1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Time] Chinese officials want Lin on National Team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Feb 22, 2012.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Pathetic, but I wouldn't be surprised if Xinhua follows this up by "renouncing" the call for Lin to do this. Maybe an editor got ahead of himself.

2. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

This kind of rumor is disgusting.

It is unbelievable that someone with any amount of intelligence would bite it.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I really hope China is not threatening his family behind the scenes.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lol have you guys seen their PGs for Team China? Not sure but I think Liu Wei, whos been like their only PG ever, is still point and they have that Chinese Iverson guy. At this point they would probably take Lin's brother.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If I was China I would also ask LeBron the same thing.

You never know.

1 person likes this.
  7. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Then you probably don't have a very firm grasp of global affairs or much interest in history.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The title is a bit sensationalistic, you're right. Sorry.

What they "want" is for Lin to play for their national team. But as the requirement is that he must make himself a Chinese citizen to do so, it seems like they are trying to "claim" him, doesn't it?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

C'mon now it's not Lin is a perennial allstar.
    He hasn't finished the season and it's a hot start yes.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You do realize China was a huge violator of human rights for the past century right? Something like this could entirely be plausible.
    EDIT: The heading threw me off though. I thought China was demanding Lin drop his US citizenship...

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't think any country would do it.... It's a team's game. If they have a glaring hole at the 1, they should address it long term. Lin is just a short term fix.
    Anyway this is coming out of nowhere, c'mon RR don't throw in politics so blatantly.

FIBA basketball is less star oriented and more team based. Lin wouldn't score that much.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It would be far from the first time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes folks who are pretty good but would never get a US invite play the "grandparent" loophole card and play mercenary for someone else so that they get an Olympics experience they'd otherwise never have.

1 person likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is standard procedure for any player playing for any country not his born country. Scola has both Spanish and Argentinian passport. He could play for both countries.
    China happens to prohit dual citizenship.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Exactly, this is done in soccer all the time, team USA had many European players over the last few decades. I don't know if it will make sense in Lin's case, but if he is able to get huge endorsements from China, who can blame him if he decides to switch?

1 person likes this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You have to understand the history between Taiwand and China to understand that, these countries have been in conflict for years.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah... but Chinese Taipei's BBall team is inferior to Mainland's
    They did improve throughout the years tho.
    China should groom its own guards otherwise hope for Lin's choice. It's his.
    If he can't crack Team US team, he should consider playing for China in the Olympics.
    At some point China was in the Quarterfinals.... that meant among the 8 best teams. Taiwan is never going to do that in the near future.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He's never going to make it on Team USA with all the good PGs that have been produced.

Dwill and Paul are probably going to be mainstays and Colangelo will probably always use a vet in there. Oh yeah also you have Westbrook and Rose...Rondo...and even Wall if he gets his stuff together... That's some tuff competition at PG.

18. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

this happens a lot in soccer.

And basketball.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

In the end money talks. China will acquiesce to get a player of his renown on their team.

People complaining about basketball defections need to look at soccer, where if you don't make your native soccer team then you're basically a free agent for the other countries out there to claim, regardless of your background. Hell I believe that if Kyrie Irving can't make our team initially, then he should go play for Australia where he was born. It's not like he can't come back and play for us four years later when he really will be the best PG in the world.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I know China would be a better choice from a sports perspective, but the main point here should be pride and independence from China. Majority of Taiwanese people don't symphatize with China and would never play for that crude government. Lin didn't grow up in Taiwan so he maybe doesn't feel that way.
    It's his choice, but I doubt he would pick China given the history of the countries.