1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does Hakeem Olajuwon rank among Centers of all-time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketKobe24, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Where does Olajuwon rank as a center of all-time?

1. He's the GOAT Center

231 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. 2nd best center of all-time

78 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. 3rd best center of all-time

97 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. 4th best center of all-time

47 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. 5th best center of all-time

32 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Not Top 5.

7 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

Here are centers that are Top 5 to me, not in order of course.

Shaq
    Bill Russell
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Kareem
    Hakeem Olajuwon

I think it's quite clear Hakeem is a Top 5 center of all-time, but where do you think he ranks? Please list your Top 5 list if you don't agree with mine

2. WillG

WillG Member

Rusell is overrated. Ill say hes for sure top 3

3. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

I was gonna post this as a poll, but asked if he had played in L.A. or New York, how would he have been recognized? Probably best ever.

4. Summer Song Giver

Top 5 but probably not 1 or 2, anything beyond that and you've got a leg to stand on imo.

5. mbiker

mbiker Member

Wilt Chamberlain
    Bill Russell
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Shaq
    Hakeem Olajuwon

6. Republic

Republic Member

Hakeem is #1. No other center compares. Hakeem would run circles around any of these guys. In fact, he did.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Wilt
    Kareem
    Hakeem
    Shaq
    Russell

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rocket ... Kobe ... ug.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he did? please show me the footage of hakeem vs. wilt/russell!! you have the GOAT videos, clearly..

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If i'm building a team, give me Hakeem.

No one did it on both ends of the floor like him.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

same for me

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Have to agree with this.

Chamberlain is the only guy that I wouldn't pick Hakeem in a heartbeat over.

13. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

In my opinion he is either 4th or 5th best. Sorry guys, but I think what Russell, Wilt and Kareem did during their careers was just incredible. Russell with his 11 rings, and he led doing that with his defense and rebounding. Russell also claimed himself a better offensive player than defense, I have link if you want proof.

Kareem, I think it's obvious he's better than Hakeem, It's nothing to be ashamed about to be honest. Kareem was dominant as a Buck and as a Laker, he dominated on both ends as well. People say if Blocks counted when Kareem was a rookie he probably would have more blocks than Hakeem.

Wilt? Arguably the most dominant center ever he and Shaq. Averaging 50 PPG? Unbelievable stat and nobody will ever do that again. Although they did play in a weaker ERA, There are not many players who can do that, he had rings as well.

It really just comes down to Shaq and Hakeem for me.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

1. Kareem
    2. Hakeem
    3. Shaq

I'm sorry but anybody before the Doctor J era has little legitimacy in my mind. Dr. J instituted a new kind of athleticism around the league, but before him the kind of guys like Wilt and Russell were going up against were undersized AND slow. Kareem I put over Hakeem because sometimes in basketball moves can overcome athleticism. Kareem has the scoring record for a reason--he was just unstoppable, simple at that. It was pretty like Hakeem made the game look, but it worked.

Kinda like comparing Tim Duncan to Kevin Garnett. Garnett is a specimen but Duncan just gets the job done better.

15. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Horrible name.

Are you a Rocket fan or a Kobe fan OP? Cause Heaven knows you can't be both son.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Depends how you look at it. If you want to count it in wins its easily Russell. Longevity, easily Jabbar (Emmitt Smith rule). Dominance at any one time, Shaq. Statistically, Chamberlain...

But no one had the combo of power, agility, at both ends, like Hakeem. During his prime there is no center that could have possibly stopped him. At his peak, Olajuwon would have mopped the floor with anyone.

My only knock on Hakeem is that his desire seemed to wane as he got older and had the 2 rings under his belt. Could have been injury and age though.

17. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

Kobe is my favorite player, Rockets are my favorite team. I've been a fan of Kobe since he's came into the league. Unless that's illegal.

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

1. Russell
    2. Hakeem
    3. Shaq
    4. Kareem
    5. Chamberlain

In terms of winning, not in terms of who was more entertaining to watch or had the better conventional statistics. You can't argue with being the captain of 11 championship teams.

Hakeem's quickness and fire were undeniable. But he did beat Shaq in their only championship matchup.

Shaq was the sledgehammer to Hakeem's paintbrush. In his prime no one could even slow Shaq down.

Kareem's longevity and productivity counts for something. A little boring, but still great.

Greatest stats of all time.

19. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Top 3 all time!

20. Gerrard

Gerrard Member

Top 5, to me there isn't a clear cut 1 2 3 4 or 5 in the center position so in any order the top 5 were Shaq, Kareem, Russel, Chamberlain and Olajuwon.