1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone here actually know a bit about Terrence Williams?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 15, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's pretty clear that the guy has many problems, yet basically unlimited potential(physically speaking). So the questions are: Where is he now? Where can he improve? Where is he pretty much reached his ceiling?

To me, two things stick out.

1. His shooting, or lack thereof. Can this improve? Obviously it doesn't help that he played on a horrible team where everyone just jack up shots whenever they want. But he definitely isn't a great shooter. Can this improve with coaching and better shot selection? Or is he just that bad?

2. His BBall IQ/attitude. The guy obviously doesn't make the best decisions both on and off the court. But is this just him not being coached correctly? Not put in the best position to succeed? Or is his head about the size of Stromile Swift's? There's a big difference. If he's just an idiot, then there's nothing to do. But immaturity can improve with good environment and time.

It seems like he can already do certain things that gets minutes on the court. Specifically defend when cares enough, and can create offense in various ways(just not very well). And assuming he doesn't meltdown mentally ala Griffin/Wafer can be a rotation player for us. But how high is his ceiling anyway when you take into account everything. Not just physical tools?

2. trugoy

trugoy Member

he spent 4 years under rick pitino so the excuse of lack of coaching doesn't really apply.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Gonna watch the two pre-season games today!! ;)

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

In terms of shooting I think of D-wade.

He can work hard at it but because of his ability to attack the rim he doesn't work hard enough on it. Being around Kevin and Luis should help him gain a respect for consent repetition and working on his shot though.

He has good Basketball IQ. Plays great man to man defense and doesn't really gamble. He does see the court very well and can create for others very easily kinda (no way comparing him) like Lebron.

He needs playing time. Consistent playing time and a coach how allows him to control the ball for spurts. He needs the ball in his hand but can create for others. I think he and AB would work great together.

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Relax, you are melting down mentally. The kid has not even played one minute here. He will be good. He will contribute this year. He is overall better than C-Bud. He will only cost us a non lottery 1st round pick. That is more than another lottery pick that hasn't contributed anything so far this year. Relax, breathe.

6. kookoo4tofu

kookoo4tofu Member

my guess is at worst he'll be like a courtney lee clone and at best a possible jason richardson type player.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You will be mostly impressed. I remember thinking we suck at SF. Why can't we find a guy like this that can take it to the rack and hit an open shot.

My gut says he got into it with Avery and lost that fight. That's not a biggie because I always felt Avery had a Napoleon complex.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

well obviously he is better than Bud but not Battier

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think his shooting won't ever be at Martin's level but from what I've been reading the guy has some great playmaking ability. As far as the off the court stuff, the guy missed a few practices and clashed with AJ, it seems that most of his issues are with the coaching staff and not personal problems or trouble making.

I like this quote from Feigen's blog, in fact has me really excited...

(Williams is about potential, but his defensive potential is outstanding, one of the keys to making the deal. The Lee deal is obviously looking better all the time. He's played very well this month. -- Jonathan)

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2010/12/rockets_roll_the_dice_gamble_o.html

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Battier is miles ahead as a spot up shooter and team defender but Williams is a way better passer, scorer, above the rim player. Williams can also give Shane a run for his money as a man to man defender.

11. conquistador#11

Right now, he reminds me more of eddie griffin.
    The line of thinking being, that if you spend time with Shane Battier some awesomeness might rub off. Look at Ron Artest, when he defends a shot, he will apply the BATPALM to the shooter.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think looking at his college numbers could help shed some light on his shooting.

[​IMG]

Two things that stick out:

-FT Shooting.. downright terrible. I'd like to think that FT% would be a good indicator of how good of a shooter you are. Instead of working hard to improve his FT%, it seems like it only got worse the more he 'developed' in college. That said, he was a 71% shooter from the foul line last year (144 attempts), so perhaps he finally made strides in his shooting when preparing for the NBA?

-3PT Shooting.. looks like he made a big jump in his senior season. I don't think he'll ever be considered a great shooter from downtown though. He shot 31% from the three point line in 100 attempts last year.. not the biggest sample size, but obviously shows a weakness. However, I don't mean to overstate the importance of his ability to hit the three.. Kobe Bryant is also a poor three point shooter (career 34%) and has done just fine finding other ways to score. Not to compare the two, but if TWill can make up for his lack of outside shooting with penetration and a mid-range game, I don't think his struggles will be as noticeable. He only took 100 3s in 78 games, so I don't think it will be a McGrady situation of a player loving to shoot the three despite poor percentages.

Players can always improve their shooting with hard work, it's just about their drive to get better and actually improve. I don't think he'll ever be confused with a sharpshooter, but if he can raise his 3PT averages to around 35%, I don't think many will complain.

His FT shooting, on the other hand, will need to drastically improve and show consistency. Lots of players become better FT shooters as their careers develop, so hopefully we'll be able to add TWill's name to that list.

13. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Superior analysis.

14. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

He has much higher upside than J-Rich. The guy has athleticism for days. If he can harness it, tone it down with the attitude, and just play basketball, I don't see how this guy doesn't become an 18-20 pt. scorer. That's how much good I think T-Will can be.

15. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

The man attacks the basket.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vpzY-l37xpU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vpzY-l37xpU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

16. Chamillionaire

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAQ06NA79cs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAQ06NA79cs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

17. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

here is his write up from nbadraft.net and a link to the forums. They call him 'the oscar robertson of the D league

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/terrence-williams

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/terrance-williams-0

"NBA Comparison: JR Rider/Corey Maggette

Strengths: Freakish athlete with a good build and a great feel for the game ... Really showed that he has matured from his freshman year, by leading Louisville to the overall number 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament and an Elite Eight appearance ... He is a triple-double waiting to happen, averaged over 12 points per game, 8 rebounds per game, and over 5 assists per game ... He also led the team in steals with over 2 per game ... He is a defensive stopper who is able to guard multiple positions on the floor which should help him at the next level ... His vision and ability to pass are standout for a wing player ... Showed throughout the season that he has good ball handling skills and court sense ... Will be a 2-3 at the next level ... Has a great knack for knowing where the ball is, giving him an edge on the boards ... Put in the right situation, with the right expectations, he can really excel at the next level ...

Weaknesses: Although he has improved his 3-point shooting over his collegiate career from 31% to 38% his senior year, he will really need to continue his development at the NBA level. His offensive game remains his biggest weakness as he struggles to put points on the board consistently ... If his shot isn't dropping and an athletic defender is keeping him from getting to the rim, his offensive game goes into the tank ... Also needs to improve his ability to drive in the lane with his off-hand as well as continuing to develop his ball-handling ... These will be particularly important if he wants to play the 2 at the next level ... Sometimes likes to go for the "highlight" reel play instead of just making the easy play, and seems too relaxed when he's out on the court ... Can fade in and out of games. Needs to develop a killer instinct at all times ..."

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

EDITs

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i guess the only question is whether he can be mature or not or how fast he can be mature. you don't want see it after he retires.

20. kookoo4tofu

kookoo4tofu Member

I do hope so. JRich did win the dunk contest 2 yrs in a row though so that's some pretty good athleticism right there. Seems like Williams just needs to work on his shooting but that's something that can be improved upon.