1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Love: How would he fit as a Rocket?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by durvasa, Mar 27, 2008.

Tags:
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Just want to hear the opinions of those who are more familiar with the college game. How would Kevin Love fit in Adelman's system? I'd be hesitant to add another slow, unathletic player to the mix, but his offensive skill set seems perfect for our high post offense.

It's possible he'll be picked well before our turn in the draft, but if he's available is that a good choice for us?

2. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I'm sorry but I just have too much hate for the Bruins now, even though Love is good player by his own right. But NO, we do not need him a slow, unathletic PF, no matter how skilled he is. (We have Landry). And he will probably be taken in anywhere between 5-20 pick range anyways.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

unlike my man above I am bruin and have nothing but love for them, I've attended several of the home games this year for UCLA and i absolutely (sorry for the lame pun) LOVE the kid.

I am not positive as to how he can make the leap to the NBA but the guy is an extremely smart player and sees the court incredibly well. I work in westwood and go up to campus still to grab some lunch with some old buddies and all and bumped into him once on campus. The guy is a nice wide body.

pros: Soft but incredibly strong hands, plays decent position defense, great rebounder both offensive and defensive. Limited, but very effective post moves down low. Range extended out to 20 feet. Relentless worker he keeps going at it. He actually better leaping ability than I thought but still not out of this world. His court vision is simply amazing and his ability to start the fast break via his outlet passes is unparalleled. He is mentally strong and seems to have the 'it' factor when it comes to players. He played incredibly huge in UCLA's game against TAMU last week and has had some of his biggest performances in UCLA's biggest games. Good free throw shooter so fouling him late is not a good option for opposing defenses. Knows how to establish and seal his man on the low block.

cons: obviously his athleticism, he isnt a long armed athlete who can jump out of the gym. nor is he the fastest guy on the court. Often he is trailing his man down the court. Defensively is doesnt seem to be aware of his man or where his rotations are supposed to be in Howland's constant rotating defense, but he has improved as the season has gone along. Needs to develop a bit more of post game outside of his 'turn towards his left shoulder right hand jump hook' develop his left hand some more. at times (at could be more of UCLA's guards instead of his) he seals man, calls for the ball does not receive he looks visibly dejected and it effects his effort on that possession and ensuing possession. Though he can hit the 3 ball he sometimes falls in love with it instead of playing to his strength underneath.

Everything considered I think if he slips low enough with teams banking on athleticism and potential he can be a HUGE asset to have especially in adeleman's offense. People talk about his outlet passes but he is just as crafty and skilled passer in a half court set. I can see Love being a huge impact player on a team but never really being an all-star or main guy. Much like a shane battier, a guy who wont be an all-star and all but every GM in the league wants a guy like him because he helps the team win.

Personally I'd be the happiest guy in the world if the rockets were somehow able to get Kevin, but I dont think it will happen he is more than likely (98%) going to declare for the draft and be a lottery pick, unless his stock does drop that low. If HS kids were still eligible for the draft I would say we would have a much better shot at landing him in the 20s. but for now its just a nice dream

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'd take him on my team. He's a bruiser and he's just flat out a good, old-fashioned "basketball player". No, he's not your typical likely half r****ded, crazy athlete that can jump out of the gym and has boatloads of upside but this kid obviously knows him to play the game the right way. He's a winner and has all the intangibles. He's definitely one of those guys that won't hurt you when he's on the court. PF equivalent of Shane Battier?

That being said, we don't really need him. Scola/Landry/Chuck/Harris seems to be a pretty decent core to run with at PF. Now, if you can expand Landry's game to make him more of a 3/4 then I would consider adding a legit four like Love.

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Why would we draft him? I think the Rockets will go after a SF/SG position.

Even if we pick the guy, can he play SF/SG? If he's pure PF, he's not going to take Scola or Landry's job. He might take Mike Harris's spot, but he will barely see the floor. We've got too deep of a bench to give him playing time.

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Fixed it for you ;)

... but for real. I think he is a good player, but I think he is going to end up being marginal at the NBA level due to the jump in talent that he won't be able to keep up with.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

yeah he got away with some fouls but its not like he receives more than he dishes out. the guys been hammered soo many times without any sort of whistle that its ridiculous. its expected when you are a physical player like him.

8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Since CB4 retired, the PF spot has been a question mark for the Rockets until lately. Now it is probably the deepest position on the team.

K Love doesn't project to be a backup 5 any better than Scola currently plays it. Landry or Harris or Hayes would have to get extensive minutes at the 3 to make room for Love at the 4.

Just don't see him in a Rockets uniform considering the depth at the 4 and needs to bolster the bench at the other positions.

9. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I think we have bigger needs, but if it somehow actualized, I think Love would be exactly the type of player you want next to Yao. This is of course denying the talent that we already have at the power forward, which would have to lose floor time to make room for Love. I'm satisfied with Landry/Scola so I wouldn't mortgage the farm for this kid, but I am certifiably impressed with his game. I can see him being a 15 season player who doesn't necessarily fill up the highlight reel but understands his role and makes his teammates better.

10. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

I agree... KLove is nice, but we don't really need him. Need a big, smart, & athletic 2/3 and we need a new backup Center (bad). But I'd be really hesitant to pick-up my backup center in the draft, maybe better to look at free-agency, but what do I know.....

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nah, we have his position covered.

I would rather we get an attacking perimeter player...

DD

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I was thinking that Love could fill in the backup Center role for us. It would be a pretty crowded front court, though. I just wish we had a great passing big in this system. I don't think any of our bigs have the passing ability that Divac, Miller, or Webber had.

13. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

Love would look great in a Rockets uniform. :D

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

We pick around the 22-24 range this year. Kevin Love would be a good value there. He's big, got a decent jumper, and isn't afraid to push people around down low.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He'd be the protypical guy you'd want for a high post motion offense.

He can shoot, he's got a very high bball IQ, selfless with a good knack for passing to guys in the right spots. Can dive to the hole and get a few tip ins.

Downsides are his speed and explosiveness are below average for NBA centers, and he's only got the size to be a PF (6-9). Can't jump at all, either. It's not likely that he'd be more than a mediocore rebounder. He'd be eaten on defense by either 4s or 5s, and would be a very poor compliment to Yao in that regard.

As a F/C backup, he'd be a nice addition, especially on teams that use the high post. He's projected to go in the lottery right now, and I would not try to trade up to get him. If he fell down to us and there wasn't a good swingman with size available, he wouldn't be a bad decision.

Evan

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Brad Miller-lite?

17. acerockets

acerockets Member

hes gunna be a lottery pick
    and hopefully we are not a lottery team

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He will be picked before we get there, but that being said I still think he'd fit the Rockets well. Look at Luis Scola, he's not very athletic in terms of jumping ability, but he can finish and shoot the outside jumper and that is SUCH an improvement over what our previous PF's were doing.

Kevin Love would bring an added dimension beyond that of passing. Every time I see him make a great pass I am reminded of another PF that is always referred to as the best-passing PF in our era, one who also had much success under Adelman (in Sacramento, if you haven't gotten it yet).

19. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Brad Miller lite like someone said..
    he would make a good backup C/PF

imagine:

Scola/Landry
    Yao/Brad Mill - er, Kevin Love

that would a crazy frontcourt.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

cant believe some ppl would pass on Kevin Love, if given the chance to draft him lol

he wont be there though