's Steve Nash. I think Chris Paul is the 3rd best PG in the NBA now. I remember an article by Fox Sports talking about how overrated Chris Paul is, made by Charly Rosen. It starting to seem so, he will post big stats, but those stats will not necessarily help his team win ball games all the time.

6. 1individual

1individual Member

I would take Paul over an aging Nash. And Deron Williams is a great PG, but Chris Paul has more potential.

7. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

I don't see that actually. He relies on quickness, speed and athleticism more than Deron does from what I see. My favorite aspect from Chris Paul's game is how he never turns the ball over despite having the ball in his hands for as long as he holds it each and every night. Deron is a bit turnover prone, but he's the much better shooter and he's a threat in the post, as I saw in the Jazz-Magic game about a week ago where Deron just shredded the Magic defense.

8. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Look at his team up and down and compare it with the Jazz or Suns. NOH has no bench because their salary cap is filled up with overpaid over the hill players. You can say the same for Wade this year then. Big stats, but the heat are average at best.

9. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Last season, Everybody said the Hornets had the better team than the Jazz, probably because Boozer was injured and didn't care at that point. It's my opinion that D-Will is better than CP3 anyways. Chris Paul is just letting his true colors shine this season.

10. ts2mars

ts2mars Member

by agreeing with mr. rosen, your post automatically = dumb.

11. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Charly Rosen is a pretty credible source, I Don't know why anybody doesn't think he's one.

12. Lovemachine2000

In today's league, CPIII is a clear cut above Deron Williams because of the rules favoring speedy players.

And while I agree DWill is the better shooter, check out Paul's shooting stats. His FG% and 3PT% are both out of the world, simply because defenders have to respect his speed and agility and give him extra space.

13. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Whenever one player is 80% of your offense, it's bad for the team. A balanced team should have at least 2 players that can create. Only that kind of team can win a champion, 94's Rockets may be the only exception in last 30 years.

Holinger of BSPN always raves about high PER players and call them MVP. I'd rather call them ballhogs. When you hold the ball for every possession until you either score or an open teammate, your teammates do not touch the ball enough and you expend too much energy.

That's why I think Deron is a better player and has much better potential. Deron can play without the ball, Paul can't. Jazz has a balanced attack which is not just P&R, but also cut and share. As a result, Jazz have many more assists as a team, and that's a much better indicator than your primary playmaker's individual assist number.

14. 1individual

1individual Member

One thing I forgot to mention, Deron is one of the worst defenders in the league as PG. Paul is decent.

15. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

:confused: Deron's a better defender than Paul if anything at least as far as individual defenders goes. It's easier to get your shot up against Paul then it is against Williams. It's probably easier to drive past Williams then Paul though, because of the defenses today.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I put in a google search of the following all star players names, followed by the word "overrated" to see if it'd auto-complete the word in the search box. Meaning a lot of people type it in the search enough to have the label attached to them:
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Steve Nash
    Tim Duncan
    Yao Ming
    Kobe Bryant
    Lebron James
    Tracy McGrady
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Kevin Garnett

ALL of them had the 'overrated' term auto-completed, except Shaq and Deron Williams.

Analysis can be quite subjective and wildly up to personal interpretation. When 4 out of 5 star players in the league are overrated.

17. 1individual

1individual Member

Was from a Salt Lake City report last month.
    Deron wouldn't be considered overrated since he's never been voted into the All-star game.

18. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Chris Paul = Future Hall of Famer.

Whoever is getting Paul out of the Hornet's struggling hands will be very happy for the next 10 years.