1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Breakdown of what not to do in Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J623_Rockets, May 21, 2015.

1. J623_Rockets

J623_Rockets Member

And how to prevent from making the same mistakes in Game 2

I know there are other threads out there which have covered similar areas..

But this is a video breakdown with good commentating from a coach, who is supposed to be unbiased (and H**L even this guy recognized the Moving Screens and Non-calls in Game 1)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XLfAgW59aiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Summary:

1. Stop unnecessary switches on Defense;
    2. Better communication on D (specifically Brewer and our PGs...);
    3. More movement on O (obvious but do something about it Mchale);
    4. Refs

And as a side note, I don't get why we seem to always switch on screens when defending... so many unnecessary switches that led to poor match-ups/rotations that became scoring opportunities for the opponents

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's so the ball handler doesn't turn the corner to the hoop or get an open jumper behind the screen. I love the old trap-and-rotate JVG system, but that takes a lot of time to learn properly. There are many ways to play a screen. switching has to be in the repertoire. Every D, has it benefits and drawbacks.

1 person likes this.
  3. J623_Rockets

J623_Rockets Member

Thanks for the explanation, Kim.

Yes, I agree with you that every D has its pros and cons; however, I feel we should employ "ICE":

like how the Bulls does where the wing and the big forces the ball handler to the baseline side, and you only give up a long mid-range jumper from opponent's big

more so than switching, based on our personnel (and especially when we don't have Howard as the last safety in Game 1).

Our bigs ain't as versatile on D as the likes of (hate to say it) Draymond Green..

4. vmerc13

vmerc13 Member

Great Video

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'm hoping Kevin attempts to use the corner zone. That allows Curry to run without us chasing and collapsing our defense.

**James needs to play inside-out. He's effective when he starts from the paint and gets going, then slowly takes his shot farther out.

**Do not double Steph Curry. Live with contested shots. Don't free up Klay/Dray/Iggy/Leo etc just to double Steph.

-Defensive Rebounds: Limit GS to one shot down each time.

-Trevor on Curry/Jet on Klay; Rotate to Corey on Curry, quickly.

-Josh Smith needs to play in the post, ATL style. If Dwight is out :p we need some buckets over an overrated Draymond.

-Timeouts: That's on Kevin. I've beaten a dead horse. Efficient coaching is a must.

-Stop the role players, or counter them with ours. Shaun Livingston is not Jamal Crawford. Play him harder.

-Ariza needs to be out there 42+ minutes, possibly on Curry.

-Josh/Clint have to put together 30 and 20 together, if Dwight is out :p

-Jet needs a decent pick for a jumper, a la Dallas days

-Capella cannot have butter fingers.

****Wildcard move that I would use: Josh Smith should handle the ball a lot this game. He's too big for Dray and can spread the floor. This would free up James in different areas. When Josh has room to penetrate, he's a great passer for the oop or out to our gunners. I'd put him in an Anthony Mason role, where he's been great for us. See: Game 6.

6. OpenLayup-Why3?

Guards doing terrible job staying in front of their man was a problem all season long

7. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

It's a good breakdown but I remember watching his videos before and he's a huge Lin fan so it's possible he's slightly biased towards the Warriors.

8. Jiramisu

Jiramisu Member

Big thing I got from this video is that even though we didn't get some calls from the refs, it seems like Josh and Brewer sleeping on defense is what really killed us. Josh missed so many back cuts and Brewer was a step too slow in guarding his man's cuts.

Maybe they rely on Dwight too much :(

9. Precision340

Precision340 Member

point of emphasis is going to be how the refs call those illegal picks.. if they are not going to be making those calls expect the warriors to get a lot of open looks.. and please baby jesus limit those unforced turnovers!!

10. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

One thing that the Rockets have to do is to close out HARD but under Control on the illegal screen picks. We have to try to go around the first pick, but if they try to do a moving screen, we have to go ahead and run into them and allow the contact to dislodge us completely to SHOW the refs the clear moving screens.

We can't just be passive and move with the moving screen, or it will NEVER get called!

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I felt the same way. Between Smith getting lost on all the different screens (albeit MOVING screens), and Brewer and Terry just being a step slow and allowing easy lay-ups, we have a LOT to shore up defensively. The refs certainly played a part in the outcome, but even with their ineptitude, we still had a shot if it weren't for botched defensive rotations at critical times.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Disagree wholeheartedly with this one. Curry's efficiency %'s when switched with a big are really low. His worst actually. Especially true the more Clinty plays, he did a great job. Check this link, it's BR but a really good article with video analysis. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2470867-breaking-down-the-houston-rockets-guide-to-defending-stephen-curry

Data says we need to keep switching bigs onto Curry.

I agree with all of your other points especially Brewer's terrible off the ball defense and the crap Refs.

13. 757dstreet

757dstreet Member

Whoa, a three digit member! Also, thanks for knowing what you're talking about instead of spitting out overly home-team biased jargon.