1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Hardwood Paroxysm] Defending Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Zergling

Zergling Member

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2014/07/16/defending-daryl-morey-houston-rockets-nba-free-agency/

Excellent read and should be forwarded to any of the haters. I'm confident that Morey (as he usually does) will end up having the last laugh.

2. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I agree. Every time we bash Morey, he ends up making us appreciate him even more. That Pelicans pick is very important to our success.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Never should have let Parsons become a RFA once Fegan became his agent.

4. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Yeah, it was a definite loss because we had Parsons locked up cheap for another year.

5. bmd

bmd Member

I agree... all of these teams signing these average vets to bigger contracts than they are worth are the real losers here.

Although it wasn't the "splash" everybody wanted, Morey is doing the responsible thing for the future of the team.

Think of it in terms of the game of pool. Average players will get pretty good at hitting the balls into the pockets. But the really good players are the guys who can not only hit the balls in the pockets, but they also think strategically by using their current shot to set themselves up for their next shot.

Morey isn't thinking about building a team with a second-round ceiling. He's thinking about building a team with no ceiling. A team that can go all the way.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's true. In the NBA, you often win by losing. Literally. Look at the 76'ers. Huge losers on the court, major winners as a whole. We're just ****ing tired of 1st round losses.

7. Classic

Classic Member

Lot of speculation in there.

Need to see the rest of the moves this summer and how Dorsey and I. Canaan play before I declare the depth is no problem argument.

8. bmd

bmd Member

I'm more confident in Dorsey than Canaan. Dorsey can play some D and rebound for 15 minutes a night. He's been around.

Canaan is still very young and has hardly played any real minutes in the NBA. There is much more pressure on expecting a young player to go in there and score.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Great read!

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

meh. I feel like the b****ing phase is over now. Every thread I see addressing the Parsons topic just burns like salt on a healing wound.

11. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

How can you have been here since 2002 and still not be familiar enough with the way things work to understand why that was necessary?

12. Rockie_rocker

Rockie_rocker Member

Morey just did what he's supposed to, and it just turned out not pleasant, except i extend one year with Mchale

13. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You're right, I hope Canaan does well, but I have yet to see him play well for more than a few minutes here and there.

14. micah1j

micah1j Member

Really?

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think he's wrong on every point.

Loss of Lin plus 1st rounder doesn't matter: What are we replacing him with? Canaan? He has basically no NBA experience yet. Lin had some veteran experience.

Asik replaced by Dorsey: Seriously? Yeah, we couldn't maximize Asik's talent, and yeah Dorsey is a lot cheaper. But, looking at the raw utility this coming season we'll get fewer wins with Dorsey than we would have with Asik. How does he say this with a straight face?

Look at Lin/Asik as one big transaction where we upgraded our draft pick: Ok, sure. We moved up 10 places in the next draft. And we got a trade exception and cap flexibility. For what? Is Kevin Love getting dumped at midseason for capspace and a mid-teens draft pick? Because if we're not using that flexibility for the third star, we'll only be using it for a flippable asset that will be gone again in a year, probably by walking out the door in the name of cap space.

Bench is okay: No, we replaced 3 rotation veterans with Ariza and rookies and journeymen.

Parsons isn't twice as good as Ariza: That's true, but in the NBA economy, player value increases logarithmically not arithmetically.

Parsons would have left as a UFA is we didn't decline his option: I don't think that's plain. In fact, I think his restricted status induced an unreasonable offer and forced Parsons out. As a UFA, Parsons could take the Mavs' max offer back to the Rockets and get a counter offer that doesn't have to be higher. With RFA, Morey told him to go find the best offer he could, and Parsons did -- which was poison pilled. That sort of reckless offers aren't made to UFAs.

4 people like this.
  16. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

How can you see that when "those teams" have better rosters than we do lol. So would you rather thrown extra $$$ at a solid role player, or keep resigning scrubs like Joey Dorsey? The REAL loser is us, because we have 2 allstars who'll probably want out once they realize how terrible their supporting cast is. So while Dallas is upgrading their roster to compete for a championship next season, Daryl Morey's calling up washed up D-league players. Who's really the loser?

17. Nook

Nook Member

The problem I see is that the Rockets are potentially going to be relying on a number of unproven bench players, and that is a dicey proposition. Having said that, it is better than the alternative which is signing veterans and limiting the ability to make massive improvement in the future.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Dallas isn't competing for a Championship next year.

19. Classic

Classic Member

I'm with you. Just on the phone so didn't feel like typing everything out but you're spot on.

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Say who? They're certainly in a better position than we are